Sign in to follow this  
Grappler69

Predictions for Pico at the U.S. Open

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pico beat Oliver, Metcalf and Russell at the Open/Trials. He is that good, despite many not wanting to give him the credit he deserves (note, I said "many" - not "all"). He absolutely mauled his Sr. Russian opponent, who I believe barely lost to Russell at the very end of the match. How people can look at that result and say that Pico will get manhandled by the other three is ridiculous.

I saw Molinaro gas the Russian and beat him with 30sec to go at NYAC, not sure about Russell.

I'll take that sig bit. I like your analysis as well and I think that you're right about Oliver's skill ceiling, but Pico's already hanging with senior level guys and his curve has been parabolic.

Okay, I bet that Oliver will tech Pico if they meet at the 2014 US Open at 65kg. So it is written, so it is done.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pico beat Oliver, Metcalf and Russell at the Open/Trials. He is that good, despite many not wanting to give him the credit he deserves (note, I said "many" - not "all"). He absolutely mauled his Sr. Russian opponent, who I believe barely lost to Russell at the very end of the match. How people can look at that result and say that Pico will get manhandled by the other three is ridiculous.

Its tough to guage a persons skill level based on one match with absolutely nothing on the line. Lets remember that Metcalf teched Caldwell with nothing on the line. Russians bring it when there is something on the line. An exhibition match against a FILA junior is your basis of him defeating several adult Americans for a trip to the world championships?

Coach Holt, ya gotta love it so far though. What he brings.

Im rooting for him more than anyone else competing in FS right now. I would really like him to succeed so it shows other athletes there is a better way to go about your athletic career in some cases. People are always mindlessly singing the same song that "education should come first." It sad because you can go to college at any point in your life. Going full blast at your most coveted athletic goals can only be done for a finite amount of time then you are done.

Im sick of seeing USA getting guys who are trying to learn a new sport at the age of 24, then people criticizing USA for bad coaching and bad athletes. As kids, our generation got duped into thinking that a college education would actually bring something to the table as a working professional. I would like to see Pico get his gold instead of getting 4 years for free, paying 30k for a masters, getting a few years on the senior level, then looking across the street at the kid on the construction site making more money than he does with more to show.

I agree. In today's economy, getting a college degree is not in everyone's best interest. If you're able to become competent in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, math), then college is great. It's also useful to go to college if you get a higher level of education in a field like medicine.

But for people with majors like communications, investing in a college degree may not be worth it, both in money and time invested. That's especially true in today's economy. The idea that its a good idea to go to college for the sake of going to college is baby boomer flame. Anybody who says that does not know what he's talking about.

Coach Holt, ya gotta love it so far though. What he brings.

Im rooting for him more than anyone else competing in FS right now. I would really like him to succeed so it shows other athletes there is a better way to go about your athletic career in some cases. People are always mindlessly singing the same song that "education should come first." It sad because you can go to college at any point in your life. Going full blast at your most coveted athletic goals can only be done for a finite amount of time then you are done.

Im sick of seeing USA getting guys who are trying to learn a new sport at the age of 24, then people criticizing USA for bad coaching and bad athletes. As kids, our generation got duped into thinking that a college education would actually bring something to the table as a working professional. I would like to see Pico get his gold instead of getting 4 years for free, paying 30k for a masters, getting a few years on the senior level, then looking across the street at the kid on the construction site making more money than he does with more to show.

i think you'll like this- http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

I think the story of the Open will be Tsirtsis! Kid is strong and holds position well. He will be tough to score on and has a nice leg wrap he can get on anyone! He blitzed a tough Zain Retherford twice last year! Jason will be the man,if healthy!

This kid is going to open eyes sooner than later. T-shirt will not stand a chance against the likes of Pico. I think Pico is a top 3 talent right now and on any given day could beat the best we have. I am calling it now, he will place top 3 and possibly win the Open.

The Russian who Pico teched last month, Emeev, just placed 2nd at the Yarygin. That is impressive. I know Emeev had some other losses in the U.S., but that is still extremely impressive on Pico's part. Emeev is a world class wrestler and Pico just beat the crap out of him.

The Russian who Pico teched last month, Emeev, just placed 2nd at the Yarygin. That is impressive. I know Emeev had some other losses in the U.S., but that is still extremely impressive on Pico's part. Emeev is a world class wrestler and Pico just beat the crap out of him.

I don't quite understand why Mr. Pico doesn't think Aaron's ready to enter tourney's like Yarygin. Unless Emeev wasn't 100% when they wrestled?

“Aaron’s not ready to enter that tournament,” concedes Mr. Pico.

http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

i dunno, kind of hard to fault Pico for not going to Yargin when only one wrestler from the US made it. Its also in Siberia in January, thats kind of a tough sell. there'll be plenty of tournaments for him in the future.

im guessing his first big senior tournament is going to be the US Open this year but i dunno. anyone have any info on his plans?

Beating one Russian at home is not the same as beating them all in Russia. For some reason smear usual guys tend to crap the bed when on US tours Emeev being the most recent example. Pico wast going to tech his way through the yarugin. I do wish he had wrestled though, I don't see the harm in prospects taking some loaves, but maybe he and his coach feel differently.

Beating one Russian at home is not the same as beating them all in Russia. For some reason smear usual guys tend to crap the bed when on US tours Emeev being the most recent example. Pico wast going to tech his way through the yarugin. I do wish he had wrestled though, I don't see the harm in prospects taking some loaves, but maybe he and his coach feel differently.

taking, pinching, same difference.

Pico was over there training in the week before the Yarygin with senior level guys. Perhaps his coach(es) felt that he wasn't quite ready based upon what they were seeing. Some are critical that Pico is rushing ahead with international competition too quickly, but not competing in the Yarygin just demonstrates that Pico, his coach, and parents are taking a measured approach. Good for him. How many kids get to train with Saitiev?