Sign in to follow this  
Husker_Du

Dean-Ruth Video

Ruth was slow, and did not wrestle with a sense of urgency. Dean competed hard and won. Next match I will go with Ruth.

That was certainly a big part of it. Ruth wrestled with little awareness in this match. He was close to getting a takedown in two periods, but time ran out. The whole penalty point thing that he got and Dean did not get, his not hustling to get the escape.

All added up to Dean winning. Not a bad result when you consider Dean wrestled HARD and Ruth looked somewhat unprepared. I'm searchimng for the correct word and that one is as good as any.

Trying to be objective, and I like Ruth, but to say he wrestled much different than he normally did is a stretch. He always wrestles with no sense of urgency. Usually, there isn't one because he has such a big lead, but he always seems relaxed. It just seems that he couldn't finish most of his shots due to Dean's strength. Dean got this one, but I'd expect Ruth to bounce back next time.

I don't think Ruth's effort was lacking, but he wasn't very sharp. Diving for shots, a step behind on the whistle when ground wrestling, etc. Also had some bad luck with those too-late TDs and the penalty point. Dean looks like a huge pain to wrestle- strong as an ox, good positioning, never gives you time to rest.

Not sure why Ruth got a penalty or why Dean did'n't, but that "riding" was awful to watch. Hugging someone around the waist for long period of time is not exciting or productive wrestling and the rules should reflect that. Also, the fact that these guys can go out of bounds 10,000 times whenever they feel like it is frustrating. Good match, but could have been a great one if both guys actually had to stay on the mat.

Serious question, should the ref have called stalling when Dean lifts the leg at the whistle and just holds position? This really slowed Ruth on bottom and was very frustrating to watch as a PSU fan.

No, not at that point because Dean can be argued as trying to improve his position. NHico does the same exact thing all the time, as do many great wrestlers.

Where the ref went wrong imo is calling the penalty on Ruth for running Dean out of bounds when that was at least 50/50 on Dean, as he was legitimately trying to escape, and then not calling the penalty on Dean for doing the exact same thing that Ruth had done.

Dean reminds me of Phil Keddy and Keddy controlled Ruth much the same way at the world team trials a couple years ago. Ruth is obviously ungodly strong, and to have any chance to bet him I think you have to be in this same category yourself. Keddy and Dean are both build like tanks and wrestle like them as well. I don't think there is many people with even the toolset to compete with Ruth but obviously Dean is one of them.

Serious question, should the ref have called stalling when Dean lifts the leg at the whistle and just holds position? This really slowed Ruth on bottom and was very frustrating to watch as a PSU fan.

I think it is stalling but it seems that a lot of wrestlers use this technique and get away with it. With that said that is not the reason Ruth got beat he looked slow wondering if he was sick?

Oh, so Ruth got screwed by the ref. That's pretty original. I wonder why the refs didn't screw him in the other 80 some matches? The fact that Ruth is not committed to his training and his team showed up last night and some, not all, PSU fans are still in denial.

Depends how long he sits on the leg, it is usually treated the same as holding a body lock from behind once the bottom wrestler stands up (where most stall calls come from). I think he moved and transitioned enough to avoid getting hit - the one time he got hit for stalling was terrible too. Personally thought Ruth should have been hit for stalling at least one more time in the match.

Not to nitpick, but it would be great if you could add 30 seconds or so-- we'd like to see the handshake and the reaction from the corners.

For some reason I like to see those reactions too. I always wonder what each other is thinking.

I watched for this last night. Ed handled himself very well. He shook Dean's hand, and stayed while Dean's hand was raised. Then Ed went and shook the Cornell coaches's hands (assuming that, but he did move to that corner), then Dean and Ed crossed paths, and Ed shook Dean's hand again. Handled like a man. Very classy.

As for the stall calls (or more appropriately lack of stall calls), this match was a classic example of another NCAA ref that won't call the Stalling rule. Here it is to refresh your memory:

5.9 Stalling

5.9.1. Action is to be maintained by all contestants STAYING NEAR THE CENTER OF THE MAT and wrestling aggressively in all positions. Stalling is defined as one or both wrestlers attempting to avoid wrestling action as an offensive or defensive strategy.

5.9.2. Neutral position stalling. Each wrestler MUST ATTEMPT TO WORK TOWARD THE CENTER OF THE MAT and continue wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. Stalling in the neutral position is defined as follows:

5.9.2.1 Continually backing away from the opponent without creating offensive action.

5.9.2.2 NEAR THE EDGE OF THE WRESTLING AREA, A WRESTLER SHALL NOT LEAVE THE WRESTLING AREA unless it is a sprawl from an opponent's takedown attempt or when interlocked in wrestling.

Ruth and Dean went out of bounds 18 times in that match. IMO, just ridiculous, and I don't blame the wrestlers. Heck, if the ref is going to give you free timeouts, why not take them if you need them?

Rule 5.9.2.2 needs to be enforced properly. A month or so ago, Rakkasan91 posted Pat McCormick's interpretation video of "interlocked in wrestling" portion of 5922. Pat explained that it was ok to go off the wrestling area as long as there was contact between the two wrestlers. IMO, "contact", and "interlocked" need to be more specific. You can't just have wrestlers walking off the wrestling area at will just because there is contact. An honest scramble, ok, - a free break, no way.

Go look at this match, the fans were booing, both coaches wanted stalling, and the FLO announcers were all over the lack of stall calls. Once again, I'm not singling out that particular ref (I actually had the privilege to work a few tourneys with him, and Curtis, and Pat - great to see those guys on the broadcast) but IMO way too many NCAA refs let this garbage happen.

If George just would penalized Ruth at 2:37 left in the first period, he probably would have set the tone that the wrestlers better stay in the middle and wrestle. Look at it, Ruth walks right off. How can you not call that?

I was also impressed with how Ruth handled the loss and gave his sincere congrats to Dean.

Ruth did not get screwed by the ref, that loss was not due to any missed stall calls. Ruth lost the match because he was overconfident. He gave up points early and assumed he would get them back, he was close to scoring as time ran out, he assumed he would score next go. Ruth was close to escaping and relaxed, out of bounds. Meanwhile, Dean is hustling and working like a champ and came away with a well deserved win. I am looking forward to watching them wrestle again.

I watched for this last night. Ed handled himself very well. He shook Dean's hand, and stayed while Dean's hand was raised. Then Ed went and shook the Cornell coaches's hands (assuming that, but he did move to that corner), then Dean and Ed crossed paths, and Ed shook Dean's hand again. Handled like a man. Very classy.

Ruth handled the loss well, congratulating Dean and shaking the Cornell coaches hands. He also showed up and acted with class at the awards presentation. It's exactly how I expected him to act as he has always appeared to me to compete with class and good sportsmanship.

I like to watch the after-match reactions of the wrestlers, as well. I was at the Scuffle and can confirm your assumption is correct about Ed shaking hands with the Cornell coaches. As a matter of fact, I thought Ed's reaction was no different from the earlier matches which he won handily. (Of course, that's from external appearances, internally may be a different matter altogether.)

Also, I'd agree with the others that Ruth always handles himself with class - whether he wins or loses.

It's good to know that Ruth showed class. A lot of guys can barely look at their opponent while shaking hands before fleeing the mat (or even the arena). FWIW, Taylor showed good sportsmanship, too, when he lost to Dake.

Still, I'd like to see it myself.