Sign in to follow this  
ScarletKnight

hardest weight classes this year?

I'm influenced by yesterday and id say the 1st 3 weights are the deepest led by 133.

I thought mark grey would finish top 4 a month ago and I see him as only top 8. Colon especially made things complicated.

The last people I can think of who had this much of and improvement between their junior and senior year were zack tanelli and ben cherrington

You mean most parity, not hardest.

The hardest is either 165 or 184 because you'd have to beat Taylor or Ruth to win it.

As for most parity, I'd say 125, then 149, then 133.

What about beating Howe at 174?

The hardest is either 165 or 184 because you'd have to beat Taylor or Ruth to win it.

I think it's harder to beat Taylor or Ruth than Howe. My opinion of course.

I would agree 133 and 174 are the deepest.

I'd add 125 as pretty deep too:

Delgado - returning champ

Megaludis - 2x finalist

Garrett - 3rd last year

Garnett - AA (RS?)

plus newcomers making noise - Clark, Gilman and Peters

157 looks respectable too - DSJ, Dieringer, Green, Ness, Walsh, Alton, Jordan

While 165 and 184 might be hardest to *win* with DT and Ruth, after those two, there seems to be quite a drop off. Getting to the finals (if opposite DT, Ruth) might be easier at 165 and 184 than at other weights.

I think it's harder to beat Taylor or Ruth than Howe. My opinion of course.

Are you taking into account the quality of competition in the weight classes? Meaning, since 174 has more talent, there are more guys capable of defeating Howe. At 165, it seems that there is a big drop off in talent after the top 2, and likely fewer guys who could compete with Taylor. If Perry, Brown, Storley, Evans, etc were 165 pounders, would you still consider it the toughest weight to win?

Then again, 165 and 184 have cleared out quite a bit as wrestlers will go up or down a weight to avoid Taylor or Ruth. Thus, this makes it easier for guys to All American. I look at it that way too. I see how hard a weight class is to win, but then also look at how hard it is to become an AA at that weight class too. A weight class may be harder than Hell to win, but once you get past the top 3 guys 4th through 8th place is up for grabs. Other weight classes may be much tougher to AA.

Scarlett Knight -

I'm surprised you didn't mention Tom Tanis. He made vast improvements between his junior and senior year. He seemed to open up and really go for it as a senior compared to his other years and it paid off for him in the end.

Tony Black of Wisconsin, Nathan Everhart of Indiana, Ryan Fulsass of Iowa, and there are others. Not every one of them made All American, but there are guys out there that finally let loose and had their final year be their best year. We as fans act like it can't happen and ignore it when it does, but it does happen.

Howe is the best wrestler at 174.

But he seems to let matches stay (or keeps them?) close and with a 1 or 2 point lead anything can happen.