Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Dean Does the Impossible!!!

165 - Best Wrestler on PSU team

174 - Andrew Howe arguably the best wrestler in college, and contender for Hodge

Oh, COME ON!!!!! :roll:

Maybe not a contender for the Hodge, but I think he has a case for best wrestler in college.

This is one of the biggest upsets in recent memory...now I don't think it happens twice but just to happen once is a major accomplishment. I thought Ruth would annihilate everyone on his way to a 3rd NCAA title but I was wrong. What an exciting tournament full of upsets

I think the P4P rankings have to go 1. Taylor 2. Howe and then who freakin knows

This is one of the biggest upsets in recent memory...now I don't think it happens twice but just to happen once is a major accomplishment. I thought Ruth would annihilate everyone on his way to a 3rd NCAA title but I was wrong. What an exciting tournament full of upsets

I think the P4P rankings have to go 1. Taylor 2. Howe and then who freakin knows

Its actually like this

1.)Retherford

2.)Taylor

3.)Howe

4.)Nelson

5.)Dean

6.)Ruth

7.)Stieber

8.)StJohn

9.)Dieringer

First of all, Dean won this match more than Ruth lost it and he deserves his due. There were a few things that I noticed that seemed to be mental lapses by Ruth (or just bad wrestling). 1) The stalling point he gave up by not attemping to execute a mat return turned out to be crucial 2) Ruth had a chance to escape early in the 3rd period to keep his riding time but was lazy facing Dean and allowed him to dive back in on his ankles...Dean subsequently erased the riding time point. However, Dean seemed to be super strong and was able to defend the leg attacks that Ruth always seems to finish. I'm not sure if Ruth expected an easy fall like he got in there first match but it was Dean who controled the pace of the match and Ruth didn't do much to change it.

Dean wrestled well on his feet but he also did nothing on the mat. He would just grap the leg and hold it up without trying to do much of anything. On bottom, he would stand and run to the line, stop and fight the return looking for a stall call. This is the kind of match the coaches will review wih Ruth and then it will be back to beat down city...... yea he broke him, ok :lol:

Nominated for worst post of the year. Butt-hurt much? Ruth gets it physically taken to him and fades before everyone's eyes and some internet tough guy gets on here and starts talking cr@p about how Ruth is gonna beat the kid down next time! Is this a joke? I assume you wrote "lol" when looking in the mirror.

If Dean is beat again this year, regardless of who does it, I highly doubt he will get "beat down". He's a brick with a gas tank - lethal combo.

Seems like you are the one that is "butt hurt". Dean was pinned by Ruth and lost to Sheptock this season already so this match was more about Ruth crapping out then Gabe Dean, imo. Feel free to disagree, intelligently, if possible, and we can revisit this in March.

I am a Penn State fan and will say this:

If Dean worked harder than Ruth in AND out of the room for the past couple months, then that is the difference right there. Last match of a long, tough tournament (like the NCAAs or B1Gs) you had better be on your A game and fit as can be. Ruth looked GASSED. He lacked the usual explosiveness and quickness. He couldn't even get off bottom!

This match is a great example what determination and hard work can do to overcome any kind of talent that doesn't match your work effort.

Ruth needs to get to work. That's what this $#!thouse doctor is ordering.

165 - Best Wrestler on PSU team

174 - Andrew Howe arguably the best wrestler in college, and contender for Hodge

Oh, COME ON!!!!! :roll:

Maybe not a contender for the Hodge, but I think he has a case for best wrestler in college.

No question....agreed. Howe is an absolute beast.

It is just my opinion that Dean did an excellent job with his down block preventing Ruth from locking his hands on his single. When Ruth got his hands locked his length and strength in the position gave Dean trouble and he scored. I think Cornell did an excellent job with Dean coaching him in this position and capitalizing on his counter attacks.

I think neither did much on the mat and the difference was Dean kept working to prevent that critical riding time that Ruth had.

