Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The wrestler as quarterback

Gabe Dean was a star high school football player-- at quarterback!

http://www.michigangrappler.com/news_ar ... id=1024194

We all know plenty of wrestlers who played football, too. But mostly they were linemen, linebackers, maybe some running backs.

Does anyone know any wrestlers who also played quarterback?

Or any wrestlers who excelled at other "skill" sports like baseball or hockey?

I was...not that I was any big name. Started in 1-AA football as a QB back in 80's, then attempted to get on the mat after my senior year was over and got a rude awakening to D1 wrestling. Won state title as a senior in HS , wrestled in all star match and then pretty much walked away from the sport. It never left me though!

Perry Hills from Pittsburgh Central Catholic is now the QB at Maryland and was the State Campion at 197 his senior year. I think most kids who play QB are good at any sport they play....many are the shortstop/pitcher on the baseball team as well and if they don't wrestle are often a guard on the basketball team.

lol...just saw I didn't get this post in in time!

Perry Hills from Pittsburgh Central Catholic is now the QB at Maryland and was the State Campion at 197 his senior year. I think most kids who play QB are good at any sport they play....many are the shortstop/pitcher on the baseball team as well and if they don't wrestle are often a guard on the basketball team.

lol...just saw I didn't get this post in in time!

BDB50, back in the day...I was also the shortstop. Very rare to find 3 sport kids these days with the specialization that coaches/parents encourage.

Jim Everett, QB, New Orleans Saints

Brett Butler (baseball), Pat Day (horse racing), Kevin Harvick (NASCAR), Larry Holmes (boxing), Glenn Hubbard (baseball), Jeremy Rose (horse racing), Bill Shoemaker (horse racing), Spud Webb (basketball)

Mark Lenzi (Diving), Sugar Ray Leonard (Boxing), Jason Morris (Judo), Jimmy Pedro (Judo), Brian Shimer (Bobsled), Jim Thorpe (Early 20th century decathlete)

Philadelphia Phillies catcher Darren Daulton

Brian & Marcus Giles both wrestled in high school

Yankees reliever Phil Coke

Rockies reliever Joe Beimel

Blue Jays pitcher Shaun Marcum

Twins player Michael Cuddyer

Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo wrestled for one year

Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain told ESPN radio he wrestled for a year.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire

Jim Everett, QB, New Orleans Saints

Brett Butler (baseball), Pat Day (horse racing), Kevin Harvick (NASCAR), Larry Holmes (boxing), Glenn Hubbard (baseball), Jeremy Rose (horse racing), Bill Shoemaker (horse racing), Spud Webb (basketball)

Mark Lenzi (Diving), Sugar Ray Leonard (Boxing), Jason Morris (Judo), Jimmy Pedro (Judo), Brian Shimer (Bobsled), Jim Thorpe (Early 20th century decathlete)

Philadelphia Phillies catcher Darren Daulton

Brian & Marcus Giles both wrestled in high school

Yankees reliever Phil Coke

Rockies reliever Joe Beimel

Blue Jays pitcher Shaun Marcum

Twins player Michael Cuddyer

Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo wrestled for one year

Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain told ESPN radio he wrestled for a year.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire

Bill Shoemaker was a quarterback?

mUyImtv6xLjibAqs3IWPwZA.jpg

Rod Kilgore 4-time AA 2-time champ at OU was the all state quarterback in Oklahoma his senior year. He was a 3-time state champ in wrestling and a all state shortstop. He came to OU on a one half wrestling/one half baseball scholarship, because he wouldn't sign a full wrestling scholarship. Stan Abel asked Enos Semore the OU head baseball coach if he'd take him if Stan signed him. The deal was if Rod made the lineup at shortstop in fall practice he wouldn't have to come out for wrestling. He didn't so he came out for wrestling taking 3rd as a pure freshman losing to Wade Schalles in the semis. Later in the tournament Wade came over and told me Rod would win the title the next year he was right.

After his sophomore year he walked on to the football team that had gone 10-0-1 tying USC in the 2nd game of the season. Leon Cross the recruiting coordinator for OU football told me that had Rod came out as a freshman, he probably would have beaten out Steve Davis who in 3 years had one tie and one loss as starting quarterback with two national championships. OU ran the wishbone in those days.

The three best athletes I saw at OU were Rod Kilgore, Lee Roy Selmon, and Shawn Garel. The minor sports athletes would frequently play touch football games on Owen Field on Sundays. It was astoturf in those days. If Garel,had been 170 instead of 118 he'd have made an excellent kick returner.

Eric Wilhelm, former OrSU QB who was in the NFL '89-'97 was a two time state placer.

(And, probably unknown to the FB coaches at the time, he wrestled in the intermurals the same school year he was injured in the early FB season and had knee work done ending that FB season for him.)

3 time CA State finalist (1 time champion) Jason Verduzco:

"In 1988, the Panthers were the California state champion team, a first for Antioch High. The team’s shining star was Jason Verduzco, only the second wrestler in Antioch High history to be an individual California state champion, grappling in the 165-pound class in his senior year. The ASICS America Corp. named Jason to its ASICS Tiger All-America first team roster in 1988, effectively crowning him the best high school wrestler in the United States for his weight class; the only wrestler on the team from the entire West Coast. Amateur Wrestling News magazine also placed him on its High School All-America Dream Team. Jason’s 41-1 record put him in a class by himself. His only loss occurred during a dual meet in which he was disqualified for a slam. His career record over four years of varsity prep wrestling competition was 160-12. Jason was crowned the Antioch High Male Athlete of the Year, Diablo Valley Athletic League champion, Outstanding DVAL Wrestler, North Coast Section champion, and Oakland Tribune Athlete of the Year in 1988. Jason began Amateur Athletic Union wrestling competitions at age seven and continued for more than a decade. As a sophomore and junior at Antioch High School, he won the DVAL and North Coast titles, then placed second both years at the California Interscholastic Federation State Championships; wrestling at 145 pounds in 1986 and at 154 pounds in 1987. He was first place winner of the 132-pound class as a freshman in 1985 at De La Salle High, which he attended for one year. His aggressive style was obvious in his first year in high school. He told a local sportswriter, “I take ‘em down, let ‘em up… and take down. I’ll keep it up …it gets tiring for me, but it pays off.” Jason is one of the select few athletes with the skills to achieve nationwide recognition in two different sports. When not grappling, Jason was tossing footballs as the Panther quarterback, throwing for a three-year varsity record of 4,107 yards on 300 completions and 29 touchdowns. He starred for the University of Illinois playing on a football scholarship. The three-year starter was named by the school as one of the Top 10 signal-callers in the college’s history. He ranks third on the all-time Fighting Illini list for passing yardage with 7,532 yards and 42 touchdowns and was chosen as an Honorable Mention 1992 All-America quarterback. He led the Illini into three bowl appearances and was two-time team MVP. Jason went on to play one season with the British Columbia Lions in the Canadian Football League and spent six years combined as an assistant coach with the Washington Redskins and with the Kansas City Chiefs under Head Coach Dick Vermeil."