Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

The giant killers

It has always fascinated me, those wrestlers that have that special something in them to beat those that were thought of as unbeatable. Time and again, these bouts are the most interesting to me, and give the most inspiration. The age old myth of david vs goliath.

I remember Schlater coming in as a true freshmen to take down the invincible Esposito.

Owings over Gable

Schultz over Banach

Caldwell over Metcalf

Retherford over Stieber

Dean over Ruth

who else had that special ability to take down the giant of their day. Which bouts have stood out in your mind as memorable?

Bubba over Taylor is the first that comes to my mind.

Palmer over metcalf at big 10's was pretty shocking too.

Konrad over mocco the first time

Also, I'm blanking on the name right now, but that UC Davis kid who teched Ryan Lang in the finals after Lang was built up to be an unstoppable pinning machine.

Leen over Poeta somewhat fits.

Who was the first one to take out Schlatter... Gillespie? Or was it Churella?

Bryce Leonardt of Wyoming I think might fit this description. The year Jason Powell won the NCAA title, Leonhardt handed him one of his only losses. A few years later, Leonhardt knocked off Coleman Scott in the first round of the NCAA's. He himself never had many accomplishments, but he always seemed to be up for a big match.

Greg Gifford of Fresno State whipped returning National champion Jake Rosholt in a dual meet. The score was something ridiculous like 18-6 or something of the sort.

I'm not sure if these examples qualify for what you want or not. However if you want examples of returning NCAA champions getting beat by guys that "really shouldn't have beat them", I have more.

BIgRedMachine - Derek Moore is the UC Davis kid.

As far as who was the first to take out Schlatter? His only loss his freshman year was to Mark DiSalvo of Central Michigan. I think after that he next lost again in a dual meet his sophomore year to Mike Roberts of Boston.

Bubba over Taylor is the first that comes to my mind.

Palmer over metcalf at big 10's was pretty shocking too.

Konrad over mocco the first time

Also, I'm blanking on the name right now, but that UC Davis kid who teched Ryan Lang in the finals after Lang was built up to be an unstoppable pinning machine.

Leen over Poeta somewhat fits.

Who was the first one to take out Schlatter... Gillespie? Or was it Churella?

Derek Moore

As far as who was the first to take out Schlatter? His only loss his freshman year was to Mark DiSalvo of Central Michigan. I think after that he next lost again in a dual meet his sophomore year to Mike Roberts of Boston.

The Roberts match was his junior year I believe. I was referring to his sophomore year when he lost at NCAA's after going undefeated during the regular season(as far as I remember). I think it was Gillespie. There was a time when people thought the DiSalvo loss would be the only one he would ever suffer.

It has always fascinated me, those wrestlers that have that special something in them to beat those that were thought of as unbeatable. Time and again, these bouts are the most interesting to me, and give the most inspiration. The age old myth of david vs goliath.

I remember Schlater coming in as a true freshmen to take down the invincible Esposito.

Owings over Gable

Schultz over Banach

Caldwell over Metcalf

Retherford over Stieber

Dean over Ruth

who else had that special ability to take down the giant of their day. Which bouts have stood out in your mind as memorable?

If you don't do it in the NCAA finals against the returning over whelming champ then it is just a very nice win.

I will never forget the Schultz-Banach final. Tactics/strategy? What tactics/strategy? Two men went chest to chest/strength on strength for 7 minutes, and the last one standing was declared the winner.

I will never forget the Schultz-Banach final. Tactics/strategy? What tactics/strategy? Two men went chest to chest/strength on strength for 7 minutes, and the last one standing was declared the winner.

I just watched that one again. Banach looked massive, how the hell did he make 177? He looked at least a whole weight class bigger. Different weigh-in rules in '82 but still... Schultz must have a huge pair to try those two throws in the first period. Mark controlled that whole match, Banach only scored off slipped throws and a sloppy tilt attempt. 6 NC's and 2 Oly Golds out on that mat.

I just watched that one again. Banach looked massive, how the hell did he make 177? He looked at least a whole weight class bigger. Different weigh-in rules in '82 but still... Schultz must have a huge pair to try those two throws in the first period. Mark controlled that whole match, Banach only scored off slipped throws and a sloppy tilt attempt. 6 NC's and 2 Oly Golds out on that mat.

What's interesting is that they had wrestled twice before that year with Banach winning both, but the scores were close.

I saw the Midlands final that year in person, with Schultz losing 5-4 as I recall, and looking a little tentative, as you might expect from the man coming up in weight to challenge the reigning NC in the weight class.

I guess for the NCAA finals, he just said to himself, "Go for broke!" and he did. But like you said, it took some pair of huevos.

What's interesting is that they had wrestled twice before that year with Banach winning both, but the scores were close.

I saw the Midlands final that year in person, with Schultz losing 5-4 as I recall, and looking a little tentative, as you might expect from the man coming up in weight to challenge the reigning NC in the weight class.

I guess for the NCAA finals, he just said to himself, "Go for broke!" and he did. But like you said, it took some pair of huevos.

Schultz beat banach in their dual. They split and the NCAAs was the rubber.

Banach won the first, schultz won the 2nd in the dualvat Norman. I made surevI went to Ames to see the third match. I surrounded by a bunch of Iowa fans who said it's in Iowa, Banach will win. I told them that once MarK Schultz knew he could beat you, it was over. I thought Schultz had Banach pinned twice in the match.

After the match Banach yelled at Schultz what weight are you going next year. Mark said 77s, Banach said I'm going 90s. Stan Abel said he thought it was a good business decision by Banach who had trained as hard as he could and still lost. Lewboo says Banach had akready planned to go 190 the next year.

A buddy who was an alternate in 1984 said Gable had to keep the Schultz brothers from working out with the Banach brothers, because the Schultz brothers dominated them.

I was told by more than one person in the 1984 Olympic practices that was a regular occurrence. Rememberthis was freestyle not folk style, the Schultz brothers were much more skilled in freestyle than the Banach brothers. Remember Dave won a world title in freestyle and I think 4 other world freestyle medals, while Mark had tow world championships. The Banach's never medaled again in world level competition.