If Ruth goes back to his misdirection single it could be trouble for Dean. It seemed as if Ruth just focused on one shot.

Also, i don't think either wrestler looked gassed, they looked like to physical beasts that both were exerting a lot of energy.

I'd pay to see a rematch!!

Congratulations to Dean. He's a hoss and will be a force to come in the college ranks, if not immediately.

But Ruth has to take a long hard look in the mirror because many of the things that have bugged people about him for a while now came back to bite him, as follows:

giving up a quick, first period takedown: that's happened several times in this young season, but it was always no biggie, 'cept this time it mattered because Dean was able to ride him and shorten the match considerably . . .

the lazy ride on top: people have talked for year about how he flirts with the stalling call on top. Well this time he lost a point at a very inopportune time in the match. Changed the whole complexion of the match.

lack of urgency: there were several scores that were out of bounds, or as time expired. Bottom line, he waited too long, was too complacent, 'til it was too late.

lack of discipline: getting smashed on a week-night in season was prolly just the tip of the ice-berg and indicative of a wider problem;

One thing Dean exposed that I'm not sure we all knew: Ruth too often compensates for the lack of a set-up on his feet with those long arms of his. In other words, he gets take-downs he shouldn't just because of his incredible wing-span. Dean was able to neutralize that by keeping his feet well back and with good head-hands defense.

Excellent breakdown Brutus. Ed is so good that he can often get away with stuff; not this match. I especially noticed the diving shots instead of setting them up.

Regarding the discipline thing.. considering the personal problems Ed has/had it's not at all surprising that his wrestling would not be at its best.

Congratulations to Dean. He's a hoss and will be a force to come in the college ranks, if not immediately.

But Ruth has to take a long hard look in the mirror because many of the things that have bugged people about him for a while now came back to bite him, as follows:

giving up a quick, first period takedown: that's happened several times in this young season, but it was always no biggie, 'cept this time it mattered because Dean was able to ride him and shorten the match considerably . . .

the lazy ride on top: people have talked for year about how he flirts with the stalling call on top. Well this time he lost a point at a very inopportune time in the match. Changed the whole complexion of the match.

lack of urgency: there were several scores that were out of bounds, or as time expired. Bottom line, he waited too long, was too complacent, 'til it was too late.

lack of discipline: getting smashed on a week-night in season was prolly just the tip of the ice-berg and indicative of a wider problem;

One thing Dean exposed that I'm not sure we all knew: Ruth too often compensates for the lack of a set-up on his feet with those long arms of his. In other words, he gets take-downs he shouldn't just because of his incredible wing-span. Dean was able to neutralize that by keeping his feet well back and with good head-hands defense.

Great analysis. I 100% agree with this.

I said a week ago that Ruth was a sloppy wrestler, not nearly the technical wrestler that Taylor is, and will never be a major force internationally. He gets by vs college kids by overpowering them, and using that freakish wingspan. He's sloppy. Great athlete, sloppy wrestler.

Gabe Dean is pretty damn impressive. Announcers saying he is pretty damn thick. Shows some incredible technique and great strength. Anyone have good background on him?

Kudos to Dean. Momentous victory.

His dad was the top assistant to Minkel at MSU before he stepped down in 2005 to take the coaching position at Lowell. He did it partially because he wanted to coach Gabe in HS.

Another one from Michigan we let get away (sigh) :cry:

Its actually like this

1.)Retherford

2.)Taylor

3.)Howe

4.)Nelson

5.)Dean

6.)Ruth

7.)Stieber

8.)StJohn

9.)Dieringer

Calm down Mrs. Retherford. I really can't tell if you're trolling or not, this list is insane.

How tall is Gabe Dean, he looks considerably thicker through the chest, waist and legs than Ruth...

This is what I said last night. He looked huge compared to Ruth.

Ruth is like a neutron star where Dean is like a main sequence star. Although equal in mass, one is bigger and brighter in appearance.