Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Now Evans wins with a blatant stall ride

I have to admit that with the fall of MSU I have adopted Iowa as my substitute. However, the types of rides I have seen out of some of the Iowa guys is hard to stomach. Evans may have won the match but what did he actually do to win?

I have to admit that with the fall of MSU I have adopted Iowa as my substitute. However, the types of rides I have seen out of some of the Iowa guys is hard to stomach. Evans may have won the match but what did he actually do to win?

I really don't think it was a stall ride, and I know that's coming from a huge Evans homer so will be taken with a grain of salt. However, Storley is INSANELY active from the bottom, what else can Evans do but return him and try to flatten him out? It's not like he was just standing up and holding him. I was saving this for my second half analysis, but Storley from the bottom is among the best in college wrestling, very active.

Rarely do I like to see an Iowa guy win but I'm glad Storley got beat. You just give away a point? In second OT? Are you that bad on top? And then after he did it, he showed absolutely no urgency. Heck, if ya didn't know the score you might have mistakenly thought Storley was winning. Why not throw in the tight waist and hang onto that ankle like there was no tomorrow...IOWA STYLE! Just give away points? Yeah...he deserved to lose.

I really don't think it was a stall ride, and I know that's coming from a huge Evans homer so will be taken with a grain of salt. However, Storley is INSANELY active from the bottom, what else can Evans do but return him and try to flatten him out? It's not like he was just standing up and holding him. I was saving this for my second half analysis, but Storley from the bottom is among the best in college wrestling, very active.

Sorry, but he dropped to the leg and ankle every time. By rule, that should warrant a stailmate and inevitably stalling. Believe me I like Evans as well. I like guys withe emotion. However, just because I am a fan does not mean I can ignore what I watched.

I'm a big DSJ fan and I like Evans alright, but I've never liked their ankle rides. Mainly DSJ.

Sorry, but he dropped to the leg and ankle every time. By rule, that should warrant a stailmate and inevitably stalling. Believe me I like Evans as well. I like guys withe emotion. However, just because I am a fan does not mean I can ignore what I watched.

My point is that Storley kept standing up, should Evans have not returned him to the mat because he had already gotten his feet under him? Just concede the escape?

My point is that Storley kept standing up, should Evans have not returned him to the mat because he had already gotten his feet under him? Just concede the escape?

My issue isn't with Evans. My issue is with the ref. It was actually a very smart decision by Evans. If the ref isn't going to call stalling then keep doing it. It won him the match. I simply think it was BLATANT stalling as I also thought Gilman vs. Lambert was. If you never come close to breaking a guy down, you at the VERY LEAST should be up the body and somewhat off parallel.

Evans won. My hat goes off to him. He beat Storley the only way I think he could. I think he is behind the other 5 at his weight on his feet. He manufactured a win, but I still would consider him an underdog against Howe, Perry, Brown, Kokesh and Storley.

This a HUGE issue and easily fixed (as I stated in a thread regarding fixing college wresting a week or so ago) - Make it illegal to drop to the leg when once the bottom wrestler is on his feet with no weight on his hands. Better still, make the no locking hands rule apply to all positions while you are riding, even if the bottom wrestler is standing. Stall riding is hurting wrestling.

Another obvious option is just to get rid of riding time, as it could more aptly be described as "stalling time" these days. I've never been for this in the past, but I'm really thinking it might be a good idea. I certainly don't think the lack of riding time hurts HS wrestling at all.

No, he doesn't have to concede the escape. However, Storley was initiating action by getting to his stand-up. It's OK for the offensive wrestler to drop to the leg and ankle to prevent an escape or a reversal. However, as MSU158 indicated, if you repeatedly drop like that (without attempting an offensive move) it warrants a stalling call by rule.

Michigan coach Sean Bormet tweeted this out this afternoon:

"Stall riding on ankles & leg drops increased w/ 30s ride out format & now it's prevalent in regulation time. Not exciting, needs to change."

I think a lot of people feel this way. It's not a slight to any specific wrestler or any specific team. It's becoming a trend in wrestling. Not a good trend.

Even the Iowa homer Tim Johnson is surprised at how the refs allow them to ride the ankle. All I think when I see that is kids wrestling club. If that's all you got for a ride then just let the guy go or learn how to work for a turn. I can't stand the non stall calls in college in the top position. The refs let DSJ lay on top of Ness (on the hips) forever!