Sign in to follow this  
mlbruem

Mizzou vs Northern Iowa

125 - Zach Synon(MU) vs Dylan Peters(UNI)

133 - Matt Manley(MU) vs Joe Colon(UNI)

141 - Lavion Mayes(MU) vs Joey Lazer(UNI)

149 - Drake Houdashelt(MU) vs Tyler Patten(UNI)

157 - Joey LaVallee(MU) vs Jarrett Jenson(UNI)

165 - Zach Toal(MU) vs Cooper Moore(UNI)

174 - Mikey England(MU) vs Cody Caldwell(UNI)

184 - Johnny Eblen(MU) vs Ryan Loder(UNI)

197 - J'Den Cox(MU) vs Basil Minto(UNI)

285 - Devin Mellon(MU) vs Blaze Cabel(UNI)

These are the lineups used in both teams last match - MU could use Barlow McGhee at 125 or UNI could use either Wolfenspergers at 141 and 149

Missouri wins 18 to 17 (I HOPE)

should be a barn burner of a dual

GO TIGERS

Women's basketball, or any other sport has zero to do with UNI duals being the the West Gym.

The fact is is that the coaching staff has insisted that the West Gym be the home of UNI wrestling, even though all duals this season, aside from one, has been/will be jam packed to the rafters (it only holds 2,200 people). Yes, even the dual with ISU will be held in there, and our dual with Iowa two years ago was held in there.

This hasn't been a problem at all until this year, but once this thing "caught on," it's now the hottest ticket in Iowa, and, no, there are zero plans of moving any future duals into the arena. However, once down seasons return (they do with all sports teams), this pressure for seats will ease and the West Gym will be viable again. Until then, through, I am one of the advocates for moving into the arena, as it is miserable in that place when it is THAT crowded (but I'm an elbow room type of person).

125 - Zach Synon(MU) vs Dylan Peters(UNI) Dec 3-0

133 - Matt Manley(MU) vs Joe Colon(UNI) Mdec 7-0

141 - Lavion Mayes(MU) vs Joey Lazer(UNI) Dec 10-0

149 - Drake Houdashelt(MU) vs Tyler Patten(UNI) Mdec 10-4

157 - Joey LaVallee(MU) vs Jarrett Jenson(UNI) Dec 13-4

165 - Zach Toal(MU) vs Cooper Moore(UNI) Dec 13-7

174 - Mikey England(MU) vs Cody Caldwell(UNI) Dec 13-10

184 - Johnny Eblen(MU) vs Ryan Loder(UNI) Dec 16-10

197 - J'Den Cox(MU) vs Basil Minto(UNI) Mdec 16-14

285 - Devin Mellon(MU) vs Blaze Cabel(UNI) Dec 16-17

This "best case" for Mizzou, as Manley will have to work to keep it to a MD, as will Eblen. 165 & 174 are toss-ups, but since I'm a Mizzou guy they're going in our favor... 8-)

I would much rather turn people away than have an empty seat in a gym.

Pack in 2,100 fans in West Gym and it will make for a better event (and home advantage) than having 3,500 fans making for a half empty McLeod.

This is a perfectly good venue for any dual: http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle. ... =205146049

Even if they lose hundreds of dollars in ticket sales? I see ZERO logic in that.

Pack in 2,100 fans in West Gym and it will make for a better event (and home advantage) than having 3,500 fans making for a half empty McLeod.

This is a perfectly good venue for any dual: http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle. ... =205146049

Even if they lose hundreds of dollars in ticket sales? I see ZERO logic in that.

Yes; even if they lose a few hundred dollars.

With how well UNI is doing this year and how big of a dual this is I feel like they could have filled most of the McLeod Center with a little promoting.

I'm not sure about "most of it," but definitely a significant portion of it.

I just can't believe that the athletic department will allow them to continue to wrestle in the West Gym next year, all the while knowing that to do so will result in the loss of thousands of dollars to the UNI athletic department. I sure hope that they move it, but it is a bit tricky, as this season is likely the big season that UNI will have, until the next batch of recruits come in. Next season will be good, but this is the money making season.

I'm not so sure I would pick Mellon over Cabel at 285?

Also, I would love a packed small gym over a half full big gym any day. In the long run it may keep people coming even on down years and that money comes back?

It could be a business decision in the cost of having it at the larger arena vs the West Gym? Not sure what the cost is for a dual but maybe a couple hundred people at $10 a head is only $2000 and it cost more than that to have it? Just saying it may be a wise business decision.

