Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Solution for Pico

Sounds like a great deal. So called wrestling fans are actually opposed to his plan? I can't say I'm surprised. people on this site and in our great sport love to tear down others who far exceed what they could ever accomplish. So he's got a free ride to college, will graduate HS a year early, will travel the world training in the sport he loves, and this is frowned upon. A clear case of jealousy.

That article is not good...

Pico's father sounds like a typical overzealous father and it sounds like Andy Barth has dipped deep into his pockets...

I just find this whole thing to be extremely arrogant and a pipe dream. He has barely wrestled a match nor has he fought a fight and he is being crowned, King. Give me a break!

Pico's father sounds like a typical overzealous father and it sounds like Andy Barth has dipped deep into his pockets...

I just find this whole thing to be extremely arrogant and a pipe dream. He has barely wrestled a match nor has he fought a fight and he is being crowned, King. Give me a break!

Wow?

Dude is the best wrestler on Earth at his age and weight class. That's significant. I'm not informed on whether the MMA agent thing is a good idea or not, but I don't see how the freestyle thing is bad, assuming he doesn't bankrupt his parents or something. Statistically he probably won't win the Olympics but that's true of all wrestlers. USA wrestling at least seems to be on board and think he has world level talent.

Good article on Pico especially for those so concerned on the college education issue.

http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

So according to this article, Pico has:

- Restructured his studies with the collaboration of his high school to complete his diploma requirements and graduate HS

- Negotiated a free ride to a top university (UCLA or USC), which he plans to attend as he trains for freestyle

- Signed contracts to earn some income from sponsorships already, which he plans to save and invest

- Negotiated all travel expenses to and from training and competition venues for both himself and his coach

- Restructured his training regimen to advance in the sport he cares most about, freestyle, and forgo the brutal wear and tear of D1 folkstyle, which he does not care much about

- Set an ambitious but realistic goal (for someone of his precocious talents) of making an impact by the 2020 Olympics, which he has communicated to his sponsors to set expectations, giving himself six years

- Is living his dream and having the time of his life

In summary, he gets a free college education, a chance to maximize his enormous potential in the sport he loves most, and has his college degree to fall back on after wrestling if MMA, for which he already has a contract and relationship with one of the best agenst in the business, does not pan out.

And people criticize this????

If my kid could follow suit, I would be the happiest dad in the world.

I, for one, will be rooting for Pico to achieve his goals.

If you can read this article and still think he and his family’s decisions are stupid and not in his best interest you have a very myopic view on life.

Actually I think your vanilla everybody should be exactly the same views as myopic and stupid..... but I support your right to be so.

I fully support your right to be a troll.... but I would suggest you work on your craft. I actually respect talented trolls (this forum has had several really good ones over the years). Transparent trolls are boring.

I fully support your right to be a troll.... but I would suggest you work on your craft. I actually respect talented trolls (this forum has had several really good ones over the years). Transparent trolls are boring.

I'm no troll..I am actually concerned for the kid. I hope he wins Gold medals from now until eternity

I'm no troll..I am actually concerned for the kid. I hope he wins Gold medals from now until eternity

Retired Poster, I believe your concern for the kid is genuine. However, Pico (and Kyle Snyder) have no business continuing to wrestle high school age competition - it will do them no good in helping them achieve their short and long term athletic goals. I guess Pico could've gotten his GED and entered college early to continue to compete, but 1) if the Olympics arehis most important wrestling goal, and 2) understanding the Olympics are now a professional endeavor, I think this is his best option. (Likewise, I am curious as to how long Snyder will compete on the collegiate level if he truly wants to contend for the 2016 team.)

I am just wondering why Cook and Zinkin would pay him a salary for MMA, if he is wrestling..It seems too risky to me.

Six to eight years of salary(before possibly earning prize money) for travel, training, living expenses, etc..Is a great deal of cash..

The investment risk and ROI are not balancing out for me....I am not trolling, just trying to figure it out.

OK, here is how I see it...Cook and Zinkin are Ringling Bros Circus(MMA)......Pico is a young, talented feline tamer...they pay him a salary, but send him to another circus(Wrestling) to hone his skills working with a cougar or mountain lion......preparing him to come back to Ringling Bros. to work in the big lion cage in 6-8 years. HAHAH

do you actually have any financial data to conduct a meaningful ROI? if so, i'd be very much interested in seeing your calculations.

i think a better analogy would be an agent that signs a teenager in high school or in the dominican republic, even though there is a minuscule chance each individual kid ends up with a big MLB payday. it happens all the time. are you worried for those agents as well?

so besides being confused about how the business of sports agency works, what are you actually concerned about? that his agents won't make any money?

I wasn't rooting against the guy, I was just hoping that he wasn't being exploited and wouldn't have anything to show for it if he was injured or decided he didn't want to wrestle anymore.

I'm not the closest person to him, but from what I have observed Aaron has people around him that are looking out for his best long-term interests. It's always smart to be aware that there are people who want to exploit star athletes, but based upon what I have seen he has really good people close to him.

do you actually have any financial data to conduct a meaningful ROI? if so, i'd be very much interested in seeing your calculations.

i think a better analogy would be an agent that signs a teenager in high school or in the dominican republic, even though there is a minuscule chance each individual kid ends up with a big MLB payday. it happens all the time. are you worried for those agents as well?

so besides being confused about how the business of sports agency works, what are you actually concerned about? that his agents won't make any money?

There is ZERO ROI and there won't be for a long time, if he is being paid to be an MMA fighter, while he is only wrestling....It seems like an awful lot of risk, for some "potential" money, way down the road..This is not Baseball..Most people don't care about Wrestling..Wrestling, is a non-revenue generating sport...You do not earn income, unless you win a Gold Medal, and in the big scheme of things, it isn't that much money.

So I guess someone is banking on him winning a gold medal..ok, let's say he wins Gold in Rio and then the following year he wins the WC....That's 300K..After Cook and Zinkin's cut, after taxes, etc.....That really isn't that much money.

I just think he signed on, too quickly if he wants to wrestle and fight...If he wants to only be a fighter, this would be great.

what numbers? you have a very small portion of the whole picture. the professional MMA agents are taking the financial risk and they think the numbers add up. the potential pay off of a top billed MMA fighter is huge. its many years down the road but presumably Pico won't be their only client.

thats great you have credentials. with them you wouldnt think you'd have such difficulty appreciating the situation but then here we still are.

yes there's a very good chance Pico's agent's dont ever see a payout on their investment. hence risk/reward. if they have a stable portfolio of revenue generating clients, it can be worth it to diversify with some high risk, high payout clients. you dont get rich by investing in Apple stock after the iPhone came out.

also the injury risk is a non factor. he has the same injury risk whether he's training in MMA or just wrestling.

not sure present value and expected value got covered in your masters classes but those concepts will play heavily into Pico's new agents' decision to sign him as a teenager.

but glad to hear we both wish Pico nothing but the best!