Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Solution for Pico

I think that Pico present a unique situation. If he is serious about his goals I think this is what he should do.

When he turns 18 (or sooner if he can) he should enlist in the US Army and join WCAP. Why? There's more reasons to do this than to not do it. If he doesn't plan on competing in MMA right away he would still be able to wrestle and box in the Army, get paid for it, compete overseas, earn a skill and best of all if he decided he wanted out after 4 years he'd be 22. He could go to college for virtually nothing thanks to the GI Bill, maybe land an assistant coaching job or be a part of one of the RTCs while helping coach college kids.

If he doesn't pan out as expected he still has a steady income from the Army, would still be able to go to college at some point, and has a safety net so to speak. If he shreds his ACL next year, then what? At least if he did get injured while competing for the Army he'd get taken care of.

The Army is a great idea, but I don't see this in the cards. I just want to know how much money Cook and Zinkin dangled in front of Pico and his family? It really cannot be that much.

It could be a good amount (if you stretch it over time) if the contract guarantees a percentage of future endorsement deals from Olympics and MMA, as well as, MMA prize money. Sure they are taking a chance but also looking at a future large return on that investment.

Well that's what he should look at, long term, not what's going to pay off right now. Especially if he isn't planning to do MMA until later. The Army would provide a ton of support. If Pico decided he didn't want to wrestle or do MMA in a few years (I doubt he would but say he does) or something else happens then where would he be? This isn't like Henry Cejudo because Cejudo was at least taking some college classes while at the OTC and part of the deal for him being there was to graduate high school. Cejudo made a killer endorsement deal after he won the gold and was able to get college paid for and graduated a few years later. He also wasn't seriously interested in MMA until later.

Pico would be great for the Army. Only real downside is he'd have to miss time for training but it didn't seem to get in the way of Lester, Mango or Coleman. Those guys all love it too.

It could be a good amount (if you stretch it over time) if the contract guarantees a percentage of future endorsement deals from Olympics and MMA, as well as, MMA prize money. Sure they are taking a chance but also looking at a future large return on that investment.

a good amount? What's a good amount?

Olympics? He has yet to win a match at the US Open...

This is all incredible, "if the stars align" speculation...This is my point.

That's why I think the Army is a no brainer. He loses 8-9 months doing his initial Army training, but gets a steady paycheck and a ton of support to pursue wrestling and has a safety net. He'd be at the OTC anyway if he seriously pursues it. Might as well be paid to be there and have that as your full time job rather than relying on sponsors or other sources of income. Plus college would be virtually free in the event he decided to go earn a degree at some point.

Okay I’ve been lurking around on these post on Aaron Pico and thought I would shed some light on what I know from sources close to the Pico family. Aaron Pico entered into an agreement with Zinkin Entertainment, the same management company of the likes of Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck, Chuck Liddell, etc. My source did not know or maybe didn’t want to share the amount Aaron is being compensated, however he did say it’s a generous amount, one that’s unheard of for an American wrestler of any age, at any level, and his agreement does cover the cost of Aaron’s college of choice. Aaron wanted to forgo high school to train with the best wrestlers in the world. Aaron does possess the skill sets to be successful in MMA and it’s obvious when one of if not the most successful MMA management company signs him at 17 years old and is willing to invest in him. I think it’s a great thing to see an MMA company willing to support Aaron’s pursuit of an Olympic Gold and an education.

definitely an interesting idea. i dont know much about that WCAP but it sounds like a very nice option for people who want to focus on the international styles and arent that interested in being a full time student.

but it seems like pico would want a path with more flexibility, especially since he's ultimately headed for MMA. it also doesn't sound like he needs a solution to any problem. he's got nothing but opportunities and he's already chosen the one he prefers.

So, You think he can train to fight full-time, and then train and wrestle and win the US Open, Trials, Worlds and Olympics?

It's a pipe dream......

i dont know how hes going to train or what hes going to accomplish. all i know is he knows a lot better than you or i do what he wants to do and what choices are best for him.

and so what if it is a pipe dream? pico has said that he wants to wrestle freestyle and then get into MMA. so thats what hes going to try to do. is it that big of a deal that he doesnt want to wrestle folkstyle in the NCAA? who cares, let him do what he wants.

Pico is able to train for, and compete at a very high level in freestyle, folk, and GR wrestling, Pancrase, and boxing right now. I don't think it's a pipe dream for him to do Freestyle and MMA. And if you think it's a pipe dream, guess what? It's his pipe dream and his life.

