Sign in to follow this  
mh1

Alton -F&M Open

Via PSU sports information twitter feed

Quick update from F&M Andrew Alton is very sick... so he won't compete but Dylan will... andrew made the trip but just can't wrestle..sry!

8:52am - 4 Jan 14

I only live around 45 minutes from F&M, and me and my one son were going to go watch today. Well I saw both registered last night on Trackwrestling, and then when I was looking at brackets this morning AA name was gone. I was so bummed, and I then saw someone posted on the one PSU forum he was really sick. I ended up not going then. I hope AA gets better real soon, and great job Dylan getting some wins in today.

Hey Chasden there are other wrestlers competing besides the Altons. If you chose not to go due to one wrestler not competing then well that just crappy on your part. You missed some excellent matches

Sorry. You are right. AA has been my favorite wrestler to watch while he was in HS and I was disappointed. I should have took my son anyway, I regret not going.

Anyone know the cutoff for getting to the NCAA minimum of 17 matches? Is it before or after the Big10 Championships? I ask this because Andrew Alton had the flu today and could not wrestle, so he has only 3 matches so far. Penn State has 9 duals left. He won't make 17 without going to at least one open tournament like the Shorty Hitchcock Invitational, but even then I don't think he can get to 17 prior to the Big 10 Championships, so he may actually need to go to two open events.

Dylan has 6 matches, so he too may need to go to one more open event to absolutely guarantee getting to the 17 number.

Anyone know the cutoff for getting to the NCAA minimum of 17 matches? Is it before or after the Big10 Championships? I ask this because Andrew Alton had the flu today and could not wrestle, so he has only 3 matches so far. Penn State has 9 duals left. He won't make 17 without going to at least one open tournament like the Shorty Hitchcock Invitational, but even then I don't think he can get to 17 prior to the Big 10 Championships, so he may actually need to go to two open events.

Dylan has 6 matches, so he too may need to go to one more open event to absolutely guarantee getting to the 17 number.

TBar, whenever the RPI for that particular point in time is run.

Don't they only need the 17 matches to qualify for the different levels to qualify the big 10 a spot at 149 and 157? So if the other guys in the conference met the criteria and qualified a certain number of spots, the Alton's would just have to place in those spots at big 10's right? I'm still a little uncertain of how the qualifying procedures work other than the criteria qualifies conferences X number of spots at a weight.

Don't they only need the 17 matches to qualify for the different levels to qualify the big 10 a spot at 149 and 157? So if the other guys in the conference met the criteria and qualified a certain number of spots, the Alton's would just have to place in those spots at big 10's right? I'm still a little uncertain of how the qualifying procedures work other than the criteria qualifies conferences X number of spots at a weight.

tec, the NCAA changed their criteria two years ago to allegedly make is harder to qualify, but I think they left some loopholes. If I interpret them correctly you can qualify with as few as 8 matches and wrestle in their conference championship, but you'd do so as either a league champion or at large bid. In any case, I think you need to meet 2 out of 3 of the qualifying standards listed below.

Standard 1

Wrestle 17 matches to qualify for an RPI AND be in the top 33 of the RPI. This is the one where I wasn't sure when the cutoff date was.

Standard 2

Top 33 coaches ranking in the ballot that comes out in late February

Standard 3

.700 winning percentage + 1 win over an automatic qualifier

NCAA rules are notoriously hard to get a grasp on because you read all kinds of articles or language that is often not well written or just plain confusing or contradictory. The way I read the rules it seems possible that a wrestler could get in as few as 8 matches, be in the top 33 of the coaches ranking, wrestle in the Big10 Championships and have beaten an automatic qualifier and they too would qualify.

This could be totally wrong, so take it with a grain of salt.

I almost think a medical red shirt may be the smart move for PSU to pursue with the Alton twins.

What is the rule for this? My understanding is that they have already red shirted, so they can't get a medical red shirt. There would be an outside shot of a successful petition for a medical hardship.

I almost think a medical red shirt may be the smart move for PSU to pursue with the Alton twins.

A medical redshirt is not available to them. This season is costing them a year of eligibility no matter what happens, so Penn State may as well try to get them in the lineup.

This season is costing them a year of eligibility no matter what happens, so Penn State may as well try to get them in the lineup.

Yeah. Hell with their health.

Huh. Where did this come from. They have been cleared by their doctor. Do you know something their doctor's don't know.

This season is costing them a year of eligibility no matter what happens, so Penn State may as well try to get them in the lineup.

Huh. Where did this come from. They have been cleared by their doctor. Do you know something their doctor's don't know.

Just as much as others

I thought a medical redshirt had nothing to do with a regular redshirt and that you could do both as long as medically you were unable to perform. I believe that's what Nickerson did with his shoulder. Now, I guess with the Alton's if they have been medically ok'd to wrestle, they wouldn't get one but if they weren't cleared by their doctor, I believe they could get one.

I thought a medical redshirt had nothing to do with a regular redshirt and that you could do both as long as medically you were unable to perform. I believe that's what Nickerson did with his shoulder.

Nickerson did not do both - he started as a true freshman in 2006, and missed only the 2008 season. He needed to apply for a medical hardship year under University / Ivy rules, but for NCAA eligibility the 2008 season was in effect a redshirt year.

I thought a medical redshirt had nothing to do with a regular redshirt and that you could do both as long as medically you were unable to perform. I believe that's what Nickerson did with his shoulder. Now, I guess with the Alton's if they have been medically ok'd to wrestle, they wouldn't get one but if they weren't cleared by their doctor, I believe they could get one.

Pennsyrules-a true "medical redshirt" is when you are granted a 6th year of eligibility. In order to get this you need to miss two years of competition due to injury. The Altons do not qualify.

Just as much as others

FiveWords is not happy now.