Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

The Pain of watching your Hero Lose

Was wondering if everyone is like this, but I don't watch those matches where my hero loses.

Like caldwell and metcalf ncaa finals. I dont watch that match ever.

Or Ramos over Oliver, I dont watch that match.

I love watching Dean over Ruth

Do penn state fans watch the Ruth Dean Match? Or Bubba Taylor? Or any of the Dake Taylor matches?

Iowa guys, you watch the Ramos Colon match. Or any of the Ramos Stieber matches?

Was wondering if everyone is like this, but I don't watch those matches where my hero loses.

Like caldwell and metcalf ncaa finals. I dont watch that match ever.

Or Ramos over Oliver, I dont watch that match.

I love watching Dean over Ruth

Do penn state fans watch the Ruth Dean Match? Or Bubba Taylor? Or any of the Dake Taylor matches?

Iowa guys, you watch the Ramos Colon match. Or any of the Ramos Stieber matches?

Is this serious or a parody? Public Service Message, watching a wrestling match should not hurt your psyche. :D

I used to get very emotional over sports results. I sat in stunned silence when Seattle beat my Yanks in their last at bat, when Gable lost, when Russia won that crazy ending against us, I remember the hurt I felt in my stomach when Ryun fell in the Olympics, when Seaver gave up that hit to the Cub with 1 out to go....

I always looked at sports one sided. My team, my guy, my school, my country. I never really thought about that other team, the other guy, that school, or that other nation. As long as we won I was elated, glad to be alive. Who cared about the losers as they didn't matter, I couldn't feel their pain. Hell, I wasn't even aware of their anguish, I was too busy feeling victorious.

All my favorite athletes, schools, and teams were mine. I supported each and every one of them like they were family. I gave of my emotions like it was my son out there shooting a game winning three in game 7, or a daughter winning gold in the downhill. Sadly, I was more proud of these strangers than my own family at times....

You see, all my heroes, my favorite teams, my favorite moments in sports are not mine at all. They don't belong to me nor do they even know I exist. They don't come to my home after "the moment". They go to their own homes, to their own families who share in their victories, in their heart breaks in a way I never can.....

I USED to be like that before I realized that the Pros go home to their pretty wives in their pretty mansions, win lose or draw, while I am left feeling pretty messed up. I used to be like that before I understood that after the star quarterback at my favorite college, after a tough loss in the conference championship game, would forget his sorrow after the game with his buds.....and friends :)

When fans feel worse after a loss than the athlete, when fans cant get over a certain result on the court years after the tennis star has, when fans forget who really won/lost the game....these are indications that we may, as fans, be taking this thing called sports a little too seriously.

Don't get me wrong. I still get excited over sports, still have my favorites, still get elated or depressed over results, but the difference is I realize now that I wasn't really part of the action. I'm an outsider looking in. I can walk home and maybe share my feelings with the people that really matter in my life :)

cya

I haven't watched Metcalf-Caldwell sine it happened, but I just watched the Metcalf-Schlatter Big 10 Final yesterday because I was bored. Similarly I've never watched highlights of the 2002 Giants-Niners playoff game since the day it happened, but I'll watch highlights from Super Bowls 42 or 46 every time they come on. It's just natural as a sports fan, I think. Why would I want to watch something that bummed me out?

I still haven't been able to watch Taylor versus Jenkins. I did not watch Taylor versus Dake until the NCAA finals and only because I watched it live. I have been watching Taylor since he was a kid and he was the best I have ever seen. So don't like seeing him lose.