Sign in to follow this  
superold

Are the Iowa Hawkeyes now the favorites at NCAAs?

Iowa

125: Gilman

133: Ramos

141: Dziewa

149: Grothus

157: St. John

165: Moore

174: Evans

184: Lofthouse

197: Burak

285: Telford

Penn State:

125: Megaludis

133: Gulibon

141: Retherford

149: Beitz

157: Vollrath

165: Taylor

174: Brown

184: Ruth

197: Mcintosh

285: Lawson

Very close!

I think we may have jumped ahead of Minnesota for the best chance at beating PSU at NCAAs. It's going to come down to everyone at Iowa being healthy and wrestling to their seeds. If we do that, and PSU slips up somewhere, we can win it.

No.

Iowa had a great performance fri night, but PSU is still the favorite.

I don't see Clark going up 2 weight classes to 141# this season.

Do you believe that Iowa has significantly closed the gap with Grothus showing that he's an AA threat, and Moore showing that he could be a potential finalist?

I think it's going to be a very close race at nationals.

Tom Brands says that not only is Penn State in another league, but that they are built for tournaments. Add that perspective to every tourney result involving Penn State this year and in recent years and the answer is no, Iowa is not the favorite. Penn State is the favorite.

If they bump Clark up to 33 and Ramos up to 41, then they absolutely are the favorites to win the team title. I don't see anyone at 41 with the exception of Stieber beating Ramos and I think Clark is an AA at 33. That is the best lineup for the Hawks but I don't see Brands making that change for the sake of Ramos wanting to get a title.

If they bump Clark up to 33 and Ramos up to 41, then they absolutely are the favorites to win the team title. I don't see anyone at 41 with the exception of Stieber beating Ramos and I think Clark is an AA at 33. That is the best lineup for the Hawks but I don't see Brands making that change for the sake of Ramos wanting to get a title.

But you can't know. There could be 5 or 6 guys at 141 that might beat him. He'd be changing weights and adjusting to that change. Some of those guys might actually beat him easily.

Love to see him try, though.

A few weeks ago so many Iowa fans were questioning Brands as coach. Said 149 was a lost cause. Wanted Clark at 125, not Gilman. Happy with Jeva at 141 with decent showing against Zain and a good midlands. Not happy how Evans looked against Brown. Moore was same old staller and little to expect from him.

NOW Brands is a great coach again and has his wrestlers ready. Grothus is gonna AA at 149. Gilman is man at 125 and will AA. Jeva should be replaced by Clark at 141, even though he never wrestled at 141 before. Evans is back with razor close match with Perry. Moore beats Caldwell and now he turned the corner. I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

It is pretty comical reading the Iowa forum, they turn on their wrestlers and coaches on a weekly basis. People need to realize some guys have a bad match sometimes. They can get in a bad wrestling slump(Gulibon), or on a hot streak(Grothus). The season is basically to build for the real deal, March NCAA's. So right now Ruth losing is no big deal to me. Zain is hot right now, but lets see how he does at BIG 10's. Does he get to that rematch with Logan? Can he win again or does he get a better Stieber who man handles him? Either way I want PSU to perform come March when it matters.

Oh and PSU is till favorites come NCAA's.

But you can't know. There could be 5 or 6 guys at 141 that might beat him. He'd be changing weights and adjusting to that change. Some of those guys might actually beat him easily.

Nobody knows until they step up on the mat and actually wrestle, I'd love to see him try as well. He wrestled very well against Carter and I think only Retherford, Port, and Stieber would be favorites against him. I just want to see the most competitive NCAA tournament possible

Nobody knows until they step up on the mat and actually wrestle, I'd love to see him try as well. He wrestled very well against Carter and I think only Retherford, Port, and Stieber would be favorites against him. I just want to see the most competitive NCAA tournament possible

Agree. Love competition.

slow your troll.

Maybe wait until it's seen how much Grothus has closed the gap with Andrew Alton from the last time they wrestled (and Alton majored him) before asking the question.

Besides, they get Minnie in 2 weeks.

-----

ditto to all of the above.

Grothus is showing promise, but can get careless too. Moore is looking solid, but the fact that he could make it to the finals means that 165# is not the strongest weight class this year. There is Taylor and then everyone else.

Iowa faces Minny soon, and on paper it I'd say it looks pretty even. Minny would be favored at 141,149,197,Hwt, and possibly 184 (Steinhaus is hard to predict this season).

PSU beat Iowa in the dual 7 matches to 3, and that was without both Altons. If they are healthy, and PSU gets their mega bonus pts from Taylor and Ruth (add more from Megaludis, Brown, McIntosh), they'll be in the driver's seat in March. It would take some big surprises to let Iowa, Minny or someone else take it.

A few weeks ago so many Iowa fans were questioning Brands as coach. Said 149 was a lost cause. Wanted Clark at 125, not Gilman. Happy with Jeva at 141 with decent showing against Zain and a good midlands. Not happy how Evans looked against Brown. Moore was same old staller and little to expect from him.

NOW Brands is a great coach again and has his wrestlers ready. Grothus is gonna AA at 149. Gilman is man at 125 and will AA. Jeva should be replaced by Clark at 141, even though he never wrestled at 141 before. Evans is back with razor close match with Perry. Moore beats Caldwell and now he turned the corner. I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

It is pretty comical reading the Iowa forum, they turn on their wrestlers and coaches on a weekly basis. People need to realize some guys have a bad match sometimes. They can get in a bad wrestling slump(Gulibon), or on a hot streak(Grothus). The season is basically to build for the real deal, March NCAA's. So right now Ruth losing is no big deal to me. Zain is hot right now, but lets see how he does at BIG 10's. Does he get to that rematch with Logan? Can he win again or does he get a better Stieber who man handles him? Either way I want PSU to perform come March when it matters.

