Sign in to follow this  
Sheerstress

Weidman retains title

Not that Weidman did anything wrong, but this was hardly definitive. Weidman won a strong 10-9 in Round 1. Silva was winning slightly IMO in the second round, but it was very early in the round. The most important thing I took out of this fight was that there is no question that what happened in the first fight was no fluke, Weidman is very much on Silva's level. Silva is likely done after that injury, so we may never see a legitimate rematch. Even if he comes back, he's not likely to be close to the fighter he was. Weidman is the lead dog at 185.

Weidman won three out of three rounds against Silva prior to the round in which Silva broke his leg. I don't see any reason to question Weidman's belt. He's the champ. He'll have a bunch of tough challengers to deal with. Namely, Belfort, Souza, and Machida.

That said, that was a terrible way for Silva to end his career. It's a shame. Like Silva, Jon Jones has thin legs, so I hope he really paid attention to what happened.

Now we have American wrestlers as champions at 125 (Johnson), 135 (Cruz), 185 (Weidman), 205 (Jones), and HWT (Velasquez). Hendricks and McMann will be fighting for the belt next, so there could be more wrestlers as UFC champs.

OMG that was Crazy! Weidman was winning the fight and I think he would have eventually taken him down and submitted him or win a decision. But dang that was one of nastiest things things I've ever seen in any sport. You could hear Anderson's leg snap and then hearing him yell to the top of his lungs made actually seeing it terrible. Silva is still the GOAT and a legend, but I think this is it for him.

This may sound like 20-20 hindsight, but I just can't believe how many people picked Silva to win. He looked old and got destroyed in their first fight. Then after the first fight he said something like "Chris is the champ, I'm tired". Right then and there, I thought he was done.

Plus the fact that he's 38. The UFC wanted this fight to happen more than Silva did.

How about the Rousey/Tate fight? What did you have on your scorecards before Rousey finally ended it? Also, how did they seem to treat each other after the fight? Not sure if it's real or for the show but those tow really seem to hate each other..

How about the Rousey/Tate fight? What did you have on your scorecards before Rousey finally ended it? Also, how did they seem to treat each other after the fight? Not sure if it's real or for the show but those tow really seem to hate each other..

Rousey was winning on the cards before the tap out. However, Tate was in her face, fighting out of holds, and wasn't giving an inch up until the final arm bar (it was more of a shoulder lock that time). The crowd was chanting Misha several times during the fight. Rousey was fine playing the Bad Guy. , After the tap out she refused to shake Tates extended hand claiming she still feels disrespected by Tate for comments that were made at some point. Not sure what those comments exactly were but I know some attempts to apologies in order to move on have been made but its safe to say Rousey holds a deep grudge.

1. Leben is most likely done after that fight last night. The way he handled things says, he's had enough.

2. Rousey was so dominant that she probably could have had two 10-8 rds but they were most likely 10-9. Tate really didn't do much the entire fight other than survive. Rousey controlled the entire fight and was dominant. I don't think Tate hates her as much as Rousey does her. Tate most likely said a lot of the negative things as a way of hyping the fight. Rousey is naturally intense and probably took Tate's comments more seriously than she should have. This is the way the UFC hype machine does things. Think of how they hyped up GSP-Dan Hardy. They built Hardy up to be this unbelievable striker that many believed had a true shot to beat GSP and he was clowned with.

3. Regarding the reason for people picking Silva over Weidman. A lot of people felt that Silva didn't take their first fight as seriously and he was clowning around and got hit square on the jaw by acting foolish. Now yes Weidman had to have the skills to put the fist there but many thought that if Silva took it serious, he would have had his hands up and not daring him to punch him. Last night he did seem more serious and focused compared to the first fight and was landing nice shots from the bottom but then the freak leg break happened.

This may sound like 20-20 hindsight, but I just can't believe how many people picked Silva to win. He looked old and got destroyed in their first fight. Then after the first fight he said something like "Chris is the champ, I'm tired". Right then and there, I thought he was done.

Plus the fact that he's 38. The UFC wanted this fight to happen more than Silva did.

I know. It is amazing how someone can look so much older in just one year. Silva did not look like that at 36/37 years old. When I saw him walk out there I said this thing is over-I though Weidman is gonna pound him silly and he did. Silva looked like an old man. But we all hit that at some point-fact of life. Some hit that at 30, some not until 45. But 35-40 is the norm when we realize it is over:-)

I know. It is amazing how someone can look so much older in just one year. Silva did not look like that at 36/37 years old. When I saw him walk out there I said this thing is over-I though Weidman is gonna pound him silly and he did. Silva looked like an old man. But we all hit that at some point-fact of life. Some hit that at 30, some not until 45. But 35-40 is the norm when we realize it is over:-)

In boxing, fighters can perform at a high level for years, only to suddenly be uncompetitive. It can come anywhere from the late 20s to the 40s. They call it being shot.

I'm not sure if Silva is shot, or if Weidman is simply a bad matchup for him. Weidman has a strong wrestling base, and he added effective boxing and good BJJ to it. Silva combines excellent muay thai and BJJ. Silva had an advantage in striking, but he is a counter striker. So in order for Silva to be effective, he must get his opponents to attack him straight on, swinging. That's why he plays so many head games. Unfortunately for Silva, Weidman was patient and kept good distance, and never fell for his traps. By doing that, there simply were not that many significant strikes from either guy.

