145 - Tyler Berger Crook County Oregon 152 3 3X Nebraska

152 - Bryce Brill Mount Carmel Illinois 136 5 2X Northwestern

160 - Ryan Blees Bismark North Dakota 141 5 3X Oklahoma State

170 - Bo Nickal Allen Texas 140 7 2X Penn State

182 - Johnny Sebastian Bergen Catholic New Jersey 110 16 2X Northwestern

195 - Chip Ness Buford Georgia 138 1 3X University of North Carolina

220 - Kyle Snyder Good Counsel Maryland 179 0 3X Ohio State

285 - Nick Nevills Clovis California 150 5 2X Penn State

I really only have Nolf, Zavatsky (Johnny's back is bothering him, plus Zac is really tough), and Pep winning.

I think Lizak, Moisey, Macri, Chisko, Haines and even Warner have a chance to win, but are slight underdogs. All those matches can be real barn burners, though.

Brown, Loiseau, Sponseller and Boykin all have really uphill climbs in this event. I really, really like Boykin, but the kid he is wrestling could possibly win NCAA's this year so he is just too good.

Hey tbar just a thought! PA looks like they have a really good team named if what u say is true! Did u watch the PA states? It looks like the chosen on your list are able to take it the distance. Example-- Macro in the Powerade--he has talent stamina and strength. He takes it the distance every time he is on the match. Chishko is also just as tough. He looks like he is moving faster and scoring more. Moisey looked tough in the AA tournament. I know that USA has more athletes to choose but PA has some of the best in the entire country. Of course the above thoughts are just my opinion. Thanks for listening.

matmastr, I agree that any of those guys can win, and yes, I watched states. I won't be shocked if any of Macri, Chisko or the Becahi kid Moisey win at Dapper Dan. They are all good enough.

Boykin is a total stud athlete, but Snyder is so damn slick it isn't funny. Snyder dominated Nevills and Haines. The only high schooler he hasn't basically crushed is J'Den Cox, a guy I think will win at NCAA's. Boykin kind of reminds me phsyically of J'Den, so I guess you never know but .... can't pick against Snyder.

Going to be an uphill climb for the Pa boys. I haven't watched Sponseller wrestle much, but I am not completely sold on Ness as being an absolute stud. Maybe Pa could steal one there. Nevills/Haines should be moved to the final match of the evening. Nolf probably beats Berger, not sure he could beat Jordan. There is always someone who surprises for Pa and pulls the upset. I think Zavatsky or Sponseller could do it this year. Zavatsky is a tough match up for Sebastian based on his length and leverage. He is really tough in all positions.

Without Chance competing, it takes alot of steam out of this years event.

tightwaist, this is Sponseller's first year where he has solely concentrated on his wrestling. He always played football and baseball, so he did not really go to too many national wrestling events. He skipped football this year and went to Super 32 where he placed 7th. Interestingly, both he, Loiseau and Zavatsky competed at 182 lbs at S32. Loiseau came in 3rd b eating Rocco Caywood 4-2 for third place. Bo Nickal beat Caywood 5-1 at Ironman. Food for thought, but I'd still pick Bo Nickal.

Loiseau placed 3rd at Super32 this year, his only loss coming to a graduated senior (whom Zavatsky beat in the finals). He will wrestle at 170 at DD after winning states at 182. He only weighed 173 on day 3 of states, so it's not like Bo is going to be giving up a lot of weight. Loiseau has beaten Sponseller twice over the last year or so and finished 46-0 for the season. He is no slouch.

Going to be an uphill climb for the Pa boys. I haven't watched Sponseller wrestle much, but I am not completely sold on Ness as being an absolute stud. Maybe Pa could steal one there. Nevills/Haines should be moved to the final match of the evening. Nolf probably beats Berger, not sure he could beat Jordan. There is always someone who surprises for Pa and pulls the upset. I think Zavatsky or Sponseller could do it this year. Zavatsky is a tough match up for Sebastian based on his length and leverage. He is really tough in all positions.

Without Chance competing, it takes alot of steam out of this years event.

tightwaist - Good summary on the feature bout. Without Marstellar they have to move Haines to the last match. It was going to be good anyway, and this morning there was a little "bring him on" talk in the newspaper, so that should make for some good fun.

tbar -

My predictions are similar to yours, looks like a bad year to be a PA fan. At the risk of these predictions p*ssing off some father/coach/teammate posting on here, here I go. But let me see if I can squint real hard though, at the lineup, and try to squeeze a few more points out of it so that the loss is not embarrassing.

