Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Iowa wins the NIT of tourneys

Just like the NCAA tournament the Midlands is the basic equivalent of the NIT(National Invitational Tournament) - a once proud tournament now relegated to hosting mostly second placers rather than champs.

Iowa seems to be pushing to be the king of the smaller division competition as winning this shows. Put them on the mat at the Southern Scuffle(the new kid on the block who has overtaken Midlands) and they would be 4th at best - on a lucky day.

Sad to see Midlands as second banana to the Southern Scuffle and Iowa holding on by entering have won a basically hollow title this year.

Midlands was once the best tournament of the year with Open competition including former NCAA champs, Olympic and World champs and even top High School talent good enough to challenge the big boys.

Sadly it is no longer the premier event and Iowa, with their new habit of trying to bully Junior Colleges and tiny two horse burgs is the winner this year. Nice to win but doing it on a bigger stage means a lot more.

It really is a shame that Iowa wrestles such a weak schedule (Penn State). They really are going to have to step up the competition level (Minnesota). How do they think they will ever get any better (Oklahoma State). Too many teams have a much tougher schedule (Edinboro). Its all down hill from here for the Hawkeyes (Nebraska). The Brands brothers have no clue what they are doing (Northwestern). They should be fired (Ohio State). As well as all of the assistants (Illinois). Nobody in Iowa even likes the Hawkeyes anymore (Iowa State). This schedule will never prepare them for Nationals (Northern Iowa). All is lost (Maryland).

Just like the NCAA tournament the Midlands is the basic equivalent of the NIT(National Invitational Tournament) - a once proud tournament now relegated to hosting mostly second placers rather than champs.

Iowa seems to be pushing to be the king of the smaller division competition as winning this shows. Put them on the mat at the Southern Scuffle(the new kid on the block who has overtaken Midlands) and they would be 4th at best - on a lucky day.

Sad to see Midlands as second banana to the Southern Scuffle and Iowa holding on by entering have won a basically hollow title this year.

Midlands was once the best tournament of the year with Open competition including former NCAA champs, Olympic and World champs and even top High School talent good enough to challenge the big boys.

Sadly it is no longer the premier event and Iowa, with their new habit of trying to bully Junior Colleges and tiny two horse burgs is the winner this year. Nice to win but doing it on a bigger stage means a lot more.

...try some abilify, it really cheered my neighbor up....

Iowa does not send out the Invitations, they just wrestle who they have to and make the best of it. We should be happy that we are entertained by two great tournaments to enjoy watching. Iowa is loyal to traditions and these commitments are done behind the the public eye years in advance. They did crush the teams at Midlands this year. It is important to have both of these tournaments going even if one year the talent has a higher level at the Scuffle from time to time. It's fantastic to be able to turn on a TV and watch college wresting. I can remember not too many years ago it was like trying to tune in a channel on a short wave radio to try to find any wrestling action anywhere. Let's be a grateful spectator to the parade....... instead of wishing for rain.

I guess we should just shutter down everything that isn't the best. We would have no wrestling because if you aren't the best, why compete?

If you're only looking at the team aspect of it, it wasn't close. There were 56 ranked wrestlers in D1 and 15-16 in the smaller divisions (which people still want competing in the D1 tournament)

There wasn't team firepower but plenty of individual firepower

I fail to see how two good college tournaments are a bad thing, especially when you consider the geographical reach

I've never heard either tournament come out and say "we are the best". it's not their intent.

Why bother having consolation matches? why bother having division 2 and division 3

The midlands was super fun this year.

Obviously, the Midlands wasn't what it once was. As I posted somewhere else, the first Midlands I attended, team-wise, both Iowas and both Oklahomas competed. Individually, both Schultz boys, Ed Banach, and Darryl Burley competed, to name but a few of the greats of our sport.

That said, the finals this year, which I watched on BTN, were very competitive, lots of fun to watch, with plenty of upsets and surprises along the way.

And any wrestler who came in thinking they would just walk away with the title (not saying there actually were any such) probably got their head handed to them.

Bottom line, there's still plenty of life left in the Midlands.

I guess we should just shutter down everything that isn't the best. We would have no wrestling because if you aren't the best, why compete?

If you're only looking at the team aspect of it, it wasn't close. There were 56 ranked wrestlers in D1 and 15-16 in the smaller divisions (which people still want competing in the D1 tournament)

I fail to see how two good college tournaments are a bad thing, especially when you consider the geographical reach

I've never heard either tournament come out and say "we are the best". it's not their intent.

