Sign in to follow this  
NationalCollegeOpen

Hard Work Pays off

Interesting the progress some of the Midlands finalist have made in the career. Since the National Collegiate Open is primarily redshirts and other young backups in their first two seasons of college wrestling it is interesting to see how these guys did in their season ending championship those years and how they perform today.

Midlands Finalists that are performing well above what would be expected based on their NCO placements. (Athlete with NCO Year and Placement)

Steven Rodriques 2012 6th

Mitchell Port 2011 2nd

Taylor Walsh 2012 4th

Jimmy Sheptock 2010 3rd

Christian Boley 2010 5th

Other Midlands finalists and top-8 placers and their NCO results:

Jarrod Garnett 2012 Champion

Robert Deutsch 2012 3rd

AJ Schopp 2010 2nd

Mason Beckman 2013 3rd

Mitch Minotti 2013 Champion

Ryan LeBlanc 2010 4th

Mario Gonzales 2010 3rd

John Bolich 2012 DNP

Spencer Myers 2013 2nd

Interesting the progress some of the Midlands finalist have made in the career. Since the National Collegiate Open is primarily redshirts and other young backups in their first two seasons of college wrestling it is interesting to see how these guys did in their season ending championship those years and how they perform today.

Midlands Finalists that are performing well above what would be expected based on their NCO placements. (Athlete with NCO Year and Placement)

Steven Rodriques 2012 6th

Mitchell Port 2011 2nd

Taylor Walsh 2012 4th

Jimmy Sheptock 2010 3rd

Christian Boley 2010 5th

Other Midlands finalists and top-8 placers and their NCO results:

Jarrod Garnett 2012 Champion

Robert Deutsch 2012 3rd

AJ Schopp 2010 2nd

Mason Beckman 2013 3rd

Mitch Minotti 2013 Champion

Ryan LeBlanc 2010 4th

Mario Gonzales 2010 3rd

John Bolich 2012 DNP

Spencer Myers 2013 2nd

Wasn't Delgado a finalist at the NCO when he was redshirting at Cal Poly?

i love the NCO as a sort of oracle for future success. it keeps getting better every year too.

I agree.

The National Collegiate Open was my first ever in person look at college wrestling. I was amazed at how intense the event was and how skilled the athletes were. A lot of people on the forums seemed to think that the field was not very good because some of the guys hadn't accomplished much in college or they weren't big name recruits in high school. But it seems like the early season results of opens or the recruiting rankings are not a very good indicator. Looking through the history of the event there have been a lot of blue chippers that have taken losses by guys that were under the radar.

It really does seem to show who will, as Chertow likes to say, "Rise to the occasion" and those are the wrestlers that are hungry despite not starting in duals or only being a redshirt and it seems like those are the guys that do big things in the future years.

i remember the 2010 event was the first year i followed it and i was really looking forward to seeing the 165 weight because leblanc from Indiana was coming in undefeated with like 30 wins and sheptock from Maryland had like only one loss to dan valimont and cubberly from central Michigan had placed at midlands with the highly talked about Michael chaires from uva so i was curious to see how those four studs would battle it out and then out of no where veltre wins it all with a great showing needless to say as a bloom fan i was pumped and now we all know veltre is a potential all American but it was his performance at this event that really showed he could compete with the best

stutzman is great at finding under the radar guys