133:Thorn v. Soto for 3rd

141: Dardanes v. McCate for 3rd

149: Dardanes v. Houdashelt for 1st

157: Ness v. Realbuto for 5th

174: Storley v. Wilps for 3rd

184: Steinhaus v. TBD for 5th

197: Schiller v. Gadson for 1st

285: Nelson v. Gwiz for 1st

Only getting three thru to the finals and having multiple number 1's go down........that is like getting run over by a truck!

Jaroslav, I share your sentiments. I don't mind homerism, but trashing other schools/wrestlers/coaches is unnecessary.

Last I saw, while Minny took some unexpected hits, they still were moving guys into the finals and in 2nd place, ahead of Okla St and Cornell. Not exactly "folding like a cheap tent" imo.

Rossell defending Minnesota, now I've seen it all :lol:

BTW, where did I bash any wrestlers or coaches?? I actually don't do that, but there are plenty on this site that do but you guys are no where to be found taking the moral stance in those threads. In the end, this has been a disaster round for the Gophers and I think their coaches, wrestlers and fans would agree with my analogy more then anything.

Jaroslav, I share your sentiments. I don't mind homerism, but trashing other schools/wrestlers/coaches is unnecessary.

Last I saw, while Minny took some unexpected hits, they still were moving guys into the finals and in 2nd place, ahead of Okla St and Cornell. Not exactly "folding like a cheap tent" imo.

BTW, where did I bash any wrestlers or coaches?? I actually don't do that, but there are plenty on this site that do but you guys are no where to be found taking the moral stance in those threads. In the end, this has been a disaster round for the Gophers and I think their coaches, wrestlers and fans would agree with my analogy more then anything.

i would also agree with the notion that it has been a disastrous semis for Minny. i would not agree that your "analogy" does not bash the Minnesota wrestlers as it implies that they were not fighting hard (not to mention short changing their opponents).

i probably woulnt think twice if you were just bashing a program or a coach but to me your calling out the toughness of the wrestlers. so i guess i am just super sensitive about that stuff. its not personal, i am equally annoyed when someone was calling out PSU's or anyone else's wrestlers.

so whatever, didnt mean to make a federal case out of it but too late, i guess.

i would also agree with the notion that it has been a disastrous semis for Minny. i would not agree that your "analogy" does not bash the Minnesota wrestlers as it implies that they were not fighting hard (not to mention short changing their opponents).

i probably woulnt think twice if you were just bashing a program or a coach but to me your calling out the toughness of the wrestlers. so i guess i am just super sensitive about that stuff. its not personal, i am equally annoyed when someone was calling out PSU's or anyone else's wrestlers.

so whatever, didnt mean to make a federal case out of it but too late, i guess.

This isn't a kids tournament. This is the biggest college tournament outside of D1 nationals, and Minnesota is one of the best college wrestling teams in the nation. It is composed of wrestlers who have placed and won at all kinds of state, national, and even international wrestling tournaments. Everyone on that team is obviously tough, or they wouldn't be there. Once one gets to this point, being tough is a given. Fighting hard is or should be a given. Most of the sport's moral victories have been won - actual victories are the goal. To point out that Minnesota is collectively tanking is just pointing out a fact, not attacking anyone's toughness.

-----

FT, I'm not sure why my "defending" Minnesota is so surprising to you. I'll defend any team/wrestler or coach that gets trashed unfairly. It just so happens that with Iowa, well, it occupies a lot of my posts.

I simply didn't agree with your painting the whole Minnesota team as some kind of cheap tent folding. And with Dardanes, Schiller and Nelson all moving to finals and Minny in 2nd place, well, the evidence speaks for itself.

-----

FT, I'm not sure why my "defending" Minnesota is so surprising to you. I'll defend any team/wrestler or coach that gets trashed unfairly. It just so happens that with Iowa, well, it occupies a lot of my posts.

I simply didn't agree with your painting the whole Minnesota team as some kind of cheap tent folding. And with Dardanes, Schiller and Nelson all moving to finals and Minny in 2nd place, well, the evidence speaks for itself.

"Folding like a cheap tent," a common and rather milquetoast sports cliche, ignites war on wrestling board due to rampant disagreement about the aptness of the analogy to the situation it was intended to describe.

This whole discussion is hilarious. Minnesota was in position to possibly win this thing, but had an absolutely horrible semi-finals and wrestlebacks. Given where Minnesota started, being in second place (without any hope of winning) is not a moral victory, it's an absolute DISASTER.

This isn't a kids tournament. This is the biggest college tournament outside of D1 nationals, and Minnesota is one of the best college wrestling teams in the nation. It is composed of wrestlers who have placed and won at all kinds of state, national, and even international wrestling tournaments. Everyone on that team is obviously tough, or they wouldn't be there. Once one gets to this point, being tough is a given. Fighting hard is or should be a given. Most of the sport's moral victories have been won - actual victories are the goal. To point out that Minnesota is collectively tanking is just pointing out a fact, not attacking anyone's toughness.

until they start getting paid, theyre still college kids earning a degree, wrestling for the love of the sport.

this isnt about coddling wrestling or participation trophies or moral victories or whatever else people are trying to make it about, its about the fans showing these college student athletes the respect they deserve. trash the over paid pro athletes if thats your thing.

yes minnesota is tanking. you can make that point a million different ways without the cheap insults. its poor form and as fans we should be better than that, especially since we expect so much from the wrestlers.

