Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Rob Koll, Shatterer of Penn State Legacies

Historic loss right here.

Or just what was needed.

This is not necessarily and "either/or", it can be both. Even if Ruth turns it around at ncaas, it's still a historic loss. This overly dichotomous thinking has to stop.

Won't bother me. As far as I am concerned Dean deserved to win tonight. He hustled and, imo, Ruth was sort of lackadaisical.

As long as Ed learns his lesson and wins NCAA's I'll be happy about ot.

DT got caught against Bubba - Ruth got beat and had zero answers for Dean, big difference.

DT was pinned by a wrestler who he never proved to be better than. Jenkins countered DT's shot and cradled him. DT didn't slip on a wet spot on the mat.

Kudos to Koll but Damion Hahn must get most of the credit for this guy! Hahn is the best assistant in the country, hands down. Look at Cornell's production at the upper weights since he's joined. It's insane.
Cam Simaz has his fingerprints all over dean

Ruth had his fingerprints all over Simaz when they wrestled. This is a head scratching crazy loss to me. Dean was very impressive this weekend but Ruth has been untouchable. Interesting to see how this loss affects him. Definitely hurts his spot on the all time ladder.

I am amazed that Ruth got beat. I truly believed that he would cruise the remainder of the year. Goes to show that you still have to wrestle the match. Palacio wrestled Taylor pretty strong until the last 45 seconds as well. He didn't do much, but kept to a 2 pt match going into the 3rd. Looks like Cornell has some young studs of their own.

I'm sure coach kill is as excited as coach Sanderson was a few years back. I'm pretty sure it was special for him considering if not for Cael, he might be sitting in his office in Rec Hall! But really, like so many tourney championships the winning team has mixed emotions. Championships are great but when some you expect fall short it kinda sucks.

I'm just thankful it happened now and not in March. Anything is still possible including Minny putting it together. Hopefully Ed comes in with a chip on his shoulder. I think he works better that way. Perhaps Ed's loss and others who fell short this weekend use it as fuel for the rest of the season.

I'm sure coach kill is as excited as coach Sanderson was a few years back. I'm pretty sure it was special for him considering if not for Cael, he might be sitting in his office in Rec Hall! But really, like so many tourney championships the winning team has mixed emotions. Championships are great but when some you expect fall short it kinda sucks.

I'm just thankful it happened now and not in March. Anything is still possible including Minny putting it together. Hopefully Ed comes in with a chip on his shoulder. I think he works better that way. Perhaps Ed's loss and others who fell short this weekend use it as fuel for the rest of the season.

Kyle Dake and Damion Hahn as coaches/practice partners have been pretty impressive so far. Cornell is quietly building a very good program.

I don't think it even that quietly...w/ the young talent they are developing in the room the are making a ton of noise. Who in the country does a better job developing talent than Cornell?

Kudos to Koll but Damion Hahn must get most of the credit for this guy! Hahn is the best assistant in the country, hands down. Look at Cornell's production at the upper weights since he's joined. It's insane.
Cam Simaz has his fingerprints all over dean

Ruth had his fingerprints all over Simaz when they wrestled. This is a head scratching crazy loss to me. Dean was very impressive this weekend but Ruth has been untouchable. Interesting to see how this loss affects him. Definitely hurts his spot on the all time ladder.

And cost him any chance for the Hodge, I would guess.

Kyle Dake and Damion Hahn as coaches/practice partners have been pretty impressive so far. Cornell is quietly building a very good program.

I don't think it even that quietly...w/ the young talent they are developing in the room the are making a ton of noise. Who in the country does a better job developing talent than Cornell?

Penn State. Current 3x NCAA Champions says this is objectively so. Scoring about 2/3rds more points than Cornell at The Southern Scuffle backs the point up.

i think Cornell has a good case to make for this. its impossible to measure precisely, since you cant go back and have all the recruits re-wrestle their careers with different coaching staffs, but if you look at where their guys were on the recruiting lists and where they end up, it is quite impressive. i suppose this would have to be countered with the number of misses they have, since Cornell seems to bring in a ton of guys into the room ever year.

but either way, the sport is much better off with Koll and his team developing young talent. tough not to be a fan of the program.

There's a difference between recruiting talent, and developing talent. Cael gets kids walking in the door that are already great wrestlers, at least more of them than other programs.

He's a great coach, and seems to be a decent guy, but just winning team titles doesn't stamp you as the best at developing talent.

There's a difference between recruiting talent, and developing talent. Cael gets kids walking in the door that are already great wrestlers, at least more of them than other programs.

He's a great coach, and seems to be a decent guy, but just winning team titles doesn't stamp you as the best at developing talent.

But it does ease the pain of realizing you're not the best at developing talent.

But it does ease the pain of realizing you're not the best at developing talent.

I hope your talking about your home state team!! :o

Seriously.......You can't help be impressed with what Cornell does but I'm still wondering how they get sooooo many recruits and have no scholly $. I know.....need based/accademic aid but their recruiting classes seem huge! That said, I am impressed with a few of our recent recruits that have shown market improvement in a short period (Hammonds, Beitz, McCutchen & particularly Wes Phipps. Phipps was totally destroyed by Jordan Rogers at the Dapper Dan and just took out the 9th ranked kid at the Scuffle and McCutchen took out the 10th ranked kid at 184.

Ultimately, to make it to the top your coach better be able to recruit as well as he develops prospects. And all coaches have top kids who just don't progress.

Koll certainly has a quick learner in Dean!! Athletes who quarterback their HS to championships are favorites to do well in any sport. Damned....not many QBs are built like that kid.

regarding Cornell's recruitment on no schollies, a lot of ivys and schools with massive endowments are able to go to the personalized payment plan for each student. you basically turn over some financial documents and they tell you what you pay, and if your parents dont make up to a certain threshold, you pay nothing. so as long as you can get in, they will make sure its affordable.

every school is different of course and i have no inside scoop at Cornell but the big endowments and hefty need based aid pool does a lot to ease the lack of scholarships.

regarding Cornell's recruitment on no schollies, a lot of ivys and schools with massive endowments are able to go to the personalized payment plan for each student. you basically turn over some financial documents and they tell you what you pay, and if your parents dont make up to a certain threshold, you pay nothing. so as long as you can get in, they will make sure its affordable.

every school is different of course and i have no inside scoop at Cornell but the big endowments and hefty need based aid pool does a lot to ease the lack of scholarships.

Guys like Lewnes had to pay full tuition. He wanted to be at Cornell and paid for it. The advantages of need based tuition rates are not universally advantageous.