113 - Lizak has disappointed in the big events this year (e.g. PowerAde, PA AAA States). Although his opponent is a zero timer from Illinois, and it is always hard to find top quality 113 (and sometimes 120) pound seniors. Maybe Lizak can go out on a high note?

120 - Macri is a nice wrestler, although a one loss Iowa State recruit sounds pretty tough. Let's root for a close match.

126 - Moisey has impressed me on TV, although the unknown for me is how he'll do against non-AA competition. If Moisey has won any open events this year then I'd give him a darkhorse chance.

132 - Sorry, but no chance here

138 - Chishko is very tough, and performs well on the big stage. Hasn't he already lost to McKenna though? Maybe we can get a homer ref call to tip the balance.

145 - Nolf is a rare kid who transcends his classification. I agree that he is the favorite here.

152 - I already commented on Warner in a post above, hope he was not injured too badly at Hershey. Even 100% though Brill probably still the favorite.

160 - Hard to predict against a Peppelman in high school. But his opponent is going to Okie State, so John Smith must see a high potential in his opponent. I'll stick with your vote for Peppelman because we need the points.

170 - Sorry, no chance

182 - I like Zavatsky here too. Undefeated this year in AAA and therefore not really challenged. Maybe he can score us some bonus?

195 - In general I think the AA guys don't do as well at this event, but I'll pick Sponseller as the upset special. We need the points.

220 - Sorry, no chance (BTW, I see that there is a lot of love for Boykin on this board. All I saw from him was his finals match on Saturday. Great story about Coatesville never having a state champ before, blah, blah, blah, but I thought he seemed pretty one dimensional. Then again, one-dimension is often all you need in the 220 pound weight class. But Snyder is a world class guy. Bonus for USA here. )

285 - Match of the night, and how often can you say that about 285? I am rooting big time for Haines because if he loses then the final score is going to look really bad. But I think he will win.

Go PA!

I'm wondering what makes Micic the favorite at 126#? He's never won a folkstyle national event that i'm aware of. In all fairness it has to do with his team's schedule and the fact that he's alot better at freestyle than folkstyle so during the off season, he's wrestling freestyle.

To me, this is a toss up match for sure.

Im not sold on Nathan Boston. He does only have 1 loss but wrestled his career in KY. Check out his match from last year at Flo Nationals vs Jake Gromaki PIAA AAA 5th at 120. I think Macri gets his hand raised at the end of the day.

Loiseau placed 3rd at Super32 this year, his only loss coming to a graduated senior (whom Zavatsky beat in the finals). He will wrestle at 170 at DD after winning states at 182. He only weighed 173 on day 3 of states, so it's not like Bo is going to be giving up a lot of weight. Loiseau has beaten Sponseller twice over the last year or so and finished 46-0 for the season. He is no slouch.

No doubt Loiseau is pretty darn slick. Nickal in many ways is the same kind of wrestler. He can funk with anyone at this weight. I'm only picking Nickal because of just how many national events he has won. Until somebody beats him ....

tbar -

My predictions are similar to yours, looks like a bad year to be a PA fan. At the risk of these predictions p*ssing off some father/coach/teammate posting on here, here I go. But let me see if I can squint real hard though, at the lineup, and try to squeeze a few more points out of it so that the loss is not embarrassing.

113 - Lizak has disappointed in the big events this year (e.g. PowerAde, PA AAA States). Although his opponent is a zero timer from Illinois, and it is always hard to find top quality 113 (and sometimes 120) pound seniors. Maybe Lizak can go out on a high note?

120 - Macri is a nice wrestler, although a one loss Iowa State recruit sounds pretty tough. Let's root for a close match.

126 - Moisey has impressed me on TV, although the unknown for me is how he'll do against non-AA competition. If Moisey has won any open events this year then I'd give him a darkhorse chance.

138 - Chishko is very tough, and performs well on the big stage. Hasn't he already lost to McKenna though? Maybe we can get a homer ref call to tip the balance.

145 - Nolf is a rare kid who transcends his classification. I agree that he is the favorite here.

152 - I already commented on Warner in a post above, hope he was not injured too badly at Hershey. Even 100% though Brill probably still the favorite.

