Sign in to follow this  
pushout

Wait until the Altons comeback

How many darn times are people going to use this one. This type of convo has been going on about these 2 their entire careers at PSU. PSU is good right now with or without the Altons, whose to say how well they would actually do? Beitz and Vollrath and Frye are not slouches and i would venture a guess that these go's between them and the Altons in the room are very close. Ive heard the old "Altons destroy them in the room" line once to often. If they are that much better than where are they?

Reminds me of Hoosiers after a couple guys quit and the crowd boos the team at the pep rally and the coach says "This is your team". Its time for the PSU faithful to drop the Alton thing until they actually do something and for the coaches to recognize the guys that are there every day grinding it out!

I think there is a big difference between Alton's and their backups. Their backups are real solid and could start for alot of other teams but you have to look at quality of wins. Who have Beitz and Vollath beat compared with the Alton's? For all their criticisms, the Alton's already have a 3rd place finish and still have two more NCAA"s to compete in. Is it what many thought coming out of high school? No, but they are still notably better than their backups even if they go close in the room. Now, shoulder injuries can be tricky so I will be anxious to see how they perform when they come back.

Playing the Nickerdoodles card. Bonus points for Scribe:) One thing shoulder injuries have taught us, via Caldwell/Doodles/and the twins. They are one of the most difficult injuries to ever fully recover from. I don't see a lot of shoulder injuries happen to wrestlers, but once they go bad, they seem to greatly reduce their owners stock.

Playing the Nickerdoodles card. Bonus points for Scribe:) One thing shoulder injuries have taught us, via Caldwell/Doodles/and the twins. They are one of the most difficult injuries to ever fully recover from. I don't see a lot of shoulder injuries happen to wrestlers, but once they go bad, they seem to greatly reduce their owners stock.

McDonough too.

Cael Sanderson is playing this smart. He's bringing them back ultra slowly and conservatively. That should not be viewed at this time as a negative, but rather a positive.

I think the Alton's are going to do well once they get back. If you think back to Andrew's freshman year, he was pounding the people he should have and only lost (all very close) to AA's (Russell, Marion, Kennedy, Kemmerer) during the season. At the NCAA tourney, he looked like he was just beat up from wrestling so many matches. Same thing last year. They should be able to peak at the right time this year & really help the team at NCAA's

Honest question here. When was the last time either of the Altons were wrestling at a level where we thought they could contend for the title over the length of a few weeks or so?

I think the better question is whether or not they have the talent to contend for the title, and they clearly do have the talent. The question is of health, not ability.

Vollrath in previous seasons has had some quite notable wins. Two years ago at the Scuffle he beat Bryce Saddoris and last season he head Alex Dieringer. The only other person to beat Dieringer last year was DSJ. This year has been somewhat less impressive for Vollrath. I think it's the first time failed to place at the scuffle.

Honest question here. When was the last time either of the Altons were wrestling at a level where we thought they could contend for the title over the length of a few weeks or so?

I think the better question is whether or not they have the talent to contend for the title, and they clearly do have the talent. The question is of health, not ability.

I do agree that with their talent there always is the chance they can compete this year with the top guys, but at the same time the Altons havent show they can beat the top 10 guys consistently since when, before the 2011 NCAA's for Andrew and the 2012 NCAA's for Dylan? I'm not sure it's just that easy to flip the switch back on when it hasnt been done is almost 2-3 years especially coming off a serious injury.

A wise man once told me that you'd better take care of your shoulders because if you injure them you wont even be able to do simple tasks such as wiping your own butt, so take care of your shoulders because your a$$ depends on it.

No not at all but I'm just saying everyone around here seems to think this will be a total different team with those 2 back.

Lets say that Vollrath and Beitz would go a combined 3-4 at NCAA's

Then lets say the Altons would go 5-4 at NCAA's

Thats only a few additional points

Basically what I'm saying is the Altons arent going to score you 20-30 more points at NCAA's than Vollrath and Beitz. If they wrestle average they might not even score more than Vollrath and Beitz would.

IRTYTKY, are you thinking the Altons will flop when they come back? You seem to be leaning that way. What are the odds they can make AA this year, in your opinion?

Until they show something this year I would say you have to expect a similar finish to last year.

IRTYTKY, are you thinking the Altons will flop when they come back? You seem to be leaning that way. What are the odds they can make AA this year, in your opinion?

Until they show something this year I would say you have to expect a similar finish to last year.

Fair enough. We'll see what happens when they start wrestling more frequently.

i understand where the questions about andrew come from, but do you guys remembers dylan's ncaa tournament? it looked like he was going to win the scramble and beat welch in the quarters. welch came up on top and made the finals. had dylan finished off that scramble he finishes sixth at worst and probably makes the finals. he then goes into the wrestlebacks and gets double-legged across the mat every different way by james green. to say that dylan hasn't show anything in a long time is wrong.

i understand where the questions about andrew come from, but do you guys remembers dylan's ncaa tournament? it looked like he was going to win the scramble and beat welch in the quarters. welch came up on top and made the finals. had dylan finished off that scramble he finishes sixth at worst and probably makes the finals. he then goes into the wrestlebacks and gets double-legged across the mat every different way by james green. to say that dylan hasn't show anything in a long time is wrong.

I agree. They may be twins, and they may have similar issues, but Dylan has proven his worth more than his brother has. If Dylan is able to come back in shape (even just by his standards) and the shoulder injury is not too debilitating, two huge ifs, he is definitely an AA contender. He is also the type of guy who may not win it all or make the finals, but could beat anyone any given match. I definitely would not want him on my side of the bracket.

Neither will AA IMHO. They have shown to be very inconsistent as well as out of shape. To believe they have benefited from being sidelined this season while recovering from surgery is hogwash. The time away paired with no real competetive wrestling spells doom for the both of them. They will be out of shape and rusty, just my opinion