It could be a business decision in the cost of having it at the larger arena vs the West Gym? Not sure what the cost is for a dual but maybe a couple hundred people at $10 a head is only $2000 and it cost more than that to have it? Just saying it may be a wise business decision.

The "larger arena" is in use for women's orangeball that night. Unless you are suggesting using the UNIDome.

The "larger arena" is in use for women's orangeball that night. Unless you are suggesting using the UNIDome.

I am not suggesting anything just giving a possible explanation why it is not in a larger venue BB has said that wrestling is not going to be wrestled anywhere but the West Gym for at least the near future and that women's BB had nothing to do with why the wrestling was in the West gym.

Maybe I am late to catch on to this but I just notice this "cornercoach" character has a bizarre issue with the Borellis. I only noticed it before as a Stanford thing but now I see it is the family. Without a clue I am just guessing it starts with some personal beef with the father and is now carrying over to the son. Really, enough already. You don't like them - we get it. Get over it already. Tom Borelli has a long history and is widely respected in the sport. Jason is a very high quality person and coach and I know that from personal experience. Move on - I am sure you have some contribution to make posting on here - this isn't it.

1400 tickets at $5 would be seven thousand dollars. I'm not sure what it costs to operate the larger facility, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than that amount, but it seems like more is better when it comes to butts in seats.

However, I saw a couple 1000 member or less audiences at Central Michigan a couple years ago. That was only about 20% capacity - due to weather, holidays, or an uninteresting opponent. The big empty wasn't an exciting place to watch the match.

As a fan I've never seen a better atmosphere for wrestling than a packed West Gym. There is an energy and a closeness to the action that just isn't matched in bigger arenas. Even a full capacity Carver can't match the atmosphere. I'm so bitter that I can't get a ticket for ISU UNI. Anyone know where I can find one?

This dual is too close to call. Both teams are young and improving from week to week. I think Mayes has a good shot at surprising Lazor. Houdashelt needs to relax and get the pin or tech. Lavallee can absolutely win his match. Toal has only lost to Taylor, Caldwell, and Sulzer this year, he needs to handle the freshman. England - who knows? Eblen can make a statement, certainly better not get bonused. Cox should get bonus. Not sure if it will be Mellon or Heberlie, either way, too close to call. I'll be making the trek north for this one!

As a fan I've never seen a better atmosphere for wrestling than a packed West Gym. There is an energy and a closeness to the action that just isn't matched in bigger arenas. Even a full capacity Carver can't match the atmosphere.

I would much prefer for Mizzou to hold their home duals in a smaller gym, and move out of Hearnes (13k+ capacity) - which is off-campus. In the middle of campus they have Brewer Fieldhouse, which used to (at one point) seat around 5k but has been renovated over the years and turned into the student rec center. I haven't been in there in 20 years, but I'm sure it would not take much to turn it into a couple-thousand-seat venue. I'm sure they would be able to pull a good amount of students to home meets who don't usually go, as there are dorms literally all around it. The energy & excitement that the wrestlers and fans feel at a dual is part of the experience, and when there is 800 people at the cavernous & dreary Hearnes Arena the atmosphere is pretty much dead.

As a fan I've never seen a better atmosphere for wrestling than a packed West Gym. There is an energy and a closeness to the action that just isn't matched in bigger arenas. Even a full capacity Carver can't match the atmosphere.

I would much prefer for Mizzou to hold their home duals in a smaller gym, and move out of Hearnes (13k+ capacity) - which is off-campus. In the middle of campus they have Brewer Fieldhouse, which used to (at one point) seat around 5k but has been renovated over the years and turned into the student rec center. I haven't been in there in 20 years, but I'm sure it would not take much to turn it into a couple-thousand-seat venue. I'm sure they would be able to pull a good amount of students to home meets who don't usually go, as there are dorms literally all around it. The energy & excitement that the wrestlers and fans feel at a dual is part of the experience, and when there is 800 people at the cavernous & dreary Hearnes Arena the atmosphere is pretty much dead.

This is already being addressed. My understanding is the athletic dept plans to demolish Hearnes, and build a new, volleyball/wrestling arena in roughly the same location, but substantially smaller - around 3-5k. The stadium needs additional parking space and wrestling is widely regarded as the most consistent winner at the University. I think I heard something like $9k a month to heat/cool Hearnes, which pisses the AD off, rightfully so.