160 - Hard to predict against a Peppelman in high school. But his opponent is going to Okie State, so John Smith must see a high potential in his opponent. I'll stick with your vote for Peppelman because we need the points.

170 - Sorry, no chance

182 - I like Zavatsky here too. Undefeated this year in AAA and therefore not really challenged. Maybe he can score us some bonus?

195 - In general I think the AA guys don't do as well at this event, but I'll pick Sponseller as the upset special. We need the points.

220 - Sorry, no chance (BTW, I see that there is a lot of love for Boykin on this board. All I saw from him was his finals match on Saturday. Great story about Coatesville never having a state champ before, blah, blah, blah, but I thought he seemed pretty one dimensional. Then again, one-dimension is often all you need in the 220 pound weight class. But Snyder is a world class guy. Bonus for USA here. )

285 - Match of the night, and how often can you say that about 285? I am rooting big time for Haines because if he loses then the final score is going to look really bad. But I think he will win.

Go PA!

At 170... is that just a pun, or do you think we don't have a shot? :)

Hope to prove the country wrong at the weights we're not expected!

tls62pa -

I'd like to claim that I forgot to capitalize it but the truth is that you are more clever than I was.

Now, if I had said, "I wouldn't give a plugged Nickal for Loiseau's chances", that I would have taken credit for.

I'd be surprised if Sebastian wrestles in this. His shoulder is pretty banged up (not back). He went to OT in the finals with Balboni (Old Dominion recruit) that he had crushed earlier in the year.

If he's healthy, he wins. Bonus against him? Lol, you PA guys are funny.

tbar -

170 - Sorry, no chance

Go PA!

Just an FYI the stats for the USA squad might be off. The Illinois kids stats are wrong. Rossi was a state champ this year beating three nationally ranked kids along the way. His wins at state were against Anthony Bosco(Ironman finalist this year) 9-0, Anthony Munoz tech fall 17-2, Austin Gomez 7-1 and Miguel Silva 7-0. Brian didn't have a single offensive point scored on him throughout the tournament. Brill is a 3x champ that scored bonus points on almost everyone he wrestled this year. Josh Alber is an undefeated 4x champ with a 182-0 record

tbar -

170 - Sorry, no chance

Go PA!

Just an FYI the stats for the Illinois kids are wrong, Brian Rossi is a state champ this year beating three nationally ranked kids along the way. His wins at state include a first round 9-0 win against Anthony Bosco an Ironman finalist this year, a 17-2 tech fall win against Anthony Munoz, a 7-1 win against Austin Gomez and a 7-0 final win against Miguel Silva. Bryce Brill is a 3x champ who scored bonus points against most of his opponents this year. Josh Alber is a 4x undefeated state champ with a 182-0 career record.

Didnt mean to post this twice, ignore. :oops:

I'd be surprised if Sebastian wrestles in this. His shoulder is pretty banged up (not back). He went to OT in the finals with Balboni (Old Dominion recruit) that he had crushed earlier in the year.

If he's healthy, he wins. Bonus against him? Lol, you PA guys are funny.

Sebastian? Isn't the 182 Joel Dixon from OK? Maybe that change was after your post.

Im not sold on Nathan Boston. He does only have 1 loss but wrestled his career in KY. Check out his match from last year at Flo Nationals vs Jake Gromaki PIAA AAA 5th at 120. I think Macri gets his hand raised at the end of the day.

Boston wrestled in IN for two years before going to KY. Won state as a freshmen, while Micic took third. His sophomore year he suffered his only hs loss in the finals, to Micic. Then he moved to KY where he pretty much dominated.

Boston wrestled in IN for two years before going to KY. Won state as a freshmen, while Micic took third. His sophomore year he suffered his only hs loss in the finals, to Micic. Then he moved to KY where he pretty much dominated.

There is no doubt that Boston has very limited national folkstyle exposure over the years. He does have a win against Russell in a 17 minute match, come on now. Macri is more battled tested for sure. Should be an interesting match but I think it'll be a very low scoring match.

Noticed a fair amount of weight class juggling with some pretty big name kids moving down a class (few it seems go "up"). No problem one would suppose, if the weight determination is fixed at some point and with any additional pound allowance checked at weigh in. In past years, and certainly not limited only to the Dapper Dan competition ,it's been rumored that weight checks are somewhat "lax" and not the closely watched occurance that actual championship events maintain?