Gabe Dean with the 3-1 win over Steinhaus!

Just a disastrous semifinal round for Minnesota. Wow, what a catastrophe.

Are you even allowed to mention his name on this message board? His dad runs the "Organization-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named", so does the banishment edict carry over to his progeny?

What we need to be aware of is ....

Nothing like a tough loss (as an individual) or as a Team, as it is a drastic, and painful situation which often times will motivate a guy or the team to come out as Gang Busters the next time in a dual or by the time the NCAA's roll around.

Revenge or redemption is a very powerful motivator.

PS: The OP needs to be careful, as PSU will not always be on top of the heap. There will be a day of reckoning as some point down the road.. .

until they start getting paid, theyre still college kids earning a degree, wrestling for the love of the sport.

this isnt about coddling wrestling or participation trophies or moral victories or whatever else people are trying to make it about, its about the fans showing these college student athletes the respect they deserve. trash the over paid pro athletes if thats your thing.

yes minnesota is tanking. you can make that point a million different ways without the cheap insults. its poor form and as fans we should be better than that, especially since we expect so much from the wrestlers.

Many of them do get paid, but that's beside the point.

I'm not trying to be rude, but is English your native language? Because "folding like a cheap tent" is about the most innocuous cliche (it's hardly an analogy) to sum up Minny's pukefest I can think of. I mean, it's not saying anything at all other that the obvious - Minny had a horrible semi's and wrestlebacks. I really am not sure what you think the phrase means.

Anyway, I think you should forward your concerns to J and the Minny coaching staff immediately. I know J well enough to know he's capable of some pretty scathing "analogies."

Many of them do get paid, but that's beside the point.

I'm not trying to be rude, but is English your native language? Because "folding like a cheap tent" is about the most innocuous cliche (it's hardly an analogy) to sum up Minny's pukefest I can think of. I mean, it's not saying anything at all other that the obvious - Minny had a horrible semi's and wrestlebacks. I really am not sure what you think the phrase means.

Anyway, I think you should forward your concerns to J and the Minny coaching staff immediately. I know J well enough to know he's capable of some pretty scathing "analogies."

yeah i already covered the "sorry if im being too sensitive" mea culpa earlier in the thread. you might also want to go back and see where the thread's subject line is first referred to as an "analogy". ie not by me.

but yes, i get it. unless we call out wrestlers for under preforming they'll turn into gaping hatchet wounds (apologies for the cliche). glad there's folks out there keeping our college wrestlers toughened up.

now excuse me i have to go bone up on my ESL exams as i clearly havent been studying enough to achieve perfect fluency.

I will tell you one thing. Thorn pushed the pace of the Gullibon match and I frankly am amazed that he wasn't able to pull that one out. The way he controlled ties I thought it was just a matter of time before he scored given how often he had Gullibon out of position. That said, he never got to his shots and Gullibon gutted that out. No way you watch that match though and criticize the Minnesota kid for not being tough.

I will tell you one thing. Thorn pushed the pace of the Gullibon match and I frankly am amazed that he wasn't able to pull that one out. The way he controlled ties I thought it was just a matter of time before he scored given how often he had Gullibon out of position. That said, he never got to his shots and Gullibon gutted that out. No way you watch that match though and criticize the Minnesota kid for not being tough.

You're right.

But you should criticize him for starting way too slowly. If he had wrestled with 1/10 the urgency he did in the final minute of the match, I would have him wining comfortably, not scrambling in the end.

I bet their next encounter will end quite differently. That said, kudos to Gullibon. He did exactly what he had to do to beat a tough, physically superior opponent. This is an important win for his development.

"Folding like a cheap tent," a common and rather milquetoast sports cliche, ignites war on wrestling board due to rampant disagreement about the aptness of the analogy to the situation it was intended to describe.

This whole discussion is hilarious. Minnesota was in position to possibly win this thing, but had an absolutely horrible semi-finals and wrestlebacks. Given where Minnesota started, being in second place (without any hope of winning) is not a moral victory, it's an absolute DISASTER.

So this is war? Or a disaster? WWI was a war, and Hurricane Katrina was a disaster. Talk about your common clichés. Here's another one: Minnesota stunk it up at the scuffle. How's that?

This conversation is as productive as pothead on welfare.

yeah that just about sums it up.

ok so my opinion hasnt changed but i do i regret spazzing out so hard when i should have just ignored this dumb thread from the beginning. hopefully next time i'll be less of a crankypants.

fun finals. when i could get flo to work anyway.