Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Oh boy, ban basketball be tough to live with on this board!

I can't watch the match, but I'll be the first to eat crow. I didn't exactly say that Colon couldn't beat Ramos, but I did say that he had done nothing to show he was on that level. Every description I've heard of their match today (and Colon's other matches in this tournament) is that Colon looked awesome. Congrats to Joe, hope Tony can solve the puzzle by the end of the year.

I can't watch the match, but I'll be the first to eat crow. I didn't exactly say that Colon couldn't beat Ramos, but I did say that he had done nothing to show he was on that level. Every description I've heard of their match today (and Colon's other matches in this tournament) is that Colon looked awesome. Congrats to Joe, hope Tony can solve the puzzle by the end of the year.

It is not so much how good he looks, but how STRONG he looks. Ramos controls EVERYONE in the ties and Colon made Ramos look LOST in the ties.

It is not so much how good he looks, but how STRONG he looks. Ramos controls EVERYONE in the ties and Colon made Ramos look LOST in the ties.

He called it before the season began.

I thought Ramos would win, but I'm not unhappy that he didn't.

Me either... just semi confused.

Its like Ramos can not handle the tall, funky wrestlers this year. First Schopp then he gets absolutely dominated/pinned by Colon.

I can't picture that happening last year.

Hahaha I had the same thought about banbasketball when that pin happened.

Ive never seen Colon wrestle but from what I saw here, Ramos is probably used to bullying people in the ties. When he met someone just as strong and physical, he looked a bit lost- and it cost him.

Prison strong- really... these announcers are terrible.

Nonetheless , good insight Ban (good prior observations!)

I agree. Ban did say the following (which seems eerily prescient in hindsight):

Why am I not offering up any specific reason(s) as to why "Colon's style can be a problem for Ramos?" Because I don't want to reveal UNI wrestlers' styles on public forums. I want it to slap Ramos in the face with one big surprise, as it did to all other top wrestlers that Colon shelled. He has a style that people don't see very often, and it typically results in A LOT of points FAST

I was surprised at how Ramos looked overpowered during each exchange with Colon. I know its not a training problem as Ramos clearly trains as hard as anyone under Brands. Ramos kept having to back out of the tie ups because of how strong Colon was, never seen Ramos have to do that before even against Steiber/ Graff.

And when Colon banged his head before the first takedown attempt it totally took Ramos out of the match, he appeared to pause for a second while Colon spun around. Really hurt Ramos's confidence after that takedown I think.

Ramos should be thanking his lucky stars he ran into Colon. At least now he has a few months to troubleshoot this match and strategize with the coaching staff on how to address future encounters.

If his first exposure to Colon was at NCAAs, he'd be SOL.

I never called anything. As the thread below will show, I simply said that Colon is one of a handful who I believe could/can/will beat Ramos, when some felt otherwise.

I CALLED nothing, and it shouldn't be thought of as such.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=235863

Have a feelin old ban basketball may be coming around to Schwab!

Ramos' biggest problem is out of his control. Colon looked huge, reminded me of Dake v Molinaro. If they meet in the finals at NCAAs, Colon is going to have all day to replenish and will have a big size advantage again. Also, Ramos style seems to play right into Colon's strength and I'm not sure how much Ramos can change for one match considering that style has really served him well.

I never called anything. As the thread below will show, I simply said that Colon is one of a handful who I believe could/can/will beat Ramos, when some felt otherwise.

I CALLED nothing, and it shouldn't be thought of as such.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=235863

Have a feelin old ban basketball may be coming around to Schwab!

When Schwab, Popolizzi (or whatever NC State's coach's name is), and Bono were finalists for the UNI job I was asked on a local radio call in show who I preferred of the three. My answer, you ask? Schwab. So, I "came around" to Schwab even before he was hired.

I'd beg for you to find a comment that I've made anywhere that says anything otherwise.