Sign in to follow this  
Chasden

Chance Marsteller is a Monster

Okie State is very lucky to be getting him, huge loss for PSU. :(

Today he had 5 pins in a total of 1 minute 10 seconds.

!st match at 170- pin in 17 seconds.

2nd match at 182- pin in 15 seconds.

3rd match at 182- pin in 6 seconds.

4th match at 182- pin in 7 seconds.

5th match at 182- pin in 25 seconds.

I for one can not wait to see him wrestle in college. I know this is a college forum and not the HS forum, just wondered if anyone thinks this is pretty crazy or impressive?

It appears that Chance is heading to 174 for college and in my opinion, he is going to have some matchup problems at that weight. He will be facing guys just as strong who also have a length advantage a lot of the time. Cael had him penciled in at 165 next year and that is where I felt he belonged. Not saying he won't still be an immediate impact at 174, but I think Chance would be a potential finalist next season and could of had an incredible career at 165. It will be interesting to follow. One thing for sure, he is going down as a Pennsylvania All Time Great.

In regard to those results yesterday, keep in mind the combined '13-'14 record of the kids he wrestled is 7-32. Of their combined 32 losses, 31 have been by pin. This is why I don't follow high school results too closely outside the big tournaments. These high end Div I recruits are so much better then most of the guys they have to face that you end up with some epic mismatches.

It appears that Chance is heading to 174 for college and in my opinion, he is going to have some matchup problems at that weight. He will be facing guys just as strong who also have a length advantage a lot of the time. Cael had him penciled in at 165

That means Coach Smith will have him at 157 for his first year...

In regard to those results yesterday, keep in mind the combined '13-'14 record of the kids he wrestled is 7-32. Of their combined 32 losses, 31 have been by pin. This is why I don't follow high school results too closely outside the big tournaments. These high end Div I recruits are so much better then most of the guys they have to face that you end up with some epic mismatches.

What? How is it possible that all 5 kids were THAT bad. I believe you, but wow, that is a crazy coincidence.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a medal! It's for the very reason that you just explained as to why I finally said over ten years ago that I cannot sit through another high school match.

The mismatches and poor skills are just too much for homey to have to sit through. :x

Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a medal! It's for the very reason that you just explained as to why I finally said over ten years ago that I cannot sit through another high school match.

The mismatches and poor skills are just too much for homey to have to sit through. :x

Yes … Perhaps a Shout-out to Kyle Coniker of Pittsburgh Central Catholic who held Chance Marstellar to an 8 to 1 decision in the semi-finals at Powerade.

Chance Marsteller Results 2013-14:

Wins: 25

Losses: 0

Forfeits: 1

Pins: 18 (maximum time 1:36)

Decisions: 1

Major decisions: 0

Technical Falls: 5

That's too bad Ban ... 'cause, I just sat through a pretty damn good HS tournament yesterday, and there was a ton of good matches. Sure the studs tend to have their way early on, yet come time for the Semis and Finals, it was a Barn Burner, with 3 of our highest ranked Schools all in the hunt for the tournament title.

I attend as many local HS Duals as possible, and support the local teams and kids. PLUS, once we get imbedded in the HS scene, we get to know some of the parents, and coaches, which makes it fun. particularly families that have multiple kids, that fill up the roster spots year after year.

Plus most HS's need the $ support for travel, extra uniforms etc... Traveling out of state for a HS team is expensive.

And as to the 10 second or quicker pins, look at just about any HS State records and we will see just about every state has a Fastest Pin record in single digit time. A hard double leg shot off the whistle, and the kid lands on his back... Done deal. I think ours in Washington is around 11 seconds.

Footnote: It's the mismatch of skills in HS, that create situation like Jordan Rogers at OSU. For probably 2+ years he pinned just about everybody in HS and at Fargo. He ends up in the OSU wrestling room, and can't get past the other young studs.

Well say what you want, but to pin a guy in 6 and 7 seconds and up a weight is amazing any way you look at it. Of course his opponents were not world beaters, I never said they were, please show me where any wrestler ever did that before in the same day?

I wish Chance would be wearing a PSU singlet next year, BUT I am glad he was against wrestling 165 for Cael. I hate wrestlers sucking weight, I hated Alton wrestling 141 as a true freshman. Chance is a solid 170 right now and I would rather him wrestle 174 in college. He can better focus on his strength and conditioning and not worry about losing weight so much. He will make a big impact at whatever weight he is at.

Footnote: It's the mismatch of skills in HS, that create situation like Jordan Rogers at OSU. For probably 2+ years he pinned just about everybody in HS and at Fargo. He ends up in the OSU wrestling room, and can't get past the other young studs.

I don't mean this as a slight at Grajales because I am a fan of his, but I'll always find it amazing that Eric and Dake were pretty much the exact same skill level coming out of high school (probably a slight edge to Grajales actually.

Less than a year later Dake was an NCAA champion. and Grajales... I'll be happy if he makes All-American this year.

