Sign in to follow this  
Abovetheline1

2014 College Coaching

So as the new year rolls around lets start the topic of what it truly means to be a college coach or assistant coach in 2014. As I sit back and evaluate coaching from a business perspective I have to ask what it truly takes to be a good coach. Is someone who has past accomplishments as a wrestler a great coach, is someone who is has the technique a great coach, is someone who is organized a great coach, is the best recruiter the best coach. A coach should be a great leader not just a great manager. Leaders know how to adapt and communicate with their team no matter how frustrated they are or what situation they are in. Of course these leaders have to have the skill set to each and understand wrestling.

As you sit back and evaluate the new assistants and current coaches from this year and last year at Midlands, NCAA, Southern Sc. PAC / Big Ten and others you have to ask what it takes to be a leader. How many coaches/assistants did you see sit back in disgust, fold their arms, cross their legs in disgust. Now I know all coaches do this at times, but true leaders recover from this and coach, teach, lead and support their team. How many of these newer younger coaches or older status quo coaches let their egos get in the way.

Why is PSU, Oklahoma and Northwestern where they are today. Just sit back and watch Cael and his staff ( they are on TV the most) they are engaged and passionate coaching all of the way thru. They may get frustrated but they shake it off and are right back at it coaching and supporting, look at what Cody has done, he and his staff are always up coaching supporting his wrestlers. That is why they had a great recruiting class. Look at what is taking place an Northwestern, these coaches were all over the place coaching their wrestlers at Midlands and on Big Ten. Wrestlers won they supported, wrestler lost they supported, that is why they had such a great recruiting class. They are up and supporting and coaching. Now there are many more out there who are true leaders and many who care more about their egos.

So the question has to be asked, in today's world do HS Coaches and parents watch to see how coaches coach and act all of the time, practice, warm-ups, matches, and their wrestlers struggles. Society has changed (not saying right or wrong) so the leaders of businesses have to change. Why can Gus lead Auburn to a national championship game, when he was coaching HS a short time a go. Because he could relate to his boys and understand their different personality, did you see him address players as they came off of the field. He was different for each, kind of like Cael but he was passionate and you could tell he did not care what others were thinking of him.

Great post! Young guns like PSU,Northwestern,Ohio State, Okey State,,Northern Iowa, and Cornell are really the place to be for top young talent! I watched both of Colon's throws last week at Midlands and Schwab was right in his corner. I remember Scott Schatzman, three time AA for Northwestern almost had Schwab beat at Big Tens or Nationals one year. Still, there a lot of dynamic young coaches out there and the kids know it! I think Michigan State needs to hire one of those assistants ASAP!

I agree I should not have omitted UNI, the Schwab boys live and die with their boys. I was amazing watching them show their buy in and heart for every wrestler at Midlands. It seemed like other young coaches their wanted their names mentioned, where as Schwab was all into it with his boys.

Did you see the Iowa wrestler who lost in ot, to a kid he should have got pinned by. His coach yelled at him and check bumped him on his way out, some of the Iowa fans just sat with their mouths open

Midlands opened my eyes, sitting their pulling for my unattached guys and I hear parents talking to their kid about a assistant sitting there with arms crossed and legs crossed. His wrestler looses and he looks at him and walks away the mom say, I do not care how many Midlands, Big Tens, or Nationals he won I will never let you wrestle for him. It's not about you, it's about him. The dad started challenging about all this coach did wrestling and what he accomplished. The mom states what has he done as a coach other than look like a stuck up a--hole. She says our kid will never wrestle for him. About an hour later people from another school are talking to the family about the same thing. Wow,

If you see bad behavior, then speak up. We shouldn't put up with coaches that mistreat their guys. However, I suspect that some fans will use forums as way to trash the reputation of a coach or program just because they harbor a grudge against a team, or don't like a coach's style. I've seen most of the coaches mentioned above and I prefer some to others, but I haven't personally witnessed a lack of support for any of their wrestlers.

