Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Cornell Announcers Brutalize Lehigh

Sounds like the Cornell announcers had some fun at the expense of Lehigh during the stream of the dual on Sunday. Here is a sample:

"All Lehigh wrestlers do is stall, stall, stall. Every time they start getting in trouble they head to the edge of the mat. Chris you have been in the Lehigh wrestling room, is this something the Lehigh coaches teach? Is it a part of the match preparation at Lehigh?" "The Lehigh wrestlers have the logo on the front of their uniforms tattooed onto the mat. They just belly out to a man."

Apparently this was going on for the better part of the entire dual. Anyone have a link to a replay? This may be as entertaining as the fist to the back guys?

^^Imo neutral college wrestling broadcasting is best, though home broadcasters do tend to favor the home team. Lehigh does seem to have a reputation in the eastern wrestling community of generally having a non-aggressive style of wrestling, which isn't always fun to watch. Also, some non-Lehigh fans note off-forum that it seems at home Lehigh generally has officials who tolerate Lehigh's passivity.

On the other hand, I read comments by Lehigh fans that indicate acceptance of the Lehigh style and note that the individual wrestlers who employ it, do so because it is an effective strategy for them. In that connection, Rey won the NCAA's.

Interesting string and this fan favors neutral broadcasting and aggressive fun-to-watch Div I wrestling.

The problem for Matt Schultz is he's doing a RADIO broadcast - he has to say SOMETHING, he can't just have dead air. And with 7 Lehigh wrestlers not scoring an offensive point (three shut out completely, not even a single escape) Matt may have had a legitimate point - but he did not need to harp on it quite so much as he did.

Al that said - I think most Lehigh fans, and even most Cornell fans, would rather put this dual behind them. Leave it to a Penn State fan to dwell on it, though. :roll:

(Which makes me wonder - Flung Tiger, was that YOU doing the broadcast?! :shock: )

I think most would agree that neutral vs bias broadcasting is a legitimate topic of discussion. Of course look at who has a problem with it, an embarrassed (one would hope) Cornell fan and Hasek with his typical hypersensitivity to my posts.

what are you talking about i gave this thread an A+. all of your topics are pretty great but this one may be the best yet. you have a great attitude and i relish each and every one of your insightful comments.

Lehigh does seem to have a reputation in the eastern wrestling community of generally having a non-aggressive style of wrestling, which isn't always fun to watch. Also, some non-Lehigh fans note off-forum that it seems at home Lehigh generally has officials who tolerate Lehigh's passivity.

On the other hand, I read comments by Lehigh fans that indicate acceptance of the Lehigh style and note that the individual wrestlers who employ it, do so because it is an effective strategy for them. In that connection, Rey won the NCAA's.

wow, someone desperately craves the attention of lehigh fans. i honestly think stove pipe has a crush.

Wrestling commentators could do with a little more bias.

I enjoy the Flo World Championship coverages because they root for they openly root for American wrestlers and it gives their commentary more passion. In college wrestling, we don't need broadcasters openly mocking one team or another like the above example because that's just tacky. However, maybe a knowing who each commentator roots for could spice up something as benign as the NCAA Finals telecast. The Dake/Taylor 3 commentators clearly had a Dake bias and did such a bad job of hiding it that I want them to just openly admit it in the future.

Wrestling commentators could do with a little more bias.

I enjoy the Flo World Championship coverages because they root for they openly root for American wrestlers and it gives their commentary more passion. In college wrestling, we don't need broadcasters openly mocking one team or another like the above example because that's just tacky. However, maybe a knowing who each commentator roots for could spice up something as benign as the NCAA Finals telecast. The Dake/Taylor 3 commentators clearly had a Dake bias and did such a bad job of hiding it that I want them to just openly admit it in the future.

Imo neutral internet forum moderation is best, though some moderators do tend to favor certain teams. Stove Pipe does seem to have a reputation in the internet wrestling community of generally having a an anti Lehigh style on wrestlingreport.com's forum, which isn't always fun to read. Also, some fans note that it seems on other sites, Stove Pipe generally goes out of his way to insult Lehigh wrestlers and their fans.

On the other hand, I read comments by non Lehigh fans that indicate acceptance of this type of behavior and note that other posters engage in it too, so it is at least fun for everyone who enjoys trolling the Lehigh fan base. In that connection, wrestlingreport.com's forum has become a moribund waste land.

Interesting string and this fan favors neutral internet forum moderation and aggressive fun-to-watch Div I wrestling.

I'm thinking Lehigh should be embarrassed. :lol:
Right. Why should Cornell fans be embarrassed? Having watched the meet, I'd say the announcers were correct in their observations. The issue isn't whether they were biased; it's whether they were right.

"wow, someone desperately craves the attention of lehigh fans. i honestly think stove pipe has a crush."

not an issue. Troll pipe has been trolling LU on another forum to the point he drove most folks away, but now proudly sponsors the Lehigh page. whatever. rolls eyes.

The funniest part about these announcers is they incorrectly identified LU wrestlers for the entire bout. Gardner at 141 and Brill at 165 were out, and the announcers continued to say wrong names. I've seen other announcers start with mistaken ID but usually correct after receiving text, tweet or (old school) someone whispers in their ear. these guys carried it thru. They were terrible and Cornell should be embarassed. Doesn't Cornell have a school of journalism? (Hello, Keith Olbermann! No to Bill Maher or Ann Coulter)

Get a student to do next webcast!

^^Imo neutral college wrestling broadcasting is best, though home broadcasters do tend to favor the home team. Lehigh does seem to have a reputation in the eastern wrestling community of generally having a non-aggressive style of wrestling, which isn't always fun to watch. Also, some non-Lehigh fans note off-forum that it seems at home Lehigh generally has officials who tolerate Lehigh's passivity.

Interesting string and this fan favors neutral broadcasting and aggressive fun-to-watch Div I wrestling.

So Lehigh has a really bad meet and we christen it the "Lehigh style?" Please...

That's as bad as when one fan behaves badly, so we berate all the fans from that school. Again, please...

Thats troll pipes schtick. He's driven many LU fans from another forum, but now proudly sponsors it. whatever. rolls eyes.

The other thing about the announcers is they incorrctly identified two LU wrestlers throughout the bout. Gardner at 141 and Brill at 165 were out, but the announcers muffed their replacements for the entirety. It was kinda funny.

CU has a journalism school (Olbermann, Bill Maher, Ann Coulter), can we get a student to do next webcast cause these guys were AWFUL

Apparently they have a short memory. Dake spent 4 year s getting ahead by a couple points and stalling the rest of the match

^^^Another brain-dead posting. What makes people want to display their ignorance like this in a public forum? Anonymity, I suppose. :roll:

Apparently they have a short memory. Dake spent 4 year s getting ahead by a couple points and stalling the rest of the match

I'm actually OK with folks having that perception of Cornell wrestling - especially other coaches and wrestlers. Folks who expect that from Realbuto, Palacio, and Dean will likely be in for quite a surprise.

So Lehigh has a really bad meet and we christen it the "Lehigh style?" Please...

That's as bad as when one fan behaves badly, so we berate all the fans from that school. Again, please...

Typical TrollPipe. We are used to him. :roll: on we go...