Sign in to follow this  
nom

Yarygan

thats a nice write up by Riordan. i also think that banner pic for the tournament is pretty rad.

ridiculous amount of talent going from Russia. wish there was more coverage too but i can't get too mad at USA Wrestling for not hyping it more if Metcalf is the only American going. just not much demand for international freestyle coverage.

nice to see 8 weights again but still makes no sense to me that they jump from 74 to 86. its also insane that 61kg is going away for the Olympics. but, thats a well worn topic, not going to dwell on it now.

i guess we just wait to read the results over the weekend then?

it was a good write up of the wrestlers that reside in russia. a tournament preview should have been done by someone in russia that knew who was showing up and what weight they would be wrestling......

Metcalf actually won his match by tech in 2:35. Beating came in the second match. Guy new exactly where Brent was good and stayed far away from it. Needs to get better finishes to the other leg. Was able to get in on the leg multiple times but couldn't finish.

hard to win when you're scoring 1pt push outs instead of 2pt takedowns. russia is so far ahead of us on the single leg defense when the guy is turning the corner. they win that position against our guys almost every time and it doesnt matter which guy is in on the single.

I think that was Metcalf's first match. Who was the other guy? He was excellent.

There is some really good wrestling here (as expected).

Ok, back to Krasnoyarsk.

metcalf won his first and lost his second match. my cyrillic isnt good (by not good, i mean i don't understand anything) but i think it was stepanov. i couldn't find live results so its a total guess as to who won the first match to wrestle metcalf. if so he is young. someone on here probably can tell us who it was he wrestled...

Metcalf actually won his match by tech in 2:35. Beating came in the second match. Guy new exactly where Brent was good and stayed far away from it. Needs to get better finishes to the other leg. Was able to get in on the leg multiple times but couldn't finish.

Oh, so I did miss his first match. Went to the brackets right before the webcast and I thought that was Brent's first match. My bad.

Yeah, and who am I to say, but I would love to see Brent mix in more upper body bearhugs and throws, especially when he falls behind. I'm sure he can. Again, just being an armchair quarterback.

Ok, now, back to Krasnoyarsk.

Wow, that was Soslan Romanov and I didn't even recognize him. Now that you mentioned it, yeah looks just like him.

He was my pick to win this weight class. Hopefully Metcalf will be drawn back in.

And again, I apologize to Brent and his camp for posting that he lost his first match. I just got home, read a few posts and the brackets, and went to the webcast. Was rushing everything, then I see Brent on the mat. Didn't realize I missed his first match.

Sock, thanks again, this tournament is great.

Just a few more things on this tournament:

1, Thanks Gary Abbott for the follow up article and results of 65 kg. I couldn't stay up that late (but if Brent would've beat Soslan, I would've stayed up).

2. Give credit to Brent Metcalf for being USA's sole representative at this Grand Prix event. Wish we had more of our studs enter. Just love this top level competition. Freestyle it is.

3. Look at the results at 65 (thanks Gary). Gold medal goes to Kurbanaliev, who Metcalf beat here last year. Silver goes to Emeev, the guy who Pico teched 10-0, Molinaro pinned, and Russell beat this year. Soslan Romonov beats Brent this year and takes bronze. Brent beat him last year at this event. Kurbanaliev beat Soslan in finals at Russian Nationals last year. Kurby then takes bronze at 2013 World's. Just another loaded and fun weight class.

4. The Russian webcast was very good, pretty clear, and showed all mats. I don't know Russian language, so I really didn't know who was who except for a few.

5. Overall the wrestling was great. Very little "stalling" so to speak.

So comparing the Yarygan results to 2013 Russian Nationals:

57 kg: Nariman Israpilov took bronze, after winning 55 kg last year. Nodar Arabidze took fifth at both events. Surun took bronze at Nationals and fifth the other day.

61: Bekkhan Goigereyev took second after winning 60 kg last year.

65: Kurbanaliev won both. Emeev took second after finishing bronze at Russian nats. Ramonov finished third after taking second at 66kg.

70: Shamsudinov won silver after getting 5th at 74kg.

74 kg: Sanatoev took second at nationals and fith at Yarygan.

86: Shamil Kudiyamagomedov won at 84 last year and took second yesterday. Anzor Urishev took bronze yesterday and second at 84. Kcoev took bronze last year and fifth yesterday.

97: Abdusalam won yesterday after getting second last year. Batraz took bronze at both events.

125: Khugaev won both events.

Thoughts... Someone PLEASE post video of the 61 Kg final. So excited that Otarsultanov is back. Also pretty pumped if Russia is using OT. Finally wow, did Emeev ever have a horrible USA trip this year compared to results since. Kind of like the other top Russian 66s last year.

The youtube page GeoWrestling has it posted.

Awesome match! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCBZbP-0q-U

That counter throw off Goigereev's double was outstanding, considering Goigereev had both of his legs and was driving.

Does anyone know if Metcalf's matches are uploaded anywhere?

goigereev didn't come up with his hips down. he deserved to get tossed. most basic wrestling principle, stay in your stance. great job by otarsultanov.