Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

T.R. Foley calls Kolat Best High School Wrestler Ever (link)

Q: These four kids are arguably four of the best high school wrestlers in the past 25 years. Just for fun, if they were to wrestle each other at the same weight class in high school, who would win the Iron Man Tournament?

Cary Kolat

Alan Fried

David Taylor

Dustin Schlatter

-- Henry T.

Foley: Cary Kolat. He was on a different planet in high school. Like Dan Gable was in college wrestling, the ability of a high school wrestler is still judged by how he compares to Kolat. Remember that Kolat placed fourth at Midlands while still in high school, back when that tournament had post-grads entering by the dozen and every good team showed up for action.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/12653

Q: These four kids are arguably four of the best high school wrestlers in the past 25 years. Just for fun, if they were to wrestle each other at the same weight class in high school, who would win the Iron Man Tournament?

Cary Kolat

Alan Fried

David Taylor

Dustin Schlatter

-- Henry T.

Foley: Cary Kolat. He was on a different planet in high school. Like Dan Gable was in college wrestling, the ability of a high school wrestler is still judged by how he compares to Kolat. Remember that Kolat placed fourth at Midlands while still in high school, back when that tournament had post-grads entering by the dozen and every good team showed up for action.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/12653

Neither here nor there, but I believe Kolat took 3rd at midlands as a sophomore in high school, then fourth as a junior. Or maybe it was the other way around. You can actually see the old brackets on the Midlands site via Northwestern. I believe one of Kolat's victims was Shawn Charles, an eventual NCAA champ.

Anyway, I agree with Foley's conclusion. My guess is the closest match would come from Schlatter, who I think was the next furthest along as a high school senior. That's debatable of course, especially vis-a-vis Fried, but Schlatter was the only one of these 4 to win NCAAs as a true freshman.

For kicks, we should make it an 8-man bracket, and throw in Pico, Retherford, Metcalf and Tsirtsis.

Anyway, I agree with Foley's conclusion. My guess is the closest match would come from Schlatter, who I think was the next furthest along as a high school senior. That's debatable of course, especially vis-a-vis Fried, but Schlatter was the only one of these 4 to win NCAAs as a true freshman.

Schlatter was impressive no doubt but he did lose a match to a fellow high schooler as a senior. Of course Metcalf was no ordinary high school, but I still think you have to drop Schlatter somewhat because of that. I do think Schlatter may have been the best true freshman I have ever seen though.

No he's not, you've got HS who accomplished more.

Jimmy Carr won the midlands beating the previous years NCAA champ in the process as well as made Olympic team while in HS

Kolat stated Carr set the bar for what he wanted to achieve.

Justin Kerr, RevWrestling.com High School Analyst calls Kolat the Best H.S. Wrestler of Past 20 Years

While picking the top 20 among so many worthy contenders was difficult, picking No. 1 was actually quite easy. None have excelled so early as Cary Kolat. First, there is the fact that Kolat racked up a 137-0 ledger on his way to four state titles in wrestling-rich Pennsylvania. Moreover, Kolat placed at the Midlands as a sophomore and as a junior, back when that tournament was as tough as the NCAAs. Among his great achievements in that tournament were pinning NCAA All-American Shawn Charles -- and actually wrestling a 1-0 bout with Olympian Ken Chertow his junior year. Chertow, ironically enough, had a much easier time with NCAA champion Terry Brands in the finals that year than he did with the junior in high school from Rices Landing, Pennsylvania.

Kolat even showed he could compete at the very highest level by placing at the U.S. Open. Beating top senior level competition in high school was almost commonplace for Kolat. For example, as a junior in high school, in an open tournament, Kolat won easily over NCAA champion Sean O'Day.

Kolat had a mystique about him in high school that made it inconceivable that he would ever lose. Even other great wrestlers seemed to say his name with what might be described as reverence. Like Hahn, Kolat was so good coming out of high school that many would consider collegiate career -- two-time NCAA champion, four-time top-three finisher, and his international career -- Olympian, two time world medalist -- a disappointment. He was two upset losses away from being a four-time NCAA champion, and an entire article could be written about how he was robbed by FILA out of being a multiple-time world and Olympic champion. Clearly, however, in measuring the high school careers of all wrestlers, Kolat is my pick for best of the past 20 years.

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/179