Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

AWN is going to have a heck of a time picking

The 2013-2014 Freshman of the year.

As always, a lot of surprises thus far this season. I'd say one of them would most certainly be how incredibly talented and tough the current roster of freshmen is. It seems that one or two freshmen every year or at least every other year come forth and make a statement as a potential NCAA champion for that year, but I can't recall it ever being as declarative as it is this year.

At the current time I have to give the nod to Michigan HWT Adam Coon. At 20-0 with wins over Gwiazdowski, Felix, Myers and Telford he has more than made a name for himself. While a healthy McMullan could prove to be a problem, I see Nelson being his one true challenge left. Victory(ies) over Nelson I believe would most likely solidify his freshman of the year honors and even a loss to him doesn't necessarily write him off.

Next on the list is a toss up between Iowa's 125 Thomas Gilman and Cornell's 184 Gabe Dean. Whoever takes the #2 spot, is only a nose hair above #3. Dean does have two losses thus far this year (Sheptock and Ruth), but his win over Ed Ruth trumps both of those in the minds of most. Gilman on the other hand has losses to teammate Clark and Megaludis, and I'm not sure if his current win over Delgado ooh's and ah's the masses as much as Dean's win over Ruth.

Coon, Dean and Gilman as far as I'm concerned are the forerunners thus far for the season. However, there is still a lot of the season remaining. Any of these three have too many losses between now and then it opens up the door for other freshmen.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing really keeping Brian Realbuto off this list is his loss to Anthony Perrotti of Rutgers.

Jason Tsirtsis seemed to be going strong but his loss to Grothus hurts him in the running quite a bit.

Thoughts?

There's this guy out of Penn State who's had a decent season so far as a true freshman wrestling 141 lbs...

Yes… JT1 i’m surprised you didn’t even mention this one!

He had as big a win as Gabe Dean, a bigger win than Gilman, and unlike any of the other possible candidates he is undefeated! Coon is undefeated and extremely impressive as well but he has not taken out a Ruth or Steiber type along the way.

There's this guy out of Penn State who's had a decent season so far as a true freshman wrestling 141 lbs...

The list is even larger than I thought!

Zain Retherford 141 for the Penn State Nittanylions most certainly gives Coon a run for his money in top honors. Currently undefeated, with a win over Logan Steiber, I'd even say he ranks above him.

Yeah, we may wish to include ZAIN RETHERFORD. He is the only freshman to have knocked off the King in his class while also remaining undefeated. If Adam Coon can match this feat that would be awesome.

Gilman and Dean are 3rd and 4th in no particular order.

Yeah, we may wish to include ZAIN RETHERFORD. He is the only freshman to have knocked off the King in his class while also remaining undefeated. If Adam Coon can match this feat that would be awesome.

Gilman and Dean are 3rd and 4th in no particular order.

Look up

Honestly, honest mistake. Although, I'm sure I'll be labeled "Anti-PSU" by some because of it.

1. Retherford

2. Coon

3/4. Dean and Gilman

5. Realbuto

6. Tsirtsis

At the time being, although as already pointed out the NCAA's are the end all decider.

Preceptor - Good point. As strangely as 197 has played out thus far this year, he could end up an NCAA champion. If you would have told me that Meeks would be ranked #14 by this time this year, (D1collegewrestling.net) I'd have called you a liar.

I also want to give a shout out to one of my favorite freshmen Max Schneider of Cal Poly, who despite having a thus far pretty impressive season is being overshadowed and overlooked because of the other phenomenal freshmen.

Ranking the seasons so far id say.

1. Retherford

2. Coon

3. Dean

4. Gillman

5. Cox

6. Tsirtsis

That said, I think Cox has the best shot to win a national title. What's even more impressive to me is that Retherford, Coon, and Cox are true freshman.

It is amazing to me how good these "kids" are coming out of high school. I wrestled division one and thought I was tough coming out of high school and I got my but kicked for the first semester.

1. Retherford

2. Coon

3. Dean

4. Gillman

5. Cox

6. Tsirtsis

That said, I think Cox has the best shot to win a national title. What's even more impressive to me is that Retherford, Coon, and Cox are true freshman.

It is amazing to me how good these "kids" are coming out of high school. I wrestled division one and thought I was tough coming out of high school and I got my but kicked for the first semester.

I agree with all of what you wrote. I like your order insofar as ranking them based on current achievements. If I had to rank them by their chances for each to win a national title I'd rank them like this:

1. Cox

2. Retherford

3. Coon

4. Dean

5. T Shirts

6. Gilman

I favor Cox slightly over Zain because I think his hurdle to beat Gadsen and Schiller is lower than Zain's to beat the field + Steiber.

1. Retherford

2. Coon

3. Dean

4. Gillman

5. Cox

6. Tsirtsis

I agree with all of what you wrote. I like your order insofar as ranking them based on current achievements. If I had to rank them by their chances for each to win a national title I'd rank them like this:

1. Cox

2. Retherford

3. Coon

4. Dean

5. T Shirts

6. Gilman

I favor Cox slightly over Zain because I think his hurdle to beat Gadsen and Schiller is lower than Zain's to beat the field + Steiber.

I will certainly disagree on your Schiller comment! Zain already has a win over Logan and 141 is not one of the strongest weight classes. 197 has proven to be a tough weight...ask Taylor Meeks!

1. Retherford

2. Coon

3. Dean

4. Gillman

5. Cox

6. Tsirtsis

1. Cox

2. Retherford

3. Coon

4. Dean

5. T Shirts

6. Gilman

I will certainly disagree on your Schiller comment! Zain already has a win over Logan and 141 is not one of the strongest weight classes. 197 has proven to be a tough weight...ask Taylor Meeks!

I would be willing to bet significant money that Retherford does not beat Stieber again. Not taking anything away from his win, but I think Logan underestimated him, and that won't happen a second time. Especially not in March.

As much as I would like for J'Den to be in this discussion (and he will be if he win's a national title), I think freshman of the year comes down to Coon and Retherford and how they place in March, unless they lose before conference and nationals. Sure Dean can be in the discussion too, but he's lost to more than just Ruth...I only see Coon losing to Nelson and Retherford losing to Stieber, if they lose at all.