Sign in to follow this  
nom

Yarygan

Pico is not competing ay Yarigan

Are you sure? I thought Pico was presently training in Russia.

Also, Hubbard posted earlier that Pico will compete at the Yarygin, and from what I know, Hubbard's posts are pretty accurate.

So, i see another spelling of this tournament on the FILA site …..

Yariguin

Jan 23-26.

Come on people, doesn't anyone know what is up with this tournament. Clearly, plane tickets are booked and folks are preparing or are already over there. Any news at all? I'll take a preview with a stern warning that people are not set and players may change.

I was told he was competing, but I may have been misinformed. There are many people who are more in the know than me. He is in Russia training though but maybe just that.

Yes, there is usually a webcast, but in Krasnoyarsk it is brutal. Really poor due to the technology or whatever.

I believe Gatsalov and Boltukaev will definitely not be there. Highly questionable are Sat, Tsargush and Saritov.

The other hitters should be there.

didn't mean to refute Hubbard. he knows his stuff.

i talked to aaron last week (as he was boarding the plane, actually) and i could have sworn he told me he was just training over there. but, i could be wrong/don't remember correctly/things changed ?

Nice article. Thanks for posting Granby. Well, guess that answers our Pico at Yarygin question. Maybe next year.

I agree with a lot of you, this is just great what Pico is doing. Go for the gusto! Do what you love in life.

Yeah, little bummer we won't see Pico at remaining 3 CIF's (right?), and future NCAA's, (and this year's Yarygin - sorry just had to) but man. this kid has a chance of a lifetime. Go for it! Even if he doesn't make the Olympic team, sure looks like Pico has plenty to fall back on if he needs to.

Best of luck Aaron!

Granby - awesome find. What a great article. Answers so many concerns and questions. I truly with the whole family a tremendous and wonderful ride over the next decade. Can't wait to see how this turns out. They have a plan and I hope they succeed!

ok, this damn tournament starts tomorrow --- nothing on the USA wrestling site.

I have, in the past, turned a blind eye to those complaining about the lack of information provided by our national wrestling governing body. I guess I won't anymore.

This seems to be a major hole.

Anyone have any info at all?

I noticed that in 2012, there was an article out 3 days before the tournament start.

http://themat.com/section.php?section_i ... leID=24601

I noticed that in 2013 themat.tv had a live stream of the tournament.

Anything for 2014? Anyone? Bueller?

If that whole 61 bracket shows up things will be crazy. How good would Otarsultanov vs Goygeerev be? I also hope for a severely pissed of Geduev to lay waste to the competition. Didn't Dake want to wrestle here? Maybe he's still hurt.

thats a nice write up by Riordan. i also think that banner pic for the tournament is pretty rad.

ridiculous amount of talent going from Russia. wish there was more coverage too but i can't get too mad at USA Wrestling for not hyping it more if Metcalf is the only American going. just not much demand for international freestyle coverage.

nice to see 8 weights again but still makes no sense to me that they jump from 74 to 86. its also insane that 61kg is going away for the Olympics. but, thats a well worn topic, not going to dwell on it now.

i guess we just wait to read the results over the weekend then?

Very disappointing if only Metcalf is entered - we'll see. As a fan, I really wanted to see a bunch of our top guys enter this field. Maybe I'm being selfish - I'm not behind the scenes, and I'm sure Team USA has their reasons. What about Iran? Hope to see some of their top guys.

OK, with our limited info on this tourney (using Mike Riordan's article), here are some picks for fun:

57: Israpilov - this guy can score, probably got bit by 15 minute rest at 2013 World's.

61: Opan Sat - always been a fan of his, plus he should be a hometown favorite (think he's from Krasnoyarsk).

65: The homer pick would be Metcalf, and I thought Bekbulatov looked outstanding when he beat Metcalf in the finals last year, but I'll go with Soslan Romanov this year.

74: Going with Sanakoev here especially after seeing his very tough match against Burroughs last summer.

86: Urishev

97: Boltukaev

125: Gatsalov

Sat is from Tuva. He trains in Krasnoyarsk though and considers himself from both places.

I hear he's 50/50 on competing.

I do not believe Boltukaev or Gatsalov will be there. Boltukaev had major surgery after Worlds.

I've got: Lebedev, Goygereev, Bekbulatov, Tsabolov, Rubaev, Gadisov and Nurasulov.