Sign in to follow this  
Needles

Midlands future

I'm worried that the Midlands is soon going to be just another holiday tournament, no longer the premier mid season tournament. What does Cysewski (tourney director) have to do to keep it strong? Is there anything they can do to stem the shift to the Southern Scuffle. Why is the scuffle more attractive to teams? Does any one remember the Wilkes tournament being the big holiday tournament? How can they keep the Midlands on top or get back on top? Thoughts anyone?

You cling to an illusion of permanence. All things will change eventually and you must accept that. In 30 years, we may be having this same conversation about the scuffle. What's important is not which tournament is the premier one, but that there is a tournament that allows us to see top talent compete against each other during the holiday season.

there is more than enough talent for 2 top tier holiday tournaments, and as SHP has pointed out, both tourney's are at max capacity, so if midlands went away all those teams and wrestlers would have to find somewhere else to compete anyway, so its not like the Midlands is in legit trouble, it just now has another tourney to contend with. to me, as a fan, thats a good thing. it will push Midlands to produce a better product and it affords more wrestlers more opportunities to compete, and its twice as much holiday wrestling for me to follow.

whether or not Midlands gets back on top really isnt much of a concern for me. i guess if a 3rd tourney started up or moved to the same time period and thinned out the entrants some more, there might be cause for concern, but even then i would hope all 3 figure out a way to thrive.

I think if they did a better job of attracting post grads I think it would be a much more interesting tournament. I think it was great to see Darrion Caldwell there this year. Jon Jones talking about going last year which would have been awesome. If they could compile a team of say 10-15 big name post grads every year I think it would put it back on the map as the premier holiday tournament.

My imagination is getting the best of me here and what I'm about to say is rather flabbergasted. However I'd love to see the top 8 placewinners of the Midlands Vs the top 8 place winners of the Southern Scuffle. While I think that the Scuffle would come out victorious at the end of the day amongst the 10, 16 man brackets I don't think it'd be the blow out it is being treated as.

I also agree with Bearcat that attracting more postgrads would help.

If I recall they said during TOM broadcast that the Midlands cenue setup ran into some issues due to some recent NCAA adjustments which caused some to question if it would be better to persue a different arrangement or venue in the future. Not to mention the Big 10 broadcasting lockdown. I only heard half the talk so not sure if that was serious talk or just throwing out "speculative filler."

Midlands has a double edged sword with the inclusion athletes not on D1 rosters. I really think a large part of the draw with the Scuffle has been the new qualification methods for the national tournament.

Since all matches wrestled against athletes on D1 rosters (including redshirts and ineligable athletes) currently count towards an athlete's qualification criteria it is can be more important for a team, especially with limited travel budget and exposure to a diverse mix of teams and talent levels to get qualified matches rather than to see top competition.

I love the inclusion of the D2, D3, NAIA, NJCAA, and post grads at Midlands. As a wrestling fan it makes for a great event. But as a D1 college fan (which I think we are starting to develop more of), and as a coach looking to help qualify their athletes for nationals, it is not the best event.

I have been critical of high school events, like the Ironman, that limit the number of athletes from one program to ensure the field is talented. I think most programs would rather have their whole program able to get matches rather than traveling a few athletes, even if it took a hit at the overall talent level. It is hard to promote your program when you don't have a full team competing.

As for the non-D1 athletes, I love seeing a D3 wrestler in the midlands finals or seeing post grads in the mix. But I have also witness instances when athletes have had records of something like 3-2 at the Midlands and they left with only two or three matches that countded toward NCAA qualification due to getting wins over D2 and Post Grad wrestlers.

Additionally, one of the significant storylines of the Scuffle the last few years has been the team race. It is hard to really put too much into a team race at the midlands when two teams could be neck and neck and an athlete from on of the programs in the team race takes a loss to a post-grad.

The storyline of the scuffle has allowed Cornell, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Minnesota to all hype the event and as a result you have many programs hyping the event, along with Flowrestling, to provide exposure and branding. While I think the BTN does a better job of getting the event out to the masses and is a better media platform for the sport, they do a terrible job of promoting the event and building it up beforehand. Flowrestling does a much better job of promoting an event and making their users care about the event. Additionally, the BTN has an interest in promoting their members and the biggest athletes would likely be post-grads so it seems to be in conflict with their mission to promote what would be the biggest drawing athletes when guys like Darrion Caldwell enter.

The two events are drastically different events. It seems like the Midlands may be struggling a little to find its new identity. It is not quite an individual showcase of folkstyle wrestling talent and not quite a showcase of the best college wrestling programs. The question seems to be if, with the Scuffle claiming the latter, if the Midlands will be able to attract the talent necessary to become the former, and if so, if they will be able to market that talent to educate the fans about how talented the field is with all the individuals. Or will they move to a true collegiate event and go head to head with the Scuffle?

Time will tell...

I think if they did a better job of attracting post grads I think it would be a much more interesting tournament. I think it was great to see Darrion Caldwell there this year. Jon Jones talking about going last year which would have been awesome. If they could compile a team of say 10-15 big name post grads every year I think it would put it back on the map as the premier holiday tournament.

Did Dana stop Jones?

If I recall they said during TOM broadcast that the Midlands cenue setup ran into some issues due to some recent NCAA adjustments which caused some to question if it would be better to persue a different arrangement or venue in the future. Not to mention the Big 10 broadcasting lockdown. I only heard half the talk so not sure if that was serious talk or just throwing out "speculative filler."

New rules this year making sure that there was 5 feet between adjacent circles and that photogs were 5 feet from the edge of the mat (not the circle). In the past, you could grab a bunch of the smaller strip mats and butt the mats up next to each other.

No unfortunately he got hurt and wasn't able to compete. Not sure he would have even if he was 100%, but I don't believe Dana stopped him.

Thanks. Im saying it because Dana was unwilling to let fedor compete in sambo while they were negotiating terms, I believe he said no to diaz and silva when they wanted to box. And I might even hav3 heard that je sair no to gsp's idea of trying out for the olympics (not sure if he weighed in or if others speculated on the last one)