Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State Won Because of Depth, Not Bonus Pts

Here is a breakdown of the point scorers for Penn State, Ok State, and Minnesota. Looking at this, you can see that Penn State's win at The Southern Scuffle was due to overall depth, not just bonus points.

Team Scores

Penn State 189

Okla State 164.5

Minnesota 161

Bonus Victories

Penn State 12 majors, 2 tech falls, 9 Falls

Okla State 6 majors, 4 tech falls, 8 Falls

Minnesota 4 majors, 3 tech falls, 7 Falls

There isn't enough disparity there to account for the point differential, so Penn State did not win solely due to bonus points. They won mostly because of overall depth. It isn't just Ruth and Taylor doing this.

Is there anyone out there that honestly believes another team stands a snowball's chance in hell of beating Penn State at nationals?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that nobody has a chance of beating them, that would be idiotic... I would say they are the definite front runner but I think Minnesota could beat them if things work out well for them. They have a legitimate chance of AAs at 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197 and 285. Out of those they could win it at 149, 157, 174, 197 and heavy. While I don't think they will it doesn't mean that they can't. So yes, there is a team that stands a chance in hell of beating Penn State at NCAAs this year.

Is there anyone out there that honestly believes another team stands a snowball's chance in hell of beating Penn State at nationals?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that nobody has a chance of beating them, that would be idiotic... I would say they are the definite front runner but I think Minnesota could beat them if things work out well for them. They have a legitimate chance of AAs at 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197 and 285. Out of those they could win it at 149, 157, 174, 197 and heavy. While I don't think they will it doesn't mean that they can't. So yes, there is a team that stands a chance in hell of beating Penn State at NCAAs this year.

Nobody has a chance of beating them. With the Altons back in the lineup, they will have eight guys who will contend for titles. This is the best team I've ever seen.

TBar, what do those bonus victories translate to in point potential? Just curious.

At NCAA's you get 1 for a major, 1.5 for a tech fall (with backs of course), and 2 for a FALL. At this event I am honestly not sure because if you use those numbers they don't totally square up with what some of the scorers I looked at got. I do stand by the assertion that there isn't any way of scoring this that would account for the differential being totally from bonus points, or even majoritively from bonus point differential. Penn State just got more points from each weight class on average than the others.

EDIT: I listed the original post the way I did i.e. just stating the bonus wins because I could not find a link to their scoring system + it did not seem to add up using NCAA scoring.

Here is a breakdown of the point scorers for Penn State, Ok State, and Minnesota. Looking at this, you can see that Penn State's win at The Southern Scuffle was due to overall depth, not just bonus points.

Team Scores

Penn State 189

Okla State 164.5

Minnesota 161

Bonus Victories

There isn't enough disparity there to account for the point differential, so Penn State did not win solely due to bonus points. They won mostly because of overall depth. It isn't just Ruth and Taylor doing this.

If your looking for a reason that Penn St won, it's because as Tom Brands would say, Mn pooped their pants in the semis. Or as I like to say they s*** the bed. I want Mn to win the NCAAs this year, but they have to avoid that type of collapse to win it.

Team Scores

Penn State 189

Okla State 164.5

Minnesota 161

Bonus Victories

According to Track's own software (which does not dovetail with TBar's numbers):

Penn State: 43 bonus points

Oklahoma State: 36 bonus points

Minnesota: 31.5 bonus points

Team Scores

Penn State 189

Okla State 164.5

Minnesota 161

Bonus Victories

According to Track's own software (which does not dovetail with TBar's numbers):

Penn State: 43 bonus points

Oklahoma State: 36 bonus points

Minnesota: 31.5 bonus points

SHP, I added up the bonus wins of the 10 scorers for each team. I did not really try to find the actual bonus pts because I wasn't sure they kept track of them separately.

Anyway, just looking at the numbers you posted you can still see that the point I made was accurate. Oklahoma State only lost the bonus pt. battle by 7 points, but the overall team score by 24.5 points. Minnesota lost the bonus pt. battle by 11.5 points, but the overall team score by 28 points. Posters routinely state as fact that Penn State only wins because of bonus points, and they usually point out Taylor and Ruth when doing so. True they are great bonus scorers, but in both cases with Ok State and Minnesota they lost more points due to factors not including bonus pts. than by bonus pts. alone.