Sign in to follow this  
LtWtLooker

is scholly cash figured at Instate or out

Another question along the same lines...if a kid has a full scholarship, is that a 4 year proposition or can it be reduced if he doesn't pan out?

Actually, by NCAA, it was always a one year deal. As of this year, it can now be awarded for up to 4 (or 5).

As to reduction, it can be reduced if kid becomes ineligible (and some other conditions) but not due to his performance. or due to injury unless that causes him to withdraw from the sport.

What I've never been able to understand is: There are 10 weight classes, hence 10 guys as starters. How or Who thought up the 9.9 numbers?? Wouldn't 10 be the logical number? icon_eek.gif

Furthermore, why hasn't it been raised to like 12 or so?? Yes, not all schools can afford 9.9 much less then 12 ... yet, it seems to restrict the sport. More and more of the teams are becoming "fully funded".

When we see Football and Basketball with way more scholly's then starters, it's a bit frustrating. YES .. they make money etc .. etc ... Yet it would be nice to see some movement in the future to grant wrestling just a bit more leeway with regards to scholarships.

As a side note: Get the smart wrestlers that can then apply for Academic $$ ... That helps a lot.

Gimp thank you. obviously there was a bunch of interest in this topic. I would like to correct in one area but defer to you on confirmation. If a wrestler earns an academic scholarship or one for other than the sport he is involved, such as citizenship or charitable groups( Lions NAACP etc.) these have nothing to do with 9.9 accounting. I'm curious how this is dealt with when "booster" groups are involved.

Gimp thank you. obviously there was a bunch of interest in this topic. I would like to correct in one area but defer to you on confirmation. If a wrestler earns an academic scholarship or one for other than the sport he is involved, such as citizenship or charitable groups( Lions NAACP etc.) these have nothing to do with 9.9 accounting. I'm curious how this is dealt with when "booster" groups are involved.

I'll check more when I get back home. If truly academic- then it doesn't count. Think that citizenship might be the same assuming no athletic involvement.