Sign in to follow this  
HamPorter

Iowa's Swan Dive

Although I know there is plenty of season left, it seems as if Iowa has really taken a dive over the last few weeks... Regardless of their wins or losses in dual action, it seems as though the team is wore out and wrestling with far less intensity that we are subjected to seeing. I am fully aware who their coaches are and what is at stake, but I am curious on everyone elses views on how they will finish this year?

I'm an Iowa fan and I live in Iowa City. I'll liable to be lynched for saying this but unless some serious improvements are made and guys wrestle above their seeds, I'm looking at a third place finish at the BIG 10 tournament. As of right now, I'm hoping that the Hawkeyes can at least bring home a top 4 trophy at the NCAA's, but I'm not even real positive if that's going to happen or not.

A lot of variables go into getting first place both BIG 10's and NCAA's.

McDonough needs to wrestle like the champion he is.

Ramos needs to avenge losses to Steiber and Carter, while handing Oliver another defeat.

Marion needs to wake up and wrestle, or he'll be finishing somewhere between 5th and 6th at Nationals. He wrestles against Russell, Novachkov, Maple, or Mangrum like he did Kindig or Suefolhn he's going to get beat.

Kelly needs to do much better than expected.

Moore, needs to do much, much, much better than expected.

Evans needs to wrestle like he did against Kokesh and NOT like he did against Garcia.

Lofthouse needs to go out and do what I've been saying he's capable of all year.

Gambrall needs to get back down to weight if 184 is where he's going to go and wrestle like he did last year.

Wagner needs to keep plugging along earning valuable team points like he has all year.

Rasing is a former BIG 10 Champion, and he needs to repeat last years performance at the BIG 10's and perform just as well at the NCAA's. If Telford, same principle applies.

All of that needs to happen for Iowa to win the BIG 10's and the NCAA's.

I'm an Iowa fan and I live in Iowa City. I'll liable to be lynched for saying this but unless some serious improvements are made and guys wrestle above their seeds, I'm looking at a third place finish at the BIG 10 tournament. As of right now, I'm hoping that the Hawkeyes can at least bring home a top 4 trophy at the NCAA's, but I'm not even real positive if that's going to happen or not.

Ramos needs to avenge losses to Steiber and Carter, while handing Oliver another defeat.

Marion needs to wake up and wrestle, or he'll be finishing somewhere between 5th and 6th at Nationals. He wrestles against Russell, Novachkov, Maple, or Mangrum like he did Kindig or Suefolhn he's going to get beat.

Evans needs to wrestle like he did against Kokesh and NOT like he did against Garcia.

Lofthouse needs to go out and do what I've been saying he's capable of all year.

Gambrall needs to get back down to weight if 184 is where he's going to go and wrestle like he did last year.

Wagner needs to keep plugging along earning valuable team points like he has all year.

Rasing is a former BIG 10 Champion, and he needs to repeat last years performance at the BIG 10's and perform just as well at the NCAA's. If Telford, same principle applies.

I'm going to go ahead and go there: "No VT transfers = parity". There, i said it.
Well said!

Iowa taking 3rd at Big Tens is now a goal, rather than an expectation. Penn State has the tournament team, and Minnie is right along there with them. I think Ohio State, Iowa, and Nebraska will be fighting for 3rd, 4th, and 5th ... not in any specific order. Taking fourth at the NCAAs is actually more realistic than 3rd at the Big Tens for Iowa. Big Tens will be a tough tournament with a strong concentration of top contenders.

I saw no fire out of much of the Iowa lineup this past weekend, having been to both of their matches. Friday, they were wrestling looking ahead, and Sunday, they were wrestling not to lose. Yes, resultswise, Sunday went as expected, but the way they looked was disappointing.

As I said a good many times, and I'm going to get no argument here, I hope the trainer had adult-sized Advils for all of the flies on the wall in the Iowa wrestling room this week!

5.5th?

5.5th?

We're in the United States man. We don't use the metric system here. 5 1/2th place.

As a fellow Iowa fan JT pretty much summed up everything that's been going through my head. I won't go over each individual, but as a team they need to get their heads out of their butts. With the exception of a few matches I saw absolutely no fire in them at all this weekend. They are letting matches go to overtime that should not, not getting majors that they should, losing to guys who they should beat, getting ridden, getting bullied, not shooting at all, stalling etc etc etc. I could keep going forever. It's like they are doing the exact opposite of the "Iowa style".

I am hoping and praying they will get things together. Maybe we can see one of those magical finishes like we had in the Gable days...have one or two guys come out of nowhere and win it all....then our guys who are supposed to do good pull it together, and who knows. I can only hope for the best at this point, but prepare for the worst.

As a fellow Iowa fan JT pretty much summed up everything that's been going through my head. I won't go over each individual, but as a team they need to get their heads out of their butts. With the exception of a few matches I saw absolutely no fire in them at all this weekend. They are letting matches go to overtime that should not, not getting majors that they should, losing to guys who they should beat, getting ridden, getting bullied, not shooting at all, stalling etc etc etc. I could keep going forever. It's like they are doing the exact opposite of the "Iowa style".

I am hoping and praying they will get things together. Maybe we can see one of those magical finishes like we had in the Gable days...have one or two guys come out of nowhere and win it all....then our guys who are supposed to do good pull it together, and who knows. I can only hope for the best at this point, but prepare for the worst.