For the record, Smokey, the head coach at Oklahoma State is not a "young gun," but seasoned veteran who does a great job year after year. I would like to add Nebraska to the list as a place where the coaches give great support to their guys. As for Northwestern and Ohio State, those coaches have yet to prove that they can develop contending teams, but do recruit good talent. It's not about youth, but ability. Right now, I'd say that Cornell, Nebraska, and Missouri are places where talent is really developed.

So if we really want caring coaches that know the kids and give each of them what they need, then we need to quit hiring great wrestlers as coaches and start hiring great coaches as coaches. If you hire a coach who was a good wrestler he knows only that. If you hire someone who has been through the system and maybe even coached at HS, they know what it takes to coach kids. Not saying a good wrestler can't be a good coach obviously, but when hiring, get a coach first, you can always have great wrestlers for assistants.

"HS coaches coach kids, college coaches coach wrestling"

Interesting thread and posts for me.

My college coach was previously a high school coach who had two high school wrestlers who later won the the Olympics.

He said when he became a college coach he had to be "1 / 2 psychologist and 1 / 2 son of a bitch" (pardon my French).

Gable, who may be the greatest college coach, just took on the best attributes of his high school coach IMO.

Frankly, I haven't seen or known that many college coaches who really really care about their kids -- at least not anything like high school coaches do. I'm not sure why that is as I think if they / coaches did really care more about the kids -- and less about how well they wrestle -- the kids would wrestle a lot better for the coach, for the team -- and for themselves.

Best -

DA

I had the pleasure of wrestling for great coaches while at Binghamton Tony Robie (V tech), Nate Yetzer (Ferrum College) Dennis Papadatos (UNC). Don't get me wrong they were tough and would all be the first to let you know when you weren't doing what was expected of you, but at the end of the day you knew they really cared and wanted the best for you. All three of those guys would come in during their free time when asked to workout one on one with anyone on the team from the top recruited talent to the first year walk. I would have ran through walls for those guys if they asked me to.

I was far from a great wrestler, probably never should have went to a D1 program. Needless to say I had an awful freshman year and was really down on myself. I was in the room every day, coming in for extra work outs and I was getting better but I couldn't see that because I was just so far behind my competition I wasn't seeing any changes in the win loss column. I was down and ready to quit, but I'll never forget my high school coach calling me one day and telling me that he ran into Coach Robie at a tournament. My high school coach told me he asked how I was doing. I was ready for the worst, I was 0 and something and I was fairly certain the coaches didn't even know I was there most of the time. But I was wrong, I don't remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of "hey he hasnt been wrestling the longest, he isnt the most physically gifted but he comes in a gives it his all every time he steps on the mat. he goes out there and fights for everything." It may seem stupid but that recognition still gives me a great sense of pride, and because of that I didn't give up on myself. When he told me the reason I wasn't having the success I wanted wasn't because I didn't have the technique but rather i wasnt strong or fast enough I basically moved into the weight room. I certified my freshman year at 125lbs, by the end of my junior year I was up to 190 running a 5:50 mile before every lift as a warm up. That is the motivation you get from a good coach.

But unfortunately, college wrestling is a business and understandably from a coaches perspective a lot of times it has to be what can this student athlete do for me, instead of the other way around. I've seen coaches brag about how they got kids they didn't like to quit. At the D1 college level from many head coaches eyes it's not about helping a student athlete become the best athlete and person they can be, but rather getting W's.

Wow -- love that quote!

DA

Yeah I have that quote on a shirt from one of the teaching organizations I was involved in while in college. They had the quote worded differently though.

"Kids don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

I looked the quote up on the internet -- it was attributed to Theodore Roosevelt.

(I odn't think the internet can lie, can it?)

DA

I like all three versions, they carry the same meaning. The wise man was one of my high school volunteer coaches and a friend today. He is the definition of a coach who cares about the wrestlers as PEOPLE, not just as wrestlers. He has shared may quotes with me over the years......

If you really like these quotes, look up a book called "The Edge" it is all quotes, put together by two wrestlers so it leans that way, and you can find a quote for any thing you would like. When I was coaching it was my bible.

