Sign in to follow this  
FreeThinker

NEW WEIGHT CLASSES US OPEN

What about the World Team Trials? Another poster mentioned that Women's wrestling holds the trials for Olympic weights first, then the non-Olympic weights at a later date for someone who didn't finish where they wanted.

That is not set in stone as of yet, but it is highly probable. What it comes down to is if that is how the coaches want to select the world team. It does allow us to get the best 8 individuals on the team with wrestlers being able to shuffle weights. The women's world team wrestle off was actually one of the more exciting events I covered last year because you get matchups of wrestlers you dont normally see during other competitions. So while I cant give you a certain answer at this point, I would expect a similar scenario for both mens freestyle and greco

I don't understand that? In non-Olympic years, the 2 extra weights are full-fledged World championship weight classes. Why would they be treated as if they're somehow inferior? In fact, some of the best wrestlers who don't want to cut so much weight might choose one of those as their off-year weight class.

It does not make those two other weights inferior, it just increases the chances of having our best wrestlers on the team. For example, if Dake can't beat Burroughs, he can try making the team again at another weight. I love this idea.

I am a little surprised though as this will increase costs. Multiple events will have to be held, each of which costs money.

EDIT 1: After looking at the weight classes again, the Dake/Burroughs example is probably not a good one (doubt Dake can get down to 70/154, but who knows with him). Pico/Metcalf/Olive/Russell might be the better example this year)

EDIT 2: Why limit this concept to Non-Olympic weights? Why not wrestle 57, 65, 74 & 97 one weekend and then come back with 61, 70 , 86 & 125 another weekend? Or even better yet, let the coaches decide which 4 weights will wrestle the first weekend. Let them decide after the US Open. Their goal should be to field the best team possible while still being fair to the athletes.

If a wrestler wins the US OPEN at 74, he still gets a bye into the finals at 74, would he also be allowed to enter another weight class (before or after 74 is wrestled in the Team Trials).? Once a wrestler wins a weight class (say 74), could he come back and compete at another weight class? If he wins both, he would choose his preferred weight class -- in which case the wrestler who took true 2nd in the weight class he abandoned would make the team?.....Not sure I like all that....

Bottom line though is that this concept, in some form, is a good one that increases the chances of getting the best US wrestlers on the team.

By that logic, 125 should be on a separate date too. For those who don't win at 97, they can try again later at 125.

Actually, each weight should be on a different day, starting with the lightest. That way, if you don't make the lighter weight you can always try out for a heavier one.

IMO, it's a dumb idea and, since all the weight classes aren't there, it's just another reason for less spectators to show up. It's a good example of why the sport is dying. Everybody's gotta overcomplicate everything.

It does not make those two other weights inferior, it just increases the chances of having our best wrestlers on the team. For example, if Dake can't beat Burroughs, he can try making the team again at another weight. I love this idea.

I am a little surprised though as this will increase costs. Multiple events will have to be held, each of which costs money.

EDIT 1: After looking at the weight classes again, the Dake/Burroughs example is probably not a good one (doubt Dake can get down to 70/154, but who knows with him). Pico/Metcalf/Olive/Russell might be the better example this year)

EDIT 2: Why limit this concept to Non-Olympic weights? Why not wrestle 57, 65, 74 & 97 one weekend and then come back with 61, 70 , 86 & 125 another weekend? Or even better yet, let the coaches decide which 4 weights will wrestle the first weekend. Let them decide after the US Open. Their goal should be to field the best team possible while still being fair to the athletes.

If a wrestler wins the US OPEN at 74, he still gets a bye into the finals at 74, would he also be allowed to enter another weight class (before or after 74 is wrestled in the Team Trials).? Once a wrestler wins a weight class (say 74), could he come back and compete at another weight class? If he wins both, he would choose his preferred weight class -- in which case the wrestler who took true 2nd in the weight class he abandoned would make the team?.....Not sure I like all that....

Bottom line though is that this concept, in some form, is a good one that increases the chances of getting the best US wrestlers on the team.

This way of thinking is the right way IMO. Lots of good ideas. Not sure why international doesnt do it this way, because college does. If you are the second best guy at 174 and can beat the 184, you wrestle off for it and if you win, you are now starting at 184 instead of some guy who showed up the same day and wasnt as good as you.

It doesn't have to be a big event. They could do something similar to the Olympic wrestle off for the spot at 60kg in 2012 between Scott, Bunch, and Humphrey. Didn't they just add that to the already scheduled events for BTS? We could just add each weight class as the "main event" to an already scheduled event. In any case, I too, like the kind of thinking that AngryFish puts forth in his post. Let's put our best guys on the mat, and bring our team back to being a contender on the world stage.

Edit: typo

I agree, in an ideal world, doing each weight on different days should produce the best possible team. But practical matters get in the way of going to that extreme.

1. Each "event" costs money.

2. Spreading the weights across multiple days will decrease fan interest and hurt revenue.

3. In order for the wrestlers to cut/gain(in the right way) weight takes time. I'm thinking 4-6 weeks between the events. Having every weight on a separate day would take too much calendar.

I think the right compromise is 4 & 4. ---- minimally 6 (Olympic) & 2 (non-olympic). 2 Team Trial Events

Also, my concern about the US Open Champ entering a different weight classes (wrestling before "their" weight class) is probably not realistic. If someone wins a weight class at 74, I find it VERY unlikely they will enter at another weight class if 74 is held in weekend 2. But the rules do need to account for that possibility. Is it allowed or not?

3. In order for the wrestlers to cut/gain(in the right way) weight takes time. I'm thinking 4-6 weeks between the events. Having every weight on a separate day would take too much calendar.

With the way that the non-Olypmic weights fall, wrestlers won't have to make drastic changes to their body composition (considering Senior level weigh-in procedures, and that the guys going for these spots are probably 'tweeners anyways). 61kg is pretty close to both 57kg and 65kg, and 70kg is pretty close to 65kg and 74kg. The guys in 65kg have it the best as it stands right now, because if they don't make the team they can decide to try at either 61kg or 70kg.

Crazy what-if scenarios:

Metcalf vs Taylor at 70kg, or Picco vs Simmons at 61