I believe what Iowa did over the past weekend (at Ohio State and especially at Penn State) would probably be best described as "Morningstyle"

I saw no fire out of much of the Iowa lineup this past weekend, having been to both of their matches. Friday, they were wrestling looking ahead, and Sunday, they were wrestling not to lose. Yes, resultswise, Sunday went as expected, but the way they looked was disappointing.

As I said a good many times, and I'm going to get no argument here, I hope the trainer had adult-sized Advils for all of the flies on the wall in the Iowa wrestling room this week!

It's no secret that Iowa hasn't been wrestling up to par, but with a healthy St. John and a healthy Grant Gambrall at his natural weight class things wouldn't be near as bad as they seem. I don't think these situations are going to stabilize by years end, so I don't expect much as a team at Nationals.

Montell Marion has sucked as much as anyone, and he's 18-2. Iowa essentially is wrestling with 4 backups right now out of 10 weights, not what one would expect. Gambrall at 197, Wagner at 184, Kelly at 149 (not real sure how good Dylan Carew is/was, but this was supposed to be his spot) and Nick Moore at 157 (big time recruit, has to find some offense somewhere while filling in for St. John).

Things are far from dire in Iowa City, but it certainly could be better.

Johnny, could you post similar "What they have to do" posts for some of the other teams? Individuals have to do "much, much, much, much" better? Maybe you could develop a 2X-5X much rating system?

Ooh, somebody has me in the dreaded "Claw". I think I'll play along. Well headshuck, Frank Molinaro, David Taylor and Ed Ruth are going to have to do much, much, much, much, much, much worse than expected for any team to deny them as BIG 10 or NCAA champions.

I think Iowa has a lot more potential in march than what people are giving them. Here are a few things to consider:

Last year they had some very lack luster performances at this time. 1 week of being locked up by Brands and it completely turned them around.

Grant Gambrall at 84 can go with anyone. If you don't think 13 pounds of muscle makes any difference; you have clearly never wrestled. I think his wrestling is a classic example of how the subconscious can alter your performance. It's common for a kid who wrestles up, or who is wrestling a higher ranked, to not wrestle to potential. You can quote me on this one. GG at 84 will be a bracket buster. What I don't get about this whole thing; is it seems like when we have a lower weight guy bump up and lose we easily attribute that to the weight. When an upper weight guy does it we say "Oh he's a flash in the pan, his isn't the wrestler he use to be etc". I'm either going to eat a huge crow; or a lot of you will.

Marion- On his worst day he is sitting at a low AA. I'm not going to be surprised to see him in the finals.

MD- Does anyone really think he is going to lose to sanders?!

Ramos- I think Ramos is in a good position. I think he can beat Carter if they wrestle again. He has already shown he can wrestle Oliver. To be in the finals- He is going to have to either beat an Oliver, Stieber, or Carter. Everyone is so willing to say that Oliver will win the rematch- and on the same token you can say Ramos can win the rematch with Carter. Guess what, he may not have to wrestle any of those guys to get in the final (With an upset)

157 - DSJ- No one knows the nature of his injury. I don't think Brand's is the kind of guy to throw someone out there unless there is reason to believe they can wrestle. It's rumored to be a PCL injury. When I partially tore my PCL I was given about a month by the DR and afterwards wore a brace for stability. I'm not so sure we won't see St John again. If he is back in the line up this could be a huge swing of points for Iowa. I will say this. 157 is a weaker weight class and If I was a Freshman struggling a bit; this would be the weight class I would want to be in. Anyone can have a good tournament and stand on the podium here.

Freshman Factor: This may end up changing the overall team scores a lot. Both PSU and Iowa have the potential to get some nice surprises or disappointments.

Iowa can still end up with 7 AA if GG gets down and they put together a good tournament. I'm not saying it will happen, but it doesn't surprise me if it does. Don't forget how crazy this tournament is people. A lot can change from here until March (injuries, turn around ie Q Wrights etc and team moral changes).

Agreed, moral changes by the Hawkeyes are needed.

LOL

Speaking of morals and also team morale, how much might the Hawkeyes' work ethic and dedication have been affected by the fact that one of the starters for Iowa has been allowed to remain a starter despite high profile legal infractions year after year? High standards of conduct have gone from being a source of team pride to one of potential resentment amidst apparent double-standards. :oops:

I spent a month training at the U. of Iowa years ago and I never heard of comparable violations' being repeatedly forgiven like this. But I've not researched the subject. So I wonder: might anyone know if the recent example of comparatively lax conduct standards is unprecedented? If so, might that not help explain the rather unprecedented dip in team performance?

"High standards of conduct have gone from being a source of team pride to one of potential resentment amidst apparent double-standards."

A completely unsupportable statement. Based on what? Your one-month tenure in Iowa City years ago when the "high standards" prevailed?

Johnny, could you post similar "What they have to do" posts for some of the other teams? Individuals have to do "much, much, much, much" better? Maybe you could develop a 2X-5X much rating system?

Ooh, somebody has me in the dreaded "Claw". I think I'll play along. Well headshuck, Frank Molinaro, David Taylor and Ed Ruth are going to have to do much, much, much, much, much, much worse than expected for any team to deny them as BIG 10 or NCAA champions.

Nah, I think he's got you in the "Sleeper" and it's working. Thought your assessment of the Hawks was dead on for the most part, except to add that not that much, much, much will probably happen by NCAA tourney time. Thanks, Johnny.