Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Day 1 Scuffle Thoughts + Projections

Warning, this is Minnesota, Penn State, and Oklahoma State Centric because the winner will be one of those three teams. The score right now stands 53.5, 53, 50.5. Cornell is 4th at 40pts. They basically have no chance.

Stat of the day. Minnesota has more bonus right now than they did in the entire event last year. Yeah, they got THAT much better.

Hidden Stat. Three of Penn State's best bonus pt. scorers, Taylor, Ruth, and MacIntosh, opened with bye's. That is 3 to 6 bonus points not scored.

There are way too many swing matches left to say that any match will swing this thing. They all seem important.

OK, Nashon Garrett is on fire. Klimara had a real nice day, but his Championship run ends tomorrow morning. Terao had a Ca RAZY match with Bokoskie from NC which he pulled out at the end. Richardson from Penn upset Corey Keener. In the bottom half you have Nico majoring Kingsley from Minnesota and he now is going up against Evan Silver tomorrow morning in the qtrs., and if he gets thru I expect him to face Garrett in the final. Kingsley I think will win his next match in WB, but he then gets Jeske from ODU and that might be it for him.

Morrison from Ok St is really looking strong to make the final. Conoway has Joe Roth in the morning session and he can really help Penn State if he can gut that one out. If not then you have Gulibon on the bottom against Mango and I think that will be a tall order for him. Jimmy gutted out a 5-4 comeback win today but he still had at least two good shots set up that I thought he maybe should have finished and could not. David Thorn has Nick Soto and that should be a great match.

There have already been fireworks at this weight. C. Dardanes is thru and wrestling well. Hofstra's Luke Vaith knocked off Okie State's Collica, though, and he will get Dardanes tomorrow morning. If Dardanes wins that match he might see Joe Spisak who knocked off Kishnigyam. In the bottom half you have Chris Mecate of ODU knocking off Edgar Bright, and he now gets Evan Henderson who is wrestling great. Zach Horan is getting Decisions so far, and he now has to face the hammer Zain Retherford. Zain pinned Joey Moon tonight.

Nick Dardanes scraped by tonight 3-2 over DePalma from Kent State. Wake up call? Zack Beitz continues his magical run and now gets Villalonga. If he beats him I will tip my hat. He's funky that is for sure. Learned Taylor's single leg well. So that is the top half. In the bottom you have Houdashelt who really struggled 2-1 with Tourville from BU. He faces Richardson, and then you have Sako and Kindig in the other quarter.

James Vollrath lost today, so he is in the wrestle backs for Penn State. Deiringer has Luke Smith then, likely, Realbuto, to get to the finals. On the bottom you have Ness facing Nestor Taffur (strong guy) and then maybe Kyle Bradley. Looking more and more like a Ness - Deirinegr final.

David Taylor

OK, some of you thought I'd just stop there cause this never gets old, but I actually think there are some good wrestlers at this weight class. Caldwell is about a 30-1 favorite tomorrow morning over Booth. The other semi on the bottom is really compelling. Luvsandjor beat Miller from Stanford and now gets Nick Sulzer. I think Sulzer beats him, and guess what, I won't be shocked if Sulzer then beats Caldwell. Sulzer is a very good wrestler. Taylor should school Dylan Palacio, wh\o is good in his own right but, you know, this is Taylor. I like David to meet Sulzer in the final.

There are three guys who are killing it in this weight class. Perry WILL easily make the final, imo. On the bottom half you got Brown and Storley, who are also killing it. One of them will face Perry.

Ed Ruth

What is interesting here is that Ruth may face his future replacement in the semi's if true freshman Matt McCutcheon can beat Penn's Lorenzo Thomas. Ruth had two pins today and Matt had a nice win in rideout over Cornell's William George. Matt had previously beaten 11th ranked John Eblen in the earlier round. In the bottom half Gabe Dean beat Jordan Rogers and Brett Pfarr beat Boaz Beard. They'll face each other while Kevin Steinhouse faces Jon Fausey. Steinhouse will be favored to reach the final, but I don't believe he is a lock.

Here it is. Schiller will get out of the top half of the bracket to the final. Having the #1 seed helps. Having J'Den Cox not be the #4 seed helps a LOT. The bottom half of 197 is now OFFICIALLY cause I said so the hardest bracket left! :D Morgan McInotsoh is beastly right now, but he will have to beat J'Den Cox in the morning, Kyven Gadsen in the afternoon and Scott Schiller in the evening if he wants to win this title. Any of those three can beat him, imo. And I think McIntosh is good enough to win NCAA's. Guess what? So are all three of them.

Hwt.

Let's start with the bottom of the bracket. Jeremy Johnson gets Mellon from Missouri. The winner gets the winner of Gwaizdowski vs. Jon Gingrich, the back up from Penn State. Gingrich somehow shut out Amar Dhesi who wrestled Nelson pretty well earlier this year by a 5-0 score. I think everyone would bet on Gwiz to get to the final, as would I. Up top you half Nelson pinning all three guys today. You have to like him to also get to the final. He draws Herrin from American U., and he's gonna win that. Gotta figure anyways. But here's the thing. That other match in the top half will go a ways in the team title race as it pits Marsden from Ok State against Penn State's Jimmy Lawson.

I believe this will come down to Minnesota and Penn State simply because Okie State already has lost a couple of guys. But they are still incredibly capable of winning this. A match like Gwiz beating Nelson, either of Cox or Gadsen beating MacIntosh, or Steinhouse not making the final can be the difference just as much as the head to head results.

197 crazy weight

Anything can happen , rooting for gadson but mactintosh man

Didnt see the bennett match but was super at iowa and looks

Like its for real.

Plus never under estimate rosholts they are all gritty

See what happens but macintosh looking the best , normally psu

Fan but rooting gadson.

Crazy weight! Meeks already lost see what tommorrow brings

197 crazy weight

Anything can happen , rooting for gadson but mactintosh man

Didnt see the bennett match but was super at iowa and looks

Like its for real.

Plus never under estimate rosholts they are all gritty

See what happens but macintosh looking the best , normally psu

Fan but rooting gadson.

Crazy weight! Meeks already lost see what tommorrow brings

Did you think Schiller looked OK?

Head schuk

Only reason I left Schiller out Ithought Meeks would come through and upset in semis- it was possible.

Yes Schiller is good

As for Soto not a Homer just had a great tourney recently and yes he is hot and cold

Anyone know how palacio held up against taylor was major ! But I think Reabulto and Palacio have great promise for NY homers!