Sign in to follow this  
JimBob

Besik Kudukhov Dies Aged 27

Such sad news. But in his 27 years he accomplished more than most do in a lifetime. Before the 2012 Olympics, he was considered, unanimously by most, to be the best in the world in any weight class. Many thoughts and prayers to his family and the entire Russian wrestling community. Thanks for the memories Mr. Kudukhov.

Very sad news. What a loss.

He was such a fun wrestler to watch. How about his bracket at 2012 Olympics? He had to open up with Franklin Gomez (a repeat of 2011 World finals), then go through a bunch of studs where he finally lost to Asgarov in the finals.

Also, I find it a little strange that Russia just had that train station bombing, and Kudukhov dies the same day. That article said that Kudukhov was going to be a torchbearer at the Winter Olympics. Again, just total speculation from reading today's news.

I once had the chance to watch Kudukhov wrestle live. It was magic. One of the best of all time and also one of my favorites, he was a technical master of both brutal physical offense and dazzling scrambling defense. This tragic death comes on the heels of the death of Canadian wrestling star Jack Bond. Both of these men will be greatly missed; I like to think they are wrestling in heaven right about now, with huge crowds gathered to watch in amazement. Rest in Peace, Besik and Jack.

No disrespect during this sad time, but what I don't get is how he got in a car crash from Krasnodar to Vladikavkaz on the way to Krasnoyarsk. It seems out of the way. Not trying to say that this news isn't true, but someone else's suspicions in another post got me thinking. My first thought was, "He was in the bombing", but I'm not saying that's what happened.

No disrespect during this sad time, but what I don't get is how he got in a car crash from Krasnodar to Vladikavkaz on the way to Krasnoyarsk. It seems out of the way. Not trying to say that this news isn't true, but someone else's suspicions in another post got me thinking. My first thought was, "He was in the bombing", but I'm not saying that's what happened.

I'm guessing he was going to the International Airport by Vladikavkaz which probably had a flight he was going to catch to Krasnoyarsk.

Kudukhov is definitely one of the best wrestlers ever, and probably the best in the world between 2006-12. He was the only freestyle wrestler to win a world medal every year in that time (Silver, Gold, Bronze, Gold, Gold, Gold, Silver). The Cuban Greco heavyweight Mijaín López is the only one that can match that from 2005-12 (Gold, Silver, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Silver, Gold). Russia, FILA and the entire international wrestling community lost a truly great sportsman today.