Sign in to follow this  
Sheerstress

Weidman retains title

I feek bad for Silva, All the greats lose some time, but its sad when they do and sadder when they suffer a nasty injury like he did. I read an article where Weidman talks about practicing his leg kick checks, and using the knee because it hurts the opponent more. Clearly worked out for him.

Weidman is a wrestler but hes also a very special MMA prodigy. As a wrestler he was good, but definitely beatabl, not a big national team threat if I remember correctly. Then he tried out some BJJ and started winning tournaments, not just grinding guys out but submitting them with hardly any training. He fought BJJ superstar Galvao in a hell of a competitive match, finally losing 4-0. Then he starts up MMA and after a handful of fights he beats Anderson Silva twice and is the undisputed world champion. There are a ton of great wrestlers who would be great MMA fighters, but what Weidman has done is pretty special.

Bring on a fight with Vitor. Its going to be huge and while Vitor is a very dangerous opponent I think Weidman stays undefeated when its over.

Hendricks, Weidman, Jones, and Cain would most likely destroy your boxers in a boxing match. They are the baddest guys on the planet.

Holy smokes! This is by far the dumbest post I ever read on any forum in my life, and I have been on boxing forums reading crap for well over 10 years. I sure hope you are joking. Not ONE MMA fighter would beat a top 5 boxer in their respective weight classes in a boxing match. Not even close. I have followed boxing since the late 80's, and myself had over 100 amateur fights. In fact I used to train with and boxed with many MMA guys for a bunch of years at a gym. It was actually embarrassing how I would toy with ALL the MMA fighters, and that is when I was past my best and even at a lighter weight than most of them. Most of those guys were former HS and or college wrestlers, their hands were garbage.

Superold I think we are at a philosophical stalemate as to when cross training actually begins in a martial art/sport. All I know is that after four surgeries, one a full ProctoColectomy, and being stuck with a colostomy bag for the rest of my life, I still can't find a way to go 100% in wrestling without being hurt, and believe me I have tried a lot of different stuff. I can do BJJ, including the standing part. It's a poor substitute when your first love was wrestling, but it keeps me from going insane every time I smell a wrestling mat.

My 2 cents.

Boxing is a great sport. I miss the good old days when it was really big. I think MMA is a lot more exciting than boxing now. Seriously, watching Silva ridicule Mayweather annoyed me at first, but it's certainly in line with his Muhammad Ali imitation. I believe Iron Mike Tyson could have been taught enough grappling skills to overcome that weakness with his punishing striking skills. Honestly, I think Mike would have killed someone if he hit them flush with the mma gloves instead of boxing gloves. If that ever happens at a live event, and I suspect we are living on borrowed time, it will be a dark day in MMA.

Expecting a wrestler to beat a boxer in a boxing match would be like expecting Tyson to defeat Jake Herbert in a wrestling match. Never in a million years would either of those things happen. In fact, the whole point of MMA is to "Mix" the MA.

I don't understand how Dana White is able to keep the purses down, but I believe that is why we are getting so many premiere match-ups every few months compared to the multi-million dollar fights we see in boxing. It' not a big leap, before these guys begin making 7 figures, and high 6 figures. White is getting filthy rich, and it's just a matter of time, before the athletes find a way to get their salaries in line with the interest being generated. If this continues to grow, wrestling will absolutely benefit in participation numbers.

superold - from what I saw while coaching HS and from what I know of my friends/family/acquaintances almost NO ONE watches or gets excited for boxing anymore. The only time is the very very rare maybe once every 2 - 3 year fight that is huge. The big MMA match ups get brought up even by casual fans every few months. In fact I have only ever heard "casual" fans talking about MMA. GSP gets brought up all the time as far as combat sport stars go.

Kids wear Tap-out and Affliction all day at school... don't even know what a boxing t-shirt would look like these days.

I don't know anyone casual or not that has been excited about boxing past the occasional "super fight" in about 10 - 12 years.

The one exception to this is the Mexican culture where they not only haven't forgotten Boxing but its huge their.

MMA will continue to grow and Boxing will stay the same and lose popularity. I believe those two things are inevitable. Boxing will never go away, just like kick boxing, muy thai, wrestling, haven't gone away but it won't be the most popular combat sport nor the place to find the best fighters in the world. Boxing is only one aspect of fighting, no reason to limit yourself to a single style if you call yourself a fighter.

Husky Hero, don't believe the hype. GSP vs Hendricks had 630,000 pay per view buys. Mayweather vs Alvarez had 2.2 million buys. While you may not like boxing obviously many people do myself included. It is possible to enjoy both you know? I love watching MMA, but I can also appreciate the time, skill and dedication to craft it takes to be a world class boxer.