If that part of the agreement is true, I hope that the money is good enough. It sounds like the way baseball contracts are usually structured for kids drafted out of high school, who if they decide at some point baseball isn't what they want or that they aren't developing enough they can opt out and go to college. There have been a lot of pretty good football players in college who did that.

Pico is able to train for, and compete at a very high level in freestyle, folk, and GR wrestling, Pancrase, and boxing right now. I don't think it's a pipe dream for him to do Freestyle and MMA. And if you think it's a pipe dream, guess what? It's his pipe dream and his life.[/quote

I am sure he can do it at a high level, just as most MMA fighters do, the question is; Can he do "both" at a high enough level to be a force in Olympic style wrestling and MMA, to warrant a pro career, earn a living, and with a high school education?

Pico is perhaps going to train in two styles; freestyle and MMA. Elite high school and college wrestlers do folkstyle and freestyle. The Russians do some cross training. freestyle wrestlers workout with Greco and vice versa. Judo and Sombo teams occasionally workout with freestyle and greco teams. Breaks up the monotony of doing just one style year round, plus you might pickup something from anothet style you might want to use.

Pico is no Dave Schultz yet, but I'll be interested in his progress. Henry Cejudo showed there is more than one route for US wrestlers who want to compete internationally. Those who've gone from high school to the OTC for a year then to college haven't exactly been having stellar results. So I'm going to withold my judgement and just watch how Aaron does and wish him the best.

Good article on Pico especially for those so concerned on the college education issue.

http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

So according to this article, Pico has:

- Restructured his studies with the collaboration of his high school to complete his diploma requirements and graduate HS

- Negotiated a free ride to a top university (UCLA or USC), which he plans to attend as he trains for freestyle

- Signed contracts to earn some income from sponsorships already, which he plans to save and invest

- Negotiated all travel expenses to and from training and competition venues for both himself and his coach

- Restructured his training regimen to advance in the sport he cares most about, freestyle, and forgo the brutal wear and tear of D1 folkstyle, which he does not care much about

- Set an ambitious but realistic goal (for someone of his precocious talents) of making an impact by the 2020 Olympics, which he has communicated to his sponsors to set expectations, giving himself six years

- Is living his dream and having the time of his life

In summary, he gets a free college education, a chance to maximize his enormous potential in the sport he loves most, and has his college degree to fall back on after wrestling if MMA, for which he already has a contract and relationship with one of the best agenst in the business, does not pan out.

And people criticize this????

If my kid could follow suit, I would be the happiest dad in the world.

I, for one, will be rooting for Pico to achieve his goals.

also seems he has some strong financial backing from his parents. If fore some reason his athletic plans fall apart it's not like he will have to beg for food. Too bad he is not wrestling in the Yarygin, maybe he is taking a beating in practice from some of the sr guys?

Good article on Pico especially for those so concerned on the college education issue.

http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

So according to this article, Pico has:

- Restructured his studies with the collaboration of his high school to complete his diploma requirements and graduate HS

- Negotiated a free ride to a top university (UCLA or USC), which he plans to attend as he trains for freestyle

- Signed contracts to earn some income from sponsorships already, which he plans to save and invest

- Negotiated all travel expenses to and from training and competition venues for both himself and his coach

- Restructured his training regimen to advance in the sport he cares most about, freestyle, and forgo the brutal wear and tear of D1 folkstyle, which he does not care much about

- Set an ambitious but realistic goal (for someone of his precocious talents) of making an impact by the 2020 Olympics, which he has communicated to his sponsors to set expectations, giving himself six years

- Is living his dream and having the time of his life

In summary, he gets a free college education, a chance to maximize his enormous potential in the sport he loves most, and has his college degree to fall back on after wrestling if MMA, for which he already has a contract and relationship with one of the best agenst in the business, does not pan out.

And people criticize this????

If my kid could follow suit, I would be the happiest dad in the world.

I, for one, will be rooting for Pico to achieve his goals.

If you can read this article and still think he and his family’s decisions are stupid and not in his best interest you have a very myopic view on life.

If that's what he's got in writing guaranteed then good for him. I just hope that it stays together for him and he is able to be happy and healthy and not be pressured by sponsors or any outside forces. Best of luck to him and I hope that he does make an impact.