Sign in to follow this  
Sheerstress

Weidman retains title

Back in the '70s. The best I could do as a teen was listen by the radio of the round by round commentary or pay to go see an Ali/Frazier fight on Closed Circuit at some Arena. In my teens there was nothing more exciting then waiting for the round to be over and to actually imagine the magnitude and the discription of each punch. I remember when Frazier knocked Ali to the canvas- I almost fell off my bed. This was ENORMOUS. Bigger that when Taylor got decked.

Boxing was da deal- and all weights were GREAT. imo- Duran was as nasty as you can get in his prime- I think the best lb for lb when he was at his best age n weight. Just meannnn !!

I grew up with Gerry Cooney and speak to him a couple of times a year.

IMO- MMA- is too PRIMITIVE . I like it but, it is a completely different brawl. I use to see that nearly every weekend at a local Pub. So, to me it isnt anything special.

i used to watch boxing. i used to be able to recite the champions and their styles. i haven't watched a boxing event in more than 10 years. It is all about mma for me.

i do agree with chasden that a boxer would make an mma fighter look silly in a boxing ring. that said, put boxers into an mma fight with wrestlers and they lose 9 out of 10 times. The boxer has to get a clean shot early, and if he doesn't he ends up on his back trying to defend ground and pound and all the submission sholds and they don't know how to do that.