HuskyHero,

You may be right. Outside of the top few guys (Mayweather/Pacquiao) there isn't much interest. When those guys retire, what will become of boxing in the U.S.? It may be doomed. Well, boxing mostly has itself to blame.

Do you believe that MMA will ever produce fights that can rival boxing's PPV records? That's one thing I still wonder about.

But is MMA more exciting than boxing to the casual fan? I don't think I can honestly say that. There's seems to be something more aesthetically pleasing about boxing to the casual fans that I know.

I'm a casual MMA fan and it's way more fun to watch than boxing. Even in an MMA fight where both guys want to stay standing and strike, the shorter duration of bouts, the lighter gloves, and the threat of kickboxing + takedowns makes MMA striking faster and more dynamic than traditional boxing. How boring is it to watch a gassed boxer force clinches and hang out on the ropes?

The most boring MMA striking-heavy fight still takes way less time to watch than a boxing match.

Husky Hero, don't believe the hype. GSP vs Hendricks had 630,000 pay per view buys. Mayweather vs Alvarez had 2.2 million buys. While you may not like boxing obviously many people do myself included. It is possible to enjoy both you know? I love watching MMA, but I can also appreciate the time, skill and dedication to craft it takes to be a world class boxer.

Its not hype, its just what I see with my own two eyes. Boxing has its hardcore fans and will always have them. But I literally have not heard one casual person or fight fan talk about a boxing match that isn't Manny vs. Mayweather in YEARS. Maybe even all the way back to Klitchko's hayday. I see people talk about the UFC fights regularly and I see kids/adults wearing UFC gear day in and day out. That tells me something. I enjoy boxing, just not in comparison to MMA. MMA includes Boxing and there is nothing in Boxing (except for maybe the rampant corruption ;)) that I can't get in MMA and much more... again my opinion.

Also I think the flat PPV buys are misleading, UFC is not that far off anyway but UFC regularly puts on not only the PPV's but also free tv spike like shows and the top guys fight. I mean they have a PPV with top dogs fighting every couple months! The last big UFC PPV was in NOVEMBER with GSP vs. Hendricks. Last month! What is the build up and time difference between meaningful Boxing PPV's?

I enjoy boxing way more than MMA. In fact where I work many guys still talk about boxing, much more than MMA too. I do agree boxing is definitely not what it once was, though it will survive and there will always be stars to be made. Back in the day there was less titles and fighters put it on the line way more. Today there is too much bullcrap and politics to make good fights. Fighters fight way less and are so worried about losing too much. I still enjoy watching all the title fights. I have been to so many big name title fights(Bowe, Tyson,Jones, Toney, Hopkins, Cotto, Whitaker, and so many more), and nothing beats the atmosphere of being there live.

Boxing, MMA, and WWE are fighting for an overlapping fan base. In 2012, boxing had the top two PPV draws. But of the top 15, ten came from UFC, four from boxing, and one from WWE.

MMA is still so young, I have to assume its fan base will continue to expand. But I don't think it has a ton of room to expand. It will never be a mainstream sport. The violence is too in-your-face. In football, Namath can get his leg destroyed or Young can get knocked out, but it doesn't look so bad with the uniforms and helmets and with a lot of other stuff going on. The audience for MMA is always going to be a minority, but I think that minority is probably global.

Boxing and MMA are both still very popular. The difference between the two at the moment (in the United States) is the current growth trend. Since 2007 MMA has been the fastest growing sport in the US.

People seem to think that because MMA is growing at a faster rate than boxing, that boxing is actually shrinking. This isn't the case; both sports are able to draw huge numbers for pay-per-view events. MMA's fanbase also has a much younger average age, with MMA being much more popular than boxing in the 12-17 age group and more popular than boxing in the 18-34 age group, but less popular above 34 years of age.

I think it's already been mentioned in the thread, but boxing is also seeing huge amounts of growth, just not domestically. The growth in boxing is taking place internationally, especially in Latin America. Sports in the US run on star power (quarter backs, LeBron, Kobe, A-Rod, etc.), all it would take to breathe new life into boxing here would be one transcendent talent... a young Tyson, Mayweather, or De la Joya type.

For what it's worth, I was in Mexico recently (not for vacation) and boxing was brought up on multiple occasions by the kids I was around.

Then how come we have two white heavyweight champions (brothers) that have dominated the division for 10 years and hardly anyone talks about them? If W.Klitsko holds the title for one more year he will surpass Joe Louis as longest reign ever. I can't believe some are saying boxing hasnt declined.

Then how come we have two white heavyweight champions (brothers) that have dominated the division for 10 years and hardly anyone talks about them? If W.Klitsko holds the title for one more year he will surpass Joe Louis as longest reign ever. I can't believe some are saying boxing hasnt declined.

