Sign in to follow this  
RetiredPoster

Who else thinks this Aaron Pico thing is insane?

I wouldn't let my kid do it, but I don't think it's insane.

Pico is a one in a billion talent. His combination of elite physical capability and Dake-like mindset is truly world-class. He is the Tiger Woods of wrestling, in my eyes. Just like Tiger dropped out of college to pursue what he was best at doing and had a passion for, PIco is doing the same, albeit a couple of years earlier. Martial arts isn't golf by a long shot, but if he is even marginally successful, he'll be able to make a decent living from it. If he is decently successful, he'll do very well.

There's a lot of life ahead if he gives it a shot and fails, so I don't see the possibility of catastrophic downside.

It's not like he's dropping out to pursue some impossible vision quest. Pico is already achieving world-level success and is still on the bottom half of an enormously steep learning curve.

I normally wouldn't be for it, but in Pico's case, I can understand and fully support the decision as a fan. He is in the 1% of the 1% and should give it his all, no regrets, if that's what he really wants to do.

I see this as being a Todd Marinovich situation. Remember how great Adam Mariano was going to be? Laurence Jackson?...There are plenty more....

I knew Todd Marinovich and his dad and you are barking up the wrong tree. Marv, Todd’s dad was one of the dumbest people I have ever met and Todd was only marginally smarter. I have met Pico a couple of times and the impression I got was a very intelligent focused kid.

He has beaten some good highschoolers and that 19 yr old kid from Russia who wasnt trying. He has all the potential in the world and I hope he capitalizes on it and finds success. Until then, he is a little kid competing against other little kids. When he wins the US Open or WTT as a little kid, then I will buy in. Until then, I hope he does his best and gets himself ready. I will be rooting for him.

I see this as being a Todd Marinovich situation. Remember how great Adam Mariano was going to be? Laurence Jackson?...There are plenty more....

I knew Todd Marinovich and his dad and you are barking up the wrong tree. Marv, Todd’s dad was one of the dumbest people I have ever met and Todd was only marginally smarter. I have met Pico a couple of times and the impression I got was a very intelligent focused kid.

Marv was ahead of everyone else in some aspects but a complete idiot or flat out wrong on plenty of other things. I watched the documentary about Todd on ESPN and the only thing wrong with him was he wanted to make his dad happy and never really developed into his own person until he got away from him and started using drugs.

Thank you, Matt.....Cook and Zinkin signed this kid for financial reasons. Unless they crap gold bouillon in Fresno, what can they be paying this kid? and what kind of financial gain can they be making?

As I see it, they are putting a great deal on the line, as he will not be fighting MMA.....While he is wrestling, he is risking his future in MMA. It seems like an awful lot of risk, major speculation and little, to no, ROI for a long time.

He is not Tiger Woods, he's no LeBron James, he's no Maria Sharapova...Right now, he is in a virtually non-revenue generating sport, risking his future with minimal education.

I am not positive, but I would be willing to bet that Pico's father is overzealous(just like Marv Marinovich)....

I wouldn't let my kid do it, but I don't think it's insane.

Pico is a one in a billion talent. His combination of elite physical capability and Dake-like mindset is truly world-class. He is the Tiger Woods of wrestling, in my eyes. Just like Tiger dropped out of college to pursue what he was best at doing and had a passion for, PIco is doing the same, albeit a couple of years earlier. Martial arts isn't golf by a long shot, but if he is even marginally successful, he'll be able to make a decent living from it. If he is decently successful, he'll do very well.

There's a lot of life ahead if he gives it a shot and fails, so I don't see the possibility of catastrophic downside.

It's not like he's dropping out to pursue some impossible vision quest. Pico is already achieving world-level success and is still on the bottom half of an enormously steep learning curve.

I normally wouldn't be for it, but in Pico's case, I can understand and fully support the decision as a fan. He is in the 1% of the 1% and should give it his all, no regrets, if that's what he really wants to do.

Please one in a billion give me a break just another very good wrestler in the US.

Please one in a billion give me a break just another very good wrestler in the US.

I won't give you a break but I'll give you a math lesson, because your math sucks. 1% of 1% is one in 10,000, not one in a billion. You're off by EIGHT orders of magnitude, genius.

If you don't think Pico at 17 is at least 1 in 10,000, you are either blind or have even more severe challenges that make your opinion worth as much as your math skill.

Pico is just another very good HS kid. What a joke.

He is only among a handful of the best kids his age in the past couple of decades, if not longer.

The problem is that turning pro(whatever that means to a tenth grader) in MMA effects his potential growth as a wrestler and his chance to land a free, excellent education. and the fact that he will wrestle definitely has an effect on his MMA....What if he gets injured? Something which is highly likely.

I wish Pico would have completed the high school season this year, and then wrestled in the U.S. Open to test himself against our top guys. If he keeps it close or beats some of them, then he is definitely good enough to pursue this dream. If he gets dominated, then maybe he should do the high school and college thing prior to focusing on international.

I'm a huge fan and will be cheering for him along the way.

THis Pico thing is not insane at all. I've got a Master's degree and education has always been important in my family, but college is not the right route for him. People who think that education is the right direction for everyone are dead wrong in my opinion. Leave him alone and enjoy watching him improve.

First, this isn't about going to college or not......It's about signing with Zinkin and Cook.

If he chooses not to go to college, fine(although he said he wants to go to UCLA or USC and his father negotiated a full scholarship with Zinkin and Cook...Did you read the article?????).

This has to do with signing his rights away to become a professional in MMA, while training for wrestling. Me, I would have taken the free education and allowed myself to mature, become educated and develop as a human being......A few questions.....

Why would they invest in Pico if he is not training specifically for MMA?

How much money could they possibly have and be giving him, to forego a free education?

Zinkin and Cook signed Pico for financial reasons, if he is not fighting and earning $, why would they sign him?

Isn't he risking his future MMA career(possible injury) by training solely for wrestling?

I get this feeling that Pico, and his entourage, are under the impression that he is going to dominate his weight class in wrestling to win the US Open, Trials, Worlds, and Olympics.

Why would they invest in Pico if he is not training specifically for MMA? - why wouldnt they? isnt that what agents do, invest in talent?

How much money could they possibly have and be giving him, to forego a free education? - its not a "free" education. there are opportunity costs. also sounds like he is still going to get a free education, or didnt you read the article?

Zinkin and Cook signed Pico for financial reasons, if he is not fighting and earning $, why would they sign him? - its possible they earn money while Pico is wrestling freestyle. its also a risk with a much larger reward down the road. but arent we all just speculating? why do you think they signed him?

Isn't he risking his future MMA career(possible injury) by training solely for wrestling? - this is kind of silly. he's at the same risk for injury if hes in freestyle, MMA or NCAA. if anything staying in freestyle may prolong his fighting career.

I get this feeling that Pico, and his entourage, are under the impression that he is going to dominate his weight class in wrestling to win the US Open, Trials, Worlds, and Olympics.

i get the feeling you dislike Pico and his "entourage" (aka family?) for some other reason youre not getting at. but if its not personal, maybe just relax and let the kid follow his dreams, because its starting to sound a little weird to be honest.