Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

"Beauty and the Beast" Dual Meet

While looking into some college wrestling information I came across a "Beauty and the Beast" Dual meet that a few college programs have done before. In it the school host both a wrestling dual and gymnastics meet at the same time. I'm assuming this involves a wrestling mat on one side and the gymnasics equipment on the other end (possibly some apperatus' that couldn't fit in a second area).

su_B03_bandb_0207_t400.jpg?462b9d6f90d959445a9a4ed322227662267dc65b

Has anyone seen this type of event? How was it? Did it add more to the viewing experience for the general fans of either sport who attended? Did it increase the attendance compared to holding the events separately? Does the crowd noise during big wrestling moments help the energy level or does it cause distractions during their events? Does the gymnastic routines keep a more constant crowd energy level that helps the wrestlers or does all the extra items just distract wrestler who should be focused on the dual meet? Seems like it would be worth coinciding with some type of findraiser for a charity organization? It sounds like a novel idea but not sure if after the original attempt if the novelty of it may wear off.

I went to one a few years ago when Eastern Michigan was facing Central Michigan. It was a really neat event to watch and if there were down times during the wrestling meet or something not to exciting, there was always something better visually off to the right of the mat ;)

Iowa State has been doing this for awhile. The wrestling mat is on one end of the basketball court and gymnastics on the other half. The only thing I don't like, is the vault run in front of the wrestling mat and the girls all scream and holler in a big circle after every single vault.

The Washington High School system has done this also. Granted .. they are in Co-Joined buildings as everyone cannot fit in the same Dome... Yet the womens Gymnastics Championships run alongside the Boys Wrestling Championships.

Open doors between both events, and you sould see the "mingling" that takes place between the boys and girls .. ;) :o

Also, the dome will be going NUTS, CRAZY LOUD, etc ... and if you walk into the Gymnastics venue .... You can hear a pin drop.

Unfortunate we as a sport have to come up with gimmicks like this to promote... When we have an amazing opportunity with the all star classic. We need to find a way to capitalize on this and 1) promote the hell out of the event. 2 capitalize on it financially for a local program youth-college program.... Just a opportunity our sport could be successful in both aspects.

I suggested having the OU men's wrestling and gymnastics teams do a dual meet at ASU in 1979. ASU had a strong men's gymnastics program, and ASU's wrestling was becoming a power. I had coached at OU under Stan Abel, and knew Paul Zeirt the head gymnastics coach real well since we officed in the same building. He recruited Bart Conner and it was the start of the gymnastics dynasty at OU which now has 8 men's NCAA championships. I couldn't convince the gymnastics coach to agree to it. He no longer has a program.

If a coach doesn't try different marketing "gimmicks" to put fans in the seats he may not have a program. Wrestling is an endangered species as a collegiate sport because coaches don't work enough at getting fans to the meets. Gary Kurdlemeier was a master promoter before Iowa became an automatic draw. Iowa didn't always have big crowds. OSU hired a full time marketing person for wrestling this year. Mark Cody said every dual meet at OU will be an "event" this year in order to build the crowds. I've given him some of my ideas a couple are being implemented.

I've been to the past 4 Beauty and the Beast meets at OU. We are able to sit near the mat with an unobstructed view. Gymnastics is at the other end. Probably 4,000 total which is about 4 times what wrestling had been drawing.

wire:........ On my way home from the NCAA's I was told that Wrestling was moving out of the Tacoma Dome. Any word on if that has come about or not?

NOPE ... not going to happen as far as I know. There were rumblings from the Eastern Washington folks, travel etc ... Yet there is no forum large unuf to hold the event. Some folks don't like it. Yet it is a winner.... IMO.

It's safe for now.