Sign in to follow this  
BigRedMachine

Favorite victory celebration

The one victory celebration that always sticks in my head is Jagger's when he beat Mendes for the first time. It was after he had just broken his ankle during a scramble (At least I think it broke).

He staved off a few takedown attempts as time ran out and began walking back to the center. Suddenly he just collapsed to the ground and put his head in his hands. It was as if the significance of the moment didn't hit him until that second. It was all the more epic given his broken ankle and the fact that he had suffered quite a few early season losses and adversity that year.

What are your favorite post match celebrations?

I liked Teyon Ware's backflips. We got a little gymnastics show after a wrestling match.

Honorable mention goes to Bubba Jenkins shooting his ankle bands with an "air rifle", which I thought was original.

I think Teyon got the backflip celebration from Mark Schultz. I guess it's Oklahoma tradition! I wonder if Maple can do a backflip?

Bubba's celebration was very interesting. I've never seen that before.

Man, Jaggers had a bone chilling scream in that match when Mendes cranked his ankle. That's what I remember.

Favorite celebration, off hand, is the total non celebration that Mavlet Batirov had when he beat Abas at the Olympics. Young guy, just won the biggest tournament of his life over a guy he's lost to before, and the look on his face says something like "can I go have a nap now"? Looked like his coach was trying to get him to smile.

'

My other favorite one (not quite so stoic) is Gia Sissouri at the world championship in 2001 launching his opponent in OT with a huge throw, jumping to his feet and into his coaches arms. That was a long time coming for Gia.

Not college matches... sorry.

I think Teyon got the backflip celebration from Mark Schultz. I guess it's Oklahoma tradition! I wonder if Maple can do a backflip?

No, Ware took it to a whole other level. He did multiple backflips in a row like gymnasts do on their floor routines.

Bob Stoops saw Teyon Ware wrestle (and I think one of his celebrations) and was stunned at Ware's athleticism.

Bob Stoops saw Teyon Ware wrestle (and I think one of his celebrations) and was stunned at Ware's athleticism.

He wasn't the only one. It made ESPN highlights. Not wrestling highlights, but the top 10 countdown for all sports. This was when wrestling got a fraction of the TV coverage we get now. They only showed the celebration and none of the wrestling, unfortunately.

Anthony Robles sitting on his one leg and pointing to the sky. Why you ask? Because you will never see that again, a one legged wrestler win a Div 1 national title. The athletic champs with their back flips will come and go. A kid born with one leg learns to beat his peers with two legs = never again. He's the perfect example of what wrestling stands for.

I immediately thought of Jaggers first title when I saw this thread. The crying ones always get to me. Since Jagger's is already taken I will go with Teague Moore winning his NCAA title. That celebration is years and years of hard work finally paying off and too much to contain after getting a pin in the finals. Epic!

I liked Teyon Ware's backflips. We got a little gymnastics show after a wrestling match.

Honorable mention goes to Bubba Jenkins shooting his ankle bands with an "air rifle", which I thought was original.

Bubba's celebration was very interesting. I've never seen that before.

Maple can do a 2 1/2 from the tuck position.

There have been a lot of memorable ones in my opinion.

My favorite is when Jesse Whitmer of Iowa won his title in 1997. After he won, time seemed to almost freeze as he pointed a thank you towards Dan Gable, the man who never let him give up on himself and Gable pointed right back at him. It was a very magical moment, almost surreal. One of my favorite memories as a wrestling fan.

I'll also never forget Jeff Ratliff's reaction to making All American in 2004. He was down against Mike Maney of Lock Haven and Maney was on top. As they rolled around the mat, Maney found himself in a poor position and Ratliff ended up getting a defensive fall. Confused and unaware of exactly what happened, Ratliff got up off the mat with a deer in the headlights look on his face. Once he discovered that he had won the match, he looked like one of those women on "the price is right" after she won a trip to Bermuda.

At the 2003 NCAA tournament, I got a kick out of both Marcio Botelho of Fresno State and John Testa of Clarion when they won in the R12 to become All Americans. It was like watching a three year old meet Mickey Mouse for the first time. Please don't think I'm patronizing either one of them, because if I were in their position and I were to have made All American I'd have probably looked like a 3 year old at Disneyland too.

While I was rooting for the other guy, and would to this day like to see a rematch, I enjoyed watching Phil Davis's reaction in 2005, in earning his first All American honor. After he won, he hugged the referee. I got a kick out of that.

I think it's disappointing to see someone celebrate an all American finish that's not first place. It seems "inappropriate" to me.

No matter what? How about a guy that lost first round and came back to take 3rd place?

This first or nothing mentality, in my opinion, is severely detrimental to our sport.

I think Teyon may have got the idea from Mark Schultz. Mark would do a standing backflip after he won each of his NCAA, Olympic, and World Titles. Both are Sooners. Rod Kilgore would gently pat his opponents on their head after he beat them.

Caldwell's was the all time classic with Metcalf trying to catch him and knock him off the mat with the clock still running.

No matter what? How about a guy that lost first round and came back to take 3rd place?

I don't see placing 3rd after a first round loss as being much different than placing 3rd after a loss in the semis. Do you think placing 3rd after a first round loss is more worthy of celebration?

This first or nothing mentality, in my opinion, is severely detrimental to our sport.

I believe that, in many cases, celebrating a non first place finish devalues the significance of the championship.

I don't see placing 3rd after a first round loss as being much different than placing 3rd after a loss in the semis. Do you think placing 3rd after a first round loss is more worthy of celebration?

I believe that, in many cases, celebrating a non first place finish devalues the significance of the championship.

I don't know if it is more worthy of celebration or not. I think it is most certainly a greater testimony to intestinal fortitude, but more worthy of celebration is totally subjective.

I see your point, but it seems to me that such a mentality also ignores just how incredibly difficult and tough current collegiate wrestling is. One of the reasons people go out for sports is because of the glory that surrounds them. If we only celebrate and allow celebration for 1st place, and not allow those to take in the victory of anything lower than the best, I feel it discourages kids from being a part of wrestling. I understand and to an extent I appreciate the "2nd place sucks" mentality, because it encourages kids to train like champions and give it 100%. However, another part of me absolutely loathes the "2nd place sucks" mentality because I've seen too many kids give it 100% and then beat the hell out of themselves for taking 2nd or 3rd or whatever. We put so much emphasis on 1st place and going undefeated. Great goals to have, but they're not the only accomplishments in this sport. Seeing a kid smile because he came back to AA after a tough loss through the consolations doesn't hurt me any.

Absolutely spot on. So is the attitude that the NCAA tournament is the only thing that matters.

Also, with wrestlers tending toward near absolute stoicism, good victory celebrations are few and far between. The two that come to my mind are Darrion Caldwell and Bubba J.

Absolutely spot on. So is the attitude that the NCAA tournament is the only thing that matters.

Couldn't agree more. I think that's a major issue for why we have seen increased growth for the NCAA DI tournament, but why we are still struggling in dual meet attendance as well as other tournament attendance. Maybe I'm wrong but if the mentality of the coaches and the wrestlers themselves is, "this is just practice" I think that transitions over to their fan base as well.

I think it's disappointing to see someone celebrate an all American finish that's not first place. It seems "inappropriate" to me.

Only 30 NCAA Division 1 wrestlers a year can achieve a 3rd place or better at the tourney. I think that is worth celebrating. Especially of you were a non seeded wrestler.