Sign in to follow this  
BigRedMachine

Favorite victory celebration

After winning state.

Sorry boys, all the booing in the world can't make me get back up again. Lay down...lay down. Gonna stretch me out for first place and my hun' and ninth win. Always knew I'd make it there, but a lot later than a whole gang of people thought. Last of the Antiheroicans...well maybe not the last. Gonna be a good win...new improved end to my career. Hope dad wires me the money to get out. No room in this sport for guys like me. Sorry baby, I tried the best I could...honest. Can't come with me on this trip, coach. Getting the shakes now. Last call for drinks. The boos closing down on me. Medics wheeling me out. Where we going? Don't wanna go far. Rough match. Tired baby. Tired.

I think it's disappointing to see someone celebrate an all American finish that's not first place. It seems "inappropriate" to me.

In my opinion you truly don't understand all that it takes to even participate, let alone AA, in the sport of wrestling.

There is nothing inappropriate in celebrating AA status. If you 're talking about Logan Steiber, David Taylor, or Ed Ruth I get it; otherwise, AA'ing is a big deal.

No matter what? How about a guy that lost first round and came back to take 3rd place?

I don't see placing 3rd after a first round loss as being much different than placing 3rd after a loss in the semis. Do you think placing 3rd after a first round loss is more worthy of celebration?

This first or nothing mentality, in my opinion, is severely detrimental to our sport.

I believe that, in many cases, celebrating a non first place finish devalues the significance of the championship.

I have no issues with guys celebrating bronze medals (or AA placings, or whatever). These are career highlights for many wrestlers. I do find it really annoying when a non-champion holds up the "I'm number 1" finger. Um, no, you aren't.

I'd argue that in a seeded tournament, it would be better to place 3rd after losing in the semis. Now this is a huge generalization, but losing in the semis usually means you wrestled well, and lost to someone better (one of the finalists). No shame in that. If you lose early and then wrestle back, it generally means you stunk it up against someone you should have beaten when the pressure was on. Wrestling back to win bronze is great, certainly a lot better than a DNP, but you'll always know you didn't do as well as you should have.

I think it's disappointing to see someone celebrate an all American finish that's not first place. It seems "inappropriate" to me.

In my opinion you truly don't understand all that it takes to even participate, let alone AA, in the sport of wrestling.

There is nothing inappropriate in celebrating AA status. If you 're talking about Logan Steiber, David Taylor, or Ed Ruth I get it; otherwise, AA'ing is a big deal.

What's the cutoff point for an appropriate celebration of achieving AA status? You admit that you at least get my point. How would you feel if a guy like Hunter Stieber danced around the mat after placing 7th at the ncaas? I'd be disappointed if that happened.

Celebrating AA versus a national championship... Are we really having this discussion??

If you're Ed Ruth and you get beat by Dean again at nationals, you're not going to be doing backflips. No champagne popping for Chris Perry either if he loses again to place even second after winning it all last year.

But Nahshon Garrett from Cornell became "legit" as a contender for all the marbles when he turned in a one-loss NC to place third as a freshman. He was pretty happy, blowing kisses to the crowd. This year, he places third, he's going to be pissed.

If you're, say, David Terao from American, not exactly a powerhouse wrestling school anymore, or Ricky Durso from F&M, who had a killer EIWAs but failed to AA last year, and place third this year, way above seed to get your first AA, you're going to be pretty happy. Backflips are warranted.

Is superold mark perry? (Threw put his second and 3rd place medals). .

No I'm not. :) ScarletKnight, don't get me started on awards. I've had a few good discussions in the past on how it seems very odd (to say the least) that all 8 AAs get to stand on the podium and get a plaque. Meanwhile at the Olympics there's room for only 3 (4 now) to stand on the podium and get a medal. The rest of the field is nowhere in sight. A few go off by themselves and weep during the ceremony. With that in mind, it's just "funny" to see the 5th place finisher dancing around the mat like James Brown.

I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster that is the round of 12. Lose and go home or win and be an ALL AMERICAN! Being an AA is an amazing accomplishment that you get to keep forever. Achieving that status, whether the first or the last time, is always deserving of a celebration if that person chooses to do so.

Cody Yohn for the gophers busted his but for 5 years and made sacrifices for years for the team. Finishing his senior year as an All American meant the world to him. I am sure there are many more stories similar to this.

As far as celebrations go, I gotta go with Jayson Ness following the dramatic comeback. He hits both knees filled with emotion pointing both fingers to the sky! Then leeps into the stands as his dad pulls him up for a hug. Awesome stuff.

Being a D1 All American is exceptional. Being an AA in any college Division is extremely impressive but to do it at that high of a level (Division 1) means you are in a very elite club as far as wrestlers go (HS/college). There are many examples of HS stars/ multiple time state champs not even breaking 500 in D1.

The top 8 placers have MORE than earned a few seconds of celebration.

I don’t get how celebrating being a 1st time AA at 3 - 7 diminishes the championship won by the first place guy? Absurd position IMO.

The top 8 placers have MORE than earned a few seconds of celebration.

Why only the top 8?

I don’t get how celebrating being a 1st time AA at 3 - 7 diminishes the championship won by the first place guy? Absurd position IMO.

Does that mean you believe that it could diminish the championship if a 2nd/3rd/4th time AA celebrates placing somewhere other than 1st?

How would you feel about the guys who made the R12 celebrating? Or how about celebrating after getting one win at nationals? Many state champions don't make it that far either.

There are goals and dreams. If you reach them, there is cause for celebration. If someone dreams of R12 or qualifying or winning a match and then achieves it, he should pop a cork right there on the mat.

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Ruettiger

"Ruettiger was carried off the field by his teammates following the game. Ruettiger was one of two players in Notre Dame history to ever be carried off the field by his teammates."

Who said ONLY the top 8? Hell I wouldn’t care if anyone celebrates within reason for big (to them) matches.

I didn’t decide that the top 8 is the cut off for being an All American. It is what it is. And being a Division 1 or any Division in fact is SPECIAL.

NOTHING that occurs in the placing rounds diminishes what happens in the national finals. Doesn’t matter if its a 3 or 4 time AA celebrating a lower finish. I honestly can’t imagine why it would.

I can't remember who he was wrestling, but after his semi-final win at nationals his senior year, didn't Baskren walk past the Iowa coach's corner and hit Brands with a stall call? Classic.

As an Iowa fan, even I would have laughed at that had I seen it.

I can't remember who he was wrestling, but after his semi-final win at nationals his senior year, didn't Baskren walk past the Iowa coach's corner and hit Brands with a stall call? Classic.

Yeah, Luedke did everything but turn his back on Askren and sprint away. That was bad.

Yeah, Luedke did everything but turn his back on Askren and sprint away. That was bad.

----

like Caldwell did for the last 10 sec of his match? :o