Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

8 Pounds Over At Weigh-In

Did he actually weigh-in or was that what he was over, if he would have weighed in?

Seems like getting on the scale would do more harm since it would throw off his weight loss program, in addition to not being at the weight class the day of the dual.

He did not weigh in, I heard early Sunday morning that Larson was wrestling. I do think this weight was over, but also heard he had a minor tweak of the knee and wasn't going to wrestle.

I do know he did not weigh in

It was reported by Jim Gibbons that Hall(ISU) missed weight by 8 pounds for the dual with Oklahoma. How is it possible for someone that is expected to wrestle to miss by so much? Can you recall anyone ever missing by more then this?

I remember that Nebraska had a 133 pounder miss the 2nd day of NCAAs maybe 6-7 years ago. He reportedly was several pounds over after making weight the day before.

It was reported by Jim Gibbons that Hall(ISU) missed weight by 8 pounds for the dual with Oklahoma. How is it possible for someone that is expected to wrestle to miss by so much? Can you recall anyone ever missing by more then this?

I remember that Nebraska had a 133 pounder miss the 2nd day of NCAAs maybe 6-7 years ago. He reportedly was several pounds over after making weight the day before.

Are you thinking of Kenny Jordan?

I agree supercyzed that Quean was a pleasant surprise and Larson got a louder cheer than Quean before the match. Ankeny had there youth wrestling at the meet.

And Howe is a beast. I don't see anybody beating Howe.

I am not sure what the story is, but if the wrestler stepped on the scale 8 pounds over it would violate their weight loss program and jeoperdize their season. It would throw off their entire schedule by several weeks. I would say a kid his size and weight would be able to lose no more than 1.75 lbs per week. This is just an estimate base on how the kids on my roster around that weight are allowed to lose weight.

There was a guy named Glenn Packer who wasn't going to make weight at Penn State in 1969. Coach Koll made it very clear that if you didn't make weight he would be "very angry". Glenn knew he wasn't going to make weight and ran away joined the army and ended up in Cambodia fighting insurgents during the Vietnam war. Coach Koll was a very scary guy when he wanted to be.

In high school, a guy who was ranked #1 in the state (Nebraska) did not make weight at the first day of state tournament. In Nebraska, the state tourney is a 3 day event and is 5 days after district qualifying. He was a senior and I believe was undefeated. That is a tough way to end your HS career. He did not wrestle in college.

There was a guy named Glenn Packer who wasn't going to make weight at Penn State in 1969. Coach Koll made it very clear that if you didn't make weight he would be "very angry". Glenn knew he wasn't going to make weight and ran away joined the army and ended up in Cambodia fighting insurgents during the Vietnam war. Coach Koll was a very scary guy when he wanted to be.

I only had a wrestling class with Coach Koll and always thought he was a big ol teddy bear!!! lol given your log on......did you ever work at Toftrees Andy???

At NJSIAA afew years back the whole tourney was abuzz about a lightweight high seed who just "cracked" and showed up for day 2 weigh ins way over. Kid didn't have the heart to tell coaches what happened in hotel room and stepped on the scale hoping the pounds would just vanish magically! This is classic teenage stuff and either way i ghave to laugh that, in HS and sometimes college, these kids just "crack" sometimes.

1976 NCAA's:

#1 seed Shawn Garel (OU) misses wt second day, by reportedly 10 lbs or more.

Teammates had crowded the scale supposedly to see if he made it-it was going to be close...

The balance beam seemed to steady out, but suddenly it waivers, then steadied again.

Ref orders everybody away from the scales but Shawn.

I never understood not DQing those helping the cheating.

Both wrestlers Garel beat day one were now toast. Wrestle backs only for those losing to semi finalists.