Partly because they're not Americans.

Thats interesting... where do you work Chasden? Or I should say what type of job not what company. Maybe MMA is just far more popular in the Northeast but I can honestly say I do not know anyone under the age of 40 who chooses Boxing over MMA and is not an active boxer themselves. Which I do know a few active boxers.

On my college wrestling team the team would get together for the UFC fights... never boxing. Maybe that's only because UFC has ex wrestlers in it but I don't think so... since the same thing happens for the weekly football games.

These are all just anecdotal and mean nothing statistically but they are my experiences none the less.

Though my dad and his friends all love boxing and hate MMA..... though he is pushing 60. They call it dog fighting.

White has nothing to do with it, the Klitschko's are Ukranian. Not many people outside of the avid boxing crowd are going to get that excited, especially at this point in the brothers' careers, unless they were to get knocked out or fight eachother.

Mexico is a whole different ball game. Its like soccer vs. football... no matter how much more exciting American football is, Soccer will still reign supreme in Latin America ;).

The world seems to disagree. Also, try to remember that you're a wrestling fan--why would it at all be surprising that you prefer the sport which features many components of wrestling (which is presumably your favorite sport).

Look at this thread where many wrestlers (also presumably with wrestling as their favorite sport) are picking Boxing over MMA.

I just find MMA far more exciting, other wrestlers clearly don't. I can see every fight style going on all at once in MMA and watch that complex back and forth of techniques and ways to finish. Boxing I see one way.

Yes... the world likes soccer best. I will never understand that.

im not big boxing or MMA guy, casual at best for both sports. i'm guessing UFC's fan base skews much younger than boxing, but i dont know for sure. no good sense of how they stack up around the world but i do know the USA is a far more lucrative market than mexico or pretty much anywhere else. so my non-expert opinion is MMA's future looks bright and boxing is a question mark at best. but i'd be happy for boxing if it found its' footing and rebounded.

White has nothing to do with it, the Klitschko's are Ukranian. Not many people outside of the avid boxing crowd are going to get that excited, especially at this point in the brothers' careers, unless they were to get knocked out or fight eachother.

Mexico is a whole different ball game. Its like soccer vs. football... no matter how much more exciting American football is, Soccer will still reign supreme in Latin America ;).

The world seems to disagree. Also, try to remember that you're a wrestling fan--why would it at all be surprising that you prefer the sport which features many components of wrestling (which is presumably your favorite sport).

Anderson Silva is HUGE star in the US and he is Brazilian and even speaks Portuguese most of the time. The Gracie's were very popular here. GSP was the biggest UFC draw and is Canadian... not the same as Brazilian or Ukrainian but still not from the US. Many of the hugely popular MMA fighters are from overseas. Michael Bisping is another right off the top of my head from the UK.

Being foreign born doesn't mean US fans wouldn't get excited if there is excitement to be had around them.

Thats interesting... where do you work Chasden? Or I should say what type of job not what company. Maybe MMA is just far more popular in the Northeast but I can honestly say I do not know anyone under the age of 40 who chooses Boxing over MMA and is not an active boxer themselves. Which I do know a few active boxers.

On my college wrestling team the team would get together for the UFC fights... never boxing. Maybe that's only because UFC has ex wrestlers in it but I don't think so... since the same thing happens for the weekly football games.

These are all just anecdotal and mean nothing statistically but they are my experiences none the less.

Though my dad and his friends all love boxing and hate MMA..... though he is pushing 60. They call it dog fighting.

I work in a predominately hispanic workplace, I am white. Just saying. I sometimes get a few guys over to watch HBO or SHO fights if it is a good match-up. I do not get all PPV's, but the ones I do I always have a bunch of guys come over and hang out and enjoy the fights. My older brother loves MMA, and he always has his friends over for MMA PPV's. He never invites me, and I never invite him. We are complete opposites.

Because the heavyweight division is absolute garbage! They are not Americans! And they are extremely boring and take no chances, mainly Wladamir though. Vitali has been very inactive too, he actually retired recently I believe. I miss the days when fans could see Tyson, Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Mercer, Moorer, Ruddock, etc.

Hendricks, Weidman, Jones, and Cain would most likely destroy your boxers in a boxing match. They are the baddest guys on the planet.

I don't know if you mean elite level boxers, but Andre Ward would maul Johny in a boxing match.

He must mean destroy boxers (including the best ones) in a fight. Its foolish to think these guys can beat the best boxers in boxing. They'd be picked apart

My bad, should have said "fight" instead of "boxing match".

My apologies to the boxing fans for my ignorant post. (Man, just amazing what a handle of liquor can do to you.)