Why bother having consolation matches? why bother having division 2 and division 3

Jason, I think what Zelph means is because the Hawkeyes won it, it must have little value. Granted it did not have the team firepower of this year's Southern Scuffle, but his real motivation is shown by his last paragraph. Last year the Hawks were chastised for NOT going to Midlands. This year the Midlands is criticized because most of the other top teams went to the SS. I hope that I never denigrate a wrestling event just because I don't like one of the teams, or because the team I disliked won the event.

Personally, I would like to see one or two MORE large tournaments between Christmas and Jan 6, maybe one in the Pacific Northwest or Southern Cal, to allow other fans to see more of these things without having to travel so far. I try to go to any Div 1 tournaments within driving range.

Michigan State just won the "Cradle Gear" Tournament.

Minkel is bragging about it on the MSU web site. If you want to finally really get excited about a Spartan accomplishment, read this -- it's a real treat.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-wre ... -body.html

So if the Midlands is now a 2nd rate tournament -- what is the Cradle Gear tournament?

When the MSU AD tells me how great Minkel is doing by virtue of winning this major tournament, what do I tell him?

Best -

DA

I don't want to bag on schools like Bloomsburg and Lock Haven, who definitely do more with less, but if MSU is relegated to wrestling these tournaments to be the "Big Fish in the Little Pond" what does that say about their future? They won a tournament with a total of 4 ranked(Intermat) wrestlers. Wilcox(133 16th), Garcia(15th), Perry(197 8th) and McClure(285 9th).

So McClure won like he was supposed to and Rizqallah is the only wrestler to beat a ranked wrestler as the other 3 pretty much dominated their weight class. What high end recruit would want to wrestle their current schedule? Other than the mandatory B1G schedule they look like a 2nd tier EWL team.

Tel me how many Midlands you have attended, and then elaborate on what a second-rate tournament it is. Your contribution to this forum has been consistently zero.

I will say that I thought that when I wrestled in the Midlands it was tougher to win than the NCAA's.

But I will also say that I thought there were some really fun championship matches last night.

Best -

DA

They could have went to the Cradle Gear Invitational instead. They would have had to get by a SOLID MSU squad to win the title. And let me tell you MSU wasn't giving that title up without a fight. Just ask Indigo.......

Spot on. MSU definitely wouldn't give up the Cradle Gear Invitational title to Iowa without a fight.

8403614581_cd60e8190f_z_zps3f3a3ab1.jpg

Michigan State just won the "Cradle Gear" Tournament.

Minkel is bragging about it on the MSU web site. If you want to finally really get excited about a Spartan accomplishment, read this -- it's a real treat.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-wre ... -body.html

So if the Midlands is now a 2nd rate tournament -- what is the Cradle Gear tournament?

When the MSU AD tells me how great Minkel is doing by virtue of winning this major tournament, what do I tell him?

Best -

DA

It is on the bottom crawler on The BTN tonight: Michigan State wrestling team wins the Cradle Gear tournament.

J B,

I too, agree with your assessment of the holiday time tourneys. Well said.

As a former Midlands tournament winner…..I can say that the Chi-town area is a great place to hold a Christmas time tourney. Always has been. Quantity of a tourney…….quality of the tourney ? Let's just go on out there and have some fun.

I loved watching those finals last evening. Here at my home with another Midlands winner. Does not get much better than that, for me.

Let me expand on your point...if one tournament went away, the other tournament would not be able to absorb the demand. In that sense, both tournaments (and, for that matter, college wrestling as a whole) need and complement each other.

Let me expand on your point...if one tournament went away, the other tournament would not be able to absorb the demand. In that sense, both tournaments (and, for that matter, college wrestling as a whole) need and complement each other.

Indeed.

I don't want to bag on schools like Bloomsburg and Lock Haven, who definitely do more with less, but if MSU is relegated to wrestling these tournaments to be the "Big Fish in the Little Pond" what does that say about their future?

Their future will remain status quo for MSU: bottom dwellers with a joke of a coach (did he have his parrot with him this year?), who will continue to exist as is because the AD and president don't have a clue (or perhaps they do) and could really care less about this non-revenue sport. They can't drop it and be the only team in the B10 without wrestling, but that sure doesn't mean that they have to give a damn about it.