It appears that Chance is heading to 174 for college and in my opinion, he is going to have some matchup problems at that weight. He will be facing guys just as strong who also have a length advantage a lot of the time. Cael had him penciled in at 165

That means Coach Smith will have him at 157 for his first year...

I second this! John likes his horses LEAN

Yes, I find it ironic that Chance will be wrestling at his walk around weight for a coach that is notorious for having his wrestlers cut large amounts of weight. Smith basically let Chance dictate terms as far as weight class and Olympic Redshirt to get him away from Cael. Have to wonder how the Rodgers Family feels about all this considering they moved half way across the county to watch their boys wrestle for the cowboys and this was one of the weights that they expected to be filled by one of their sons.

Well say what you want, but to pin a guy in 6 and 7 seconds and up a weight is amazing any way you look at it. Of course his opponents were not world beaters, I never said they were, please show me where any wrestler ever did that before in the same day?

Here is Nickal's weekend at 182:

1st match vs. a kid that was 3-2 pin 1:27

2nd match vs. a kid that was 8-5 pin 1:01

3rd match vs. a kid that was 28-10 pin 1:25

4th match vs. a kid that was 21-5 pin 0:22

Granted, on average, not as fast, but maybe that's because his opponents had winning records or maybe Nickal was taking them down and letting them up for a bit of a workout? Bottom line is I don't feel these results are really note worthy either because as I said previously, there are some epic mismatches in high school.

Chance is a solid 170 right now and I would rather him wrestle 174 in college. He can better focus on his strength and conditioning and not worry about losing weight so much. He will make a big impact at whatever weight he is at.

Assuming he is starting at 174 next year for the 'Pokes (which I question), how do you like his chances against Brown, Evans & Kokesh? I think he'd be giving away a lot in strength, conditioning and physical maturity, personally.

Chance is a solid 170 right now and I would rather him wrestle 174 in college. He can better focus on his strength and conditioning and not worry about losing weight so much. He will make a big impact at whatever weight he is at.

Assuming he is starting at 174 next year for the 'Pokes (which I question), how do you like his chances against Brown, Evans & Kokesh? I think he'd be giving away a lot in strength, conditioning and physical maturity, personally.

Could Stoley from Minnesota as well.

I don't know why Marsteller would take an Olympic redshirt. He won't get close to making the 2016 Olympic team.

A wrestler has to qualify in order to take an Olympic red-shirt; the option to take such a red-shirt doesn't reside solely with the wrestler. To qualify, a wrestler must be:

A past Senior World or Olympic Team member; or
    A top eight finisher at the 2011 Senior World Team Trials; or
    A top three finisher at the NCAA Championships and a top two finisher at the University National Championships.

I don't know why Marsteller would take an Olympic redshirt. He won't get close to making the 2016 Olympic team.

A wrestler has to qualify in order to take an Olympic red-shirt; the option to take such a red-shirt doesn't reside solely with the wrestler. To qualify, a wrestler must be:

A past Senior World or Olympic Team member; or
    A top eight finisher at the 2011 Senior World Team Trials; or
    A top three finisher at the NCAA Championships and a top two finisher at the University National Championships.

Of course. I'm just saying, even if he qualifies, it would be pointless to try.

Yes … Perhaps a Shout-out to Kyle Coniker of Pittsburgh Central Catholic who held Chance Marstellar to an 8 to 1 decision in the semi-finals at Powerade.

Chance Marsteller Results 2013-14:

Wins: 25

Losses: 0

Forfeits: 1

Pins: 18 (maximum time 1:36)

Decisions: 1

Major decisions: 0

Technical Falls: 5

Not sure if you meant this seriously or sarcastically but Coniker is a good wrestler. Just won the Allegheny County Championship yesterday, 5 matches and I don't think any one scored a point on him. Marsteller, of course, is orbiting a different planet than these HS guys, but give Coniker some props.

Not sure if you meant this seriously or sarcastically but Coniker is a good wrestler. Just won the Allegheny County Championship yesterday, 5 matches and I don't think any one scored a point on him. Marsteller, of course, is orbiting a different planet than these HS guys, but give Coniker some props.

I don't want to speak for the previous poster, but It doesn't look like it was meant as a slight. He was merely pointing out that Coniker has been the only person to hold Chance to a decision all year. Hence why there is a 1 in the decision column that was posted.

Here is Nickal's weekend at 182:

1st match vs. a kid that was 3-2 pin 1:27

2nd match vs. a kid that was 8-5 pin 1:01

3rd match vs. a kid that was 28-10 pin 1:25

4th match vs. a kid that was 21-5 pin 0:22

Granted, on average, not as fast, but maybe that's because his opponents had winning records or maybe Nickal was taking them down and letting them up for a bit of a workout? Bottom line is I don't feel these results are really note worthy either because as I said previously, there are some epic mismatches in high school.

Funny how you cannot have a Marsteller thread nowadays without the PSU faithful trying to promote Bo Nickal as a better option for Happy Valley.