What was left was grappling, where Weidman had an advantage. Weidman could take Silva down when he wanted to, and Silva couldn't submit him. So Weidman got a lot of strikes in from the ground, and even a submission attempt in the first fight. Silva may be the GOAT, but I don't think he can beat Weidman, at least not at his current age.

Finally, for what it's worth, Silva's corner said Silva's injury came from two checked kicks. After the first one, Silva felt his leg crack, and he said it felt weird. Silva kicked hard with that same leg again, and that's when it snapped. Surgery is now completed, and he has a medal rod in his leg. He could be feeling fine (save for lost muscle mass) in 6 months. However, he's probably going to want to remove the rod once his bone heals so the rod doesn't provoke injuries to the softer bone sites around it. So we're looking at 12 months minimum before he's fully healed.

If I were Silva, I'd retire. I don't think he'll beat Weidman when he recovers in over 12 months. And he has nothing to prove. He's the GOAT.

Lots of great college wrestling going on this week, and this is a college wrestling forum. Go to one of the dozens of MMA forums if you want to discuss MMA.

I think you are going out of your way to be annoyed.

This the only thread about UFC 168, and it doesn't cover up any of the numerous college-wrestling threads. The other threads are very visible and accessible. It would be easy to not click on this thread.

At any rate, UFC 168 involved former college wrestlers. Finally, this is not the most active board, and the occasional MMA threads add traffic.

Weidman was an AA wrestler out of Hofstra. This is great for college wrestling!

I agree. I was on an MMA board recently, and MMA fans who had no prior exposure to wrestling were talking about wrestling. They were discussing the differences between folkstyle, freestyle, Greco, and catch wrestling. They were also trying learn about which UFC fighters had wrestling backgrounds, where they went to school, what they accomplished, etc. I think MMA has and will continue to give college wrestling exposure it otherwise wouldn't have had.

It's the mental toughness that wrestling teaches, plus the "grappling strength" that makes wrestlers so good in MMA. All of those hellacious practices that we all know about, and using good technique when you are dead tired, makes it easy to pick up techniques from various other martial arts and employ them in a competitive situation. Add that fact to years and years of hard grappling, which gives you a type of strength that you can't get by lifting weights, and you have a very good base for MMA. This is why we have the most champs and top 10 contenders with a wrestling base. IMO and most experts it's the best base.

You could argue BJJ, but they never go through practices like we do, and when they get to the higher levels the pace slows down so much in sparring and competition due to a high level of technique and most don't build that insane grappling strength I'm talking about. It's just a completely different style and way of grappling when compared to wrestling. There is no hand fighting, banging on the head, and very little explosion all together. Teach a wrestler some BJJ and he becomes awesome in a fight. Teach a BJJ guy some wrestling and he is still just a BJJ guy who knows a few takedowns at a high school wrestling level in a fight.

Anyways, this is why wrestlers dominate MMA!

Agree 100% Matburn. Something about the grind of wrestling an actively resisting opponent day in and day creates a strength that is perfect for MMA and not able to be replicated any other way.

We can see it with boxing, they go through very hard training at a young age for boxing and are always sparing with each other yet they are not nearly as well prepared for MMA as wrestlers... as we can see in the results.

The USA wrestling tattoo on Weidman's shoulder definitely helps reinforce the message ;).

It's the mental toughness that wrestling teaches, plus the "grappling strength" that makes wrestlers so good in MMA. All of those hellacious practices that we all know about, and using good technique when you are dead tired, makes it easy to pick up techniques from various other martial arts and employ them in a competitive situation. Add that fact to years and years of hard grappling, which gives you a type of strength that you can't get by lifting weights, and you have a very good base for MMA. This is why we have the most champs and top 10 contenders with a wrestling base. IMO and most experts it's the best base.

You could argue BJJ, but they never go through practices like we do, and when they get to the higher levels the pace slows down so much in sparring and competition due to a high level of technique and most don't build that insane grappling strength I'm talking about. It's just a completely different style and way of grappling when compared to wrestling. There is no hand fighting, banging on the head, and very little explosion all together. Teach a wrestler some BJJ and he becomes awesome in a fight. Teach a BJJ guy some wrestling and he is still just a BJJ guy who knows a few takedowns at a high school wrestling level in a fight.

Anyways, this is why wrestlers dominate MMA!

Nice post.

Ironchef,

I do agree with you about MMA being on a college board thing but this former NCAA finalist was up against one of the greatest guys in MMA history. It was a big rematch and the MMA gods were still picking Silva. I would not post on this thread unless it was an epic fight. Like GSP vs Hendricks or the possibility of Cormier vs Jones. All these elite wrestlers are exposing our sport to a much bigger light than even the olympics. I don't really like MMA but because wrestling now is known to be the best base for the UFC Ashton Kutchner is now hanging out with Gable, priceless. From Hendricks through Cain we could own the middle through Heavyweight titles.