----

As a regular reader of the Iowa forum, your portrayal strikes me as rather skewed, focusing on a few of the extreme positions. Sure there are a few who overreact, but don't ignore the majority, who are more moderate.

I tend to agree with you that Retherford, while great, may not repeat his success in a Stieber rematch. Ruth losing was kind of a big deal, imo. Not because it means he won't win in March (I'd still favor him), but until the loss, his career was putting him in a very elite category, and the loss dropped him a notch.

gottaluvit. spot on. easily gets my vote for post of the millenia!

This is a total crock. No one has turned on Brands or the team, but there's always some fools who want to stir things up. Experienced fans know that this was ONE good meet and not a whole season, and we all know that Penn State is still the favorite. In any event, PSU deserves fans who have better things to do than troll other team's fan boards.

I think it depends a lot upon whether the Altons are eligible and ready to go. If they are, PSU has to be favored.

Weird thing is I think it's pretty comical reading the Penn St. forum. And sad. Sometimes pathetic. Often unhealthy and scary. At times reads like a cult who will drink the Kool-Aid when Cael says the comet is coming with a unicorn leading the way. Hmm.....Chasden, I wonder.....do you think it could depend on your perspective? Maybe what team you cheer for has something to do with what we view as comical and what we don't? I don't know maybe not. Thoughts?

I know my opinions haven't changed. Tom Brands is a great coach who shares much of the same philosophies as I do, hence why I cheer for Iowa. I've never lived in Iowa and god willing never will. I was drawn to them a long time ago by philosophy and I don't see that ever changing with Tom leading the way. I've never been on the Jeva bandwagon even after Midlands. I want him to be good with all my heart but that doesn't mean I think it will happen.

Oh and PSU is STILL favorites come NCAA's.

This is a total crock. No one has turned on Brands or the team, but there's always some fools who want to stir things up. Experienced fans know that this was ONE good meet and not a whole season, and we all know that Penn State is still the favorite. In any event, PSU deserves fans who have better things to do than troll other team's fan boards.

"Total Crock". LOL! I DON'T troll any boards. I do read the Iowa forum and that is all, I would never post there. I also know how to read pretty well over there, and many guys went crazy over there and spew some stupid stuff after ONE freaking match.

Chasden-You seem pretty new around here. You should of been on here last summer and year when Dake was stomping Taylor. Or the worst spewings I think I've heard were when Marstellar jilted Penn St. I'll bet you even Missouri and Cornell have idiot fans. All the big boys have idiot fans. Of course some Iowa fans say stupid things after ONE match. This doesn't make them unique. I think that's what you seem to be missing here.

Weird thing is I think it's pretty comical reading the Penn St. forum. And sad. Sometimes pathetic. Often unhealthy and scary. At times reads like a cult who will drink the Kool-Aid when Cael says the comet is coming with a unicorn leading the way. Hmm.....Chasden, I wonder.....do you think it could depend on your perspective? Maybe what team you cheer for has something to do with what we view as comical and what we don't? I don't know maybe not. Thoughts?

I know my opinions haven't changed. Tom Brands is a great coach who shares much of the same philosophies as I do, hence why I cheer for Iowa. I've never lived in Iowa and god willing never will. I was drawn to them a long time ago by philosophy and I don't see that ever changing with Tom leading the way. I've never been on the Jeva bandwagon even after Midlands. I want him to be good with all my heart but that doesn't mean I think it will happen.

Oh and PSU is STILL favorites come NCAA's.

I see things both ways. We all have our favorites and there are some that are complete homers for both sides. My point I was trying to make was, from reading the Iowa forum lately, is after one bad meet(against PSU) so many are calling for the heads of some. Now after midlands and now an awesome performance hammering Okie State they are title contenders again. Listen the bottom line is this. THEY WERE AND ARE STILL TITLE CONTENDERS!!! PSU is definitely the favorites, but dang don't throw your team under the bus after one bad match. All the those ridiculous topics and replies were funny and disturbing reading them to me. All it takes is a few slip ups from a few PSU wrestlers, and others from another contender to step up and we have a new team Champ. At the scuffle it looked like it MInnesota could win the team title going into the semi's, and look what happened after that round.

I read the PSU forums( I do not post there either) and IMHO I see a smaller group of posters who for the most part support their team in a more positive way. To me they try and stick by there guys through thick and thin. And sure there is some homerism there that only see through blue and white glasses, that you would find comical. I root for PSU for one reason, and it has zero to do with Cael, though I think he is a great coach. I am from PA and followed many of PSU guys all through HS. I also root for some Lehigh kids since many of them I have seen in HS. Heck I even root for Jeva, I was there his senior year when he won states.

I am sorry for this jumbled mess. I am a very slow typer and have mediocre writing skills at best. I can read and comprehend well. :D

slow your troll.

Maybe wait until it's seen how much Grothus has closed the gap with Andrew Alton from the last time they wrestled (and Alton majored him) before asking the question.

Besides, they get Minnie in 2 weeks.

I'm not "trolling". Far too often on these boards honest discussion is classified as trolling.

Grothus doesn't necessarily have to beat A. Alton. He just has to do better against the field. Grothus has better wins this season, and right now imo, is looking like he's as good a pick as A. Alton to make AA. Actually, probably a better pick at the moment.

Will A. Alton even make it back to the lineup? If he does, how much will that matter? He failed to make AA last year. From what I've heard, Alton is not 100% yet. If that's true, Alton would simply be a less than 100% non AA who has a history of underperforming at the ncaas. Why is he easily the better pick to outperform Grothus at the ncaas? If that's what you are saying.