If you really like these quotes, look up a book called "The Edge" it is all quotes, put together by two wrestlers so it leans that way, and you can find a quote for any thing you would like. When I was coaching it was my bible.

Will do!

If you see bad behavior, then speak up. We shouldn't put up with coaches that mistreat their guys. However, I suspect that some fans will use forums as way to trash the reputation of a coach or program just because they harbor a grudge against a team, or don't like a coach's style. I've seen most of the coaches mentioned above and I prefer some to others, but I haven't personally witnessed a lack of support for any of their wrestlers.

For the record, Smokey, the head coach at Oklahoma State is not a "young gun," but seasoned veteran who does a great job year after year. I would like to add Nebraska to the list as a place where the coaches give great support to their guys. As for Northwestern and Ohio State, those coaches have yet to prove that they can develop contending teams, but do recruit good talent. It's not about youth, but ability. Right now, I'd say that Cornell, Nebraska, and Missouri are places where talent is really developed.

Grapple fan, Okey State has tons of talent in the room from grads. Also,Ohio State and Northwestern are Regional Training Centers and on the up and up. Guys like Humphrys, Herbert,Precin, Welch are on staff/ or recent members. Northwestern will have over 15-16 top twenty kids next year on their roster when they bring in Micic,Brill,and Sebastian on staff. In the last few years,Precin,Welch, McMullan,Trirtsis,Fox,Lang,Herbert,have all been ranked number one or two.

Maybe this is why our sport is dying. I ask a question about assistant coaches and we get all the one off comments such as msu. Someone made a great comment, the coaches don't cae about the wrestlers it is a business. This type of leadership went by the wayside ten plus years a go. The question has to be asked, I do not care how many Midlands you won, how many Big Tens you won, how many PAC you won or how many times you placed at NCAA. Can you take what you know and relate it to today's youth, yeah, yeah I know tell them to suck it up.

Right wrong or indifferent that's where we are today. I can name about twelve off of the top of my head who shut down or look like they do while coaching kids.

Grapple fan, Okey State has tons of talent in the room from grads. Also,Ohio State and Northwestern are Regional Training Centers and on the up and up. Guys like Humphrys, Herbert,Precin, Welch are on staff/ or recent members. Northwestern will have over 15-16 top twenty kids next year on their roster when they bring in Micic,Brill,and Sebastian on staff. In the last few years,Precin,Welch, McMullan,Trirtsis,Fox,Lang,Herbert,have all been ranked number one or two.

First they prove it, and then we'll know. Until then, this is wishful thinking. Those wrestlers you mentioned have been very good, and they are some of the individuals I was talking about.

Maybe this is why our sport is dying. I ask a question about assistant coaches and we get all the one off comments such as msu. Someone made a great comment, the coaches don't cae about the wrestlers it is a business. This type of leadership went by the wayside ten plus years a go. The question has to be asked, I do not care how many Midlands you won, how many Big Tens you won, how many PAC you won or how many times you placed at NCAA. Can you take what you know and relate it to today's youth, yeah, yeah I know tell them to suck it up.

Right wrong or indifferent that's where we are today. I can name about twelve off of the top of my head who shut down or look like they do while coaching kids.

Let's say you are head coach of Western Tech State U. Your top assistant decided to go into financial planning so you are in need of an assistant coach. You have a promising class of recruits in the middle weights. Further, you'd like to bring in some fresh blood and ideas to your program, so you want to hire the assistant from outside of your circle.

Describe your hiring process.

we're still talking about college sports coaches right? not foster parents?

Yep, we are talking about college sports which are a business not foster parents. Do you think some of these ego driven actions would succeed in the business environment. We heard from many that this is about them keeping their jobs and it is a business. Not sure if you are a business man, manger, foreman or leader ( based on your comments I could guess), but if you were a leader of the business what would you hire.

Ok, Plasmodium.

I would have to understand my weakness and insure I hire someone that's strong point improves my weakness. As I think about it I guess it comes down to what talent you have in your club, extra coaches in regards to technique.

But as a leader, I would hope to hire someone who's thought process and actions challenge mine. Having another' hard ass or big ego does not help the team.