Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Best chance to win a title

Who are the top 5 most likely to win a title this year? I'm going to assume Dake is at 165, if not these obviously change.

1. McDonough - 3 for 3 in finals appearances. Its going to take nothing short of a miracle to keep him off the top of the podium his senior year.

2. Steiber - No Oliver makes 133 his weight to lose. Ramos has a shot but Steiber has proven to be his kryptonite.

3. Ed Ruth - Bumping up a weight keeps him from the top spot. He's a great bet to win, evidenced by how he beat up on Hamlin this summer. But there are still some hammers to get through at that weight, including the returning champ.

4. Kilgore - I don't think Wright will touch him. Could be wrong.

5. Olliver - struggled putting Dake here and 141 is a mine field of a weight. But with no weight cut I think Oliver goes out on top and shows us he's still in contention for best wrestler in the country.

Dake and Taylor would make the list but they cancel each other out if they're both at 165. Also, don't sleep on Caldwell. He will give either of those guys all they can handle. If Dake goes 157 again, he gets top spot.

Just to nit pick but if McDonough wins this year, he would be 3 for 4 in the finals, not 3 for 3.

He's 3 for 3 so far in finals appearances. 2 for 3 titles.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah he is probably one of the best locks to make the finals this year, of course virtually the entire board had Escobedo-Nickerson as the final McDonough's frosh year.

Megaludis beating McD is a stretch. Megaludis will have his work cut out for him to reach the finals with Delgado and Waters as potential obstacles.

For now I'd rate McD's chances as second best, behind Dake.

All Star meet should be interesting at 125 and 165.

So you're saying that Bosak/Hamlin/Steinhaus is more likely to beat Ruth, than Taylor/Caldwell is Dake?

I mean...would you feel comfortable betting against him in March? I understand the logic, even though I don't necessarily agree.

So you're saying that Bosak/Hamlin/Steinhaus is more likely to beat Ruth, than Taylor/Caldwell is Dake?

I mean...would you feel comfortable betting against him in March? I understand the logic, even though I don't necessarily agree.

I wouldn't necessarily bet against Dake in March, in fact I'd bet on him. But if he's at 165 I think the five I listed are more likely to win a title. We're talking about 2 of the top 3 wrestlers in the nation at the same weight and another who is in the top 10. That's a tough task for anyone.

I mean...would you feel comfortable betting against him in March?

Never. If Dake beats Taylor by 1 point I'll take Ruth over Bosak by 5.

Ruth is certainly worthy of consideration, but like the original poster stated, moving up a weight adds a little more unpredictability.

Dake is apparently moving up a weight too, but he's done that every year, and seems to handle it well. And given what he did to the 2012 165# ncaa champ and Hodge winner this summer, it's hard for me to rate anyone higher.

For now (at least until the All Star event) I'll stay with Dake as most likely to win a title.

1. Oliver

2. Steiber

3. Nelson

4. Ruth

5. McDonough

For me Dake and Taylor are a tossup

Nelson at 3? Are you counting on a Gelogaev injury? Because he eviscerated Nelson (and almost everyone) before his injury last year.

I wouldn't forget about those 2 big guys coming back from an Olympic Redshirt (Bradley and Trice), Trice's backup last year even took a match from Nelson in their dual.

This is a fun topic.

1. Kilgore, although I love watching Wright wrestle.

2. Ruth, because he's pretty good.

3. McDonough, because he's kinda tough.

4. Stieber, because he's pretty savvy.

5. Chamberlain, because he's smooth.

megaludis will beat mcdonough

Megaludis got my vote for most improved wrestler during the past season. It was impressive seeing how he adapted to D1 competition and seemed to improve match-by-match. The may have some folks who can coach in Happy Valley icon_e_wink.gif. That said, I still view McDonough v. Megaludis as Man v. Boy.

I think that Ruth, McDonough and Stieber are in the top three with no real particular order. Not only because they are talented wrestlers but also because they have proven to have set themselves apart from others in their weight class. I understand the logic behind the uncertainty of moving up a weight class but in Ruth's case, I personally don't think it will make a difference.

Perry, Oliver @ 141, St. John @ 157 (If Dake stays at 165) and Kilgore are also up there. Again, proven themselves to be studs but I think that the competition aspect plays more of a factor and makes it a little more uncertain for them to win titles than the aforementioned.

In my opinion, Dake and Taylor should not even be in this discussion. I think we can all agree that ONE of them will win a title this year regardless of which weight class each of them go. They have obviously proven themselves to be some of the top wrestlers in the entire field pound for pound. However, due to how close I think the match will be when they meet and because of the uncertainty of which weight they will be at come March, they are not in my list. At this point, I think one or both of them will win a title but I don't know which one and because of that uncertainty, they are not in my list for best chance to win a title.

As I always say, preseason means nothing and it will be entertaining (like it always is) to see who comes out on top in March.

Cheers!