Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Is Anything Guaranteed?

Yesterday at Illinois vs Penn State, Taylor was ridden out for a good part of the second period - if I remember correctly, he didn't even get riding time (in his defense, Taylor seemed very, very outside of his normal self - a flu during this State College winter is not out of question). Of course, he turned it up in the third period and got the major, but it left us questioning - how crazy is this season?

Every single weight - except 165 - is a complete mess. The only possible undefeated champs are Taylor and Howe. Has there ever been another season where so many weights are meat grinders?

Possible Champs by weight:

125: Megaludis, Delgado, Garrett, Gilman

133: Ramos, Colon, Schopp, Morrison

141: Stieber, Retherford, Port (imagine if Carter didn't get hurt!)

149: Houdashelt, Tsirtsis, Maple, Dardanes, Sueflohn

157: Dieringer, St. John, Green

165: Taylor

174: Howe

184: Ruth, Dean

197: Schiller, Gadson, Rutt, McIntosh, Cox (Crazy to think previous #1 Meeks is now #14)

285: Coon, Nelson, Telford, Gwiazdowski, McClure, McMullan

Howe deserves to be the favorite, however, I wouldn't consider it a major upset if Perry wins 174. I'd probably include Brown, Kokesh and Storley in the mix. Howe is a beast, but has had some close matches in his career. And that sometimes poses a danger for even a dominating guy - especially when there's other quality guys around.

This year he's beaten Perry by two points, and more recently Kokesh by one. In 2011, he had three matches go to overtime, winning two and losing on riding time to Caldwell in the semi-finals. And the year he won it all, he beat Marable in another tie-breaker decided by riding time, Reader on a takedown in sudden victory and Morningstar by one point in regulation.

Howe deserves to be the favorite, however, I wouldn't consider it a major upset if Perry wins 174. I'd probably include Brown, Kokesh and Storley to the mix. Howe is a beast, but has had some close matches in his career. And that sometimes poses a danger for even a dominating guy - especially when there's other quality guys around.

This year he's beaten Perry by two points, and more recently Kokesh by one. In 2011, he had three matches go to overtime, winning two and losing on riding time to Caldwell in the semi-finals. And the year he won it all, he beat Marable in another tie-breaker decided by riding time, Reader on a takedown in sudden victory and Morningstar by one point in regulation.

Imo, if anyone beats Howe this year, it will be Perry.

Howe deserves to be the favorite, however, I wouldn't consider it a major upset if Perry wins 174. I'd probably include Brown, Kokesh and Storley to the mix. Howe is a beast, but has had some close matches in his career. And that sometimes poses a danger for even a dominating guy - especially when there's other quality guys around.

Imo, if anyone beats Howe this year, it will be Perry.

I tend to agree with this. Reasoning being is that Perry seems to have an extremely high wrestling IQ and knows how to win the close ones. As long as he doesn't let Howe jump out to an early lead like he did last time, Perry has a very good shot.

I'd also give a small chance to Kokesh. He seems like a goer and if he can somehow find a way to score on Howe, he may force Howe to open up and wrestle at Kokesh's pace.

I was thinking the same way - those top 3, maybe 4 guys (Howe, Perry, Kokesh, Brown) all have a chance at the title. But looking back at the close wins by Howe this season, I've heard that they were all pretty dominant. I didn't see them, so I'm only going by word of mouth.

As for 184.. Sheptock is ranked #1 but I can't see him beating either of those two.

apparently, St John lost to Ness and Telford beat Nelson today?? Did i hear right?

Ness got a crazy Reversal and 3 point NF at end of mat. Frankly, it looked like a fall, but the ref didn't get inot position quick enough. He's SO dangerous from the bottom....and St. John is so tough from the top. I'm a UM fan, but I didn't see that coming.....Didn't see Brankcal coming either. Did see Telford winning over Nelson though.