Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Iowa 125 conundrum

Clark would beat Delgado for 3rd(assuming both make it), and Gilman would lose to Garnett. Both would have beat Delgado and lost to Garnett.

Iowa sure has been deep at 125 for awhile. Send one the Gophers way!

I think if Clark can come back and take 3rd and Gilman loses in the finals Clark is still the starter.

By what logic? I'm not arguing the point, just curious.

Not the quoted poster, but here's my guess at the reasoning: If Gilman loses in the finals, he and Clark will both have lost to the same guy, Garnett. Brands said on record that starting Gilman over Clark in the duals only had to do with weight management, and that once Clark gets that under control he will be the guy. If they both lose to the same guy, and Brands is just waiting for Clark to figure out the weight cut, then a 2nd place Gilman and 3rd place Clark doesn't change that.

I think Brands realizes that Clark probably hit the wall against Garnett, and a few hours are not going to be enough to recover to face someone like Delgado. Once you hit the wall, no matter how tough you are, your body just won't go. It's a smart coaching move, although frustrating for us fans.

Clark is clearly cutting heavily, while Gilman wrestles with a full tank for all 7.

I have no doubt that heads up, Clark is the better guy, but I'm not so sure Gilman isn't the better choice after weigh-ins. There's more recovery time at NCAAs, but it's also three straight days of making weight against a field of at least four if not five or six other guys who are basically toss-ups or worse to a sucked out Clark.

How often do you have a situation in which your backup beat the defending national champ who was on a roll this season as well? I also thought Gilman wrestled Megaludis tough and could be coached to an even closer match the next time they meet.

You also have the possibility that this win improves Gilman's confidence significantly and, being as young as he is, accelerates his improvement throughout the rest of the season while Clark struggles with weight.

I don't think it's an easy call at all for Brands.

Assuming that Ramos could compete for a title at 141, what was the argument against Gilman @125, Clark @133, and Ramos @141? Was it a weight certification thing? Or does it just not make sense mathematically in terms of team points at NCAAs?

Is it really the Iowa way to pull a guy out of the tournament because you think he may lose again. That sure sounds like seed protecting to me. I hope the press calls Brands out on that.

I don't think it's protecting seed at all. I think it's just acknowledging Clark's not in any shape to face Delgado.

Importantly, this is speculation on my part, but when it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.

Iowa and many others have been known to do this kind of thing in opens and invitationals. This is absolutely not the first time nor will it be the last.

Even Gable has been known to pull guys from matches when he felt they weren't ready.

Assuming that Ramos could compete for a title at 141, what was the argument against Gilman @125, Clark @133, and Ramos @141? Was it a weight certification thing? Or does it just not make sense mathematically in terms of team points at NCAAs?

I don't know if that's better for the Hawks.

Clark at 133 is a big question mark. Would he even AA?

Ramos at 141 is not a question mark, but is he going to beat Stieber after his 25th try or whatever? Not likely. It's also not out of the question that he might not even make the finals at 141, whereas at 133, he is the heavy favorite to win and leave a trail of bonus points in the process.

Also, Dziewa is not exactly Kelly. Neither have AA'd but Dziewa has shown flashes of potential and appears to be improving, at least in my eyes. He could score some points that matter at 141.

I don't think Iowa is better off with the bumps, especially mid-season. I might change my mind had they decided to do this in the off-season and spent all summer and fall preparing for it, but doing it now... I don't buy it.

I am hardly an Iowa insider, but isn't it basically the rule that a guy who can start at a lower weight (like Ramos at 133) should not be asked to go to a higher weight even if his doing so would help the team?

Ramos has an insider track at a title at 133. Why would he even be asked to go to 141, where he would not be the favorite? This is especially true where Ramos will likely wrestle internationally at 133.

Is it really the Iowa way to pull a guy out of the tournament because you think he may lose again. That sure sounds like seed protecting to me. I hope the press calls Brands out on that.

That's total BS. Sounds like the Tigsy way to try to turn a medical forfeit into Iowa bashing.

This is no conundrum. If Clark can't go, then Gilman goes. Either one will cause some grief for the other 125 lbers this year.

Also, Delgado may stumble some early season, but I wouldn't count him out by a long shot.