Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Iowa 2012 v. 2013 v. 2014, Nothing Has Changed

I wanted to look at Iowa's prospects going into NCAA's and I looked at some things. It was said somewhere that the new guys coming in will replace St. Johns, Ramos and Lofthouse and Iowa will improve. But Iowa fans were saying the same things two years ago, and again last year. Has anything really changed?

In losing St. John, Ramos and Lofthouse Iowa is losing a lot of placement and advancement points at NCAA's. While the new guys are certainly good, there is no telling if they are as good as those they will replace.

Gilman is good, but is he better than a healthy McDonough? Not yet. Maybe someday, maybe never. Who knows, really? Jeva is good, but he isn't as good as Montel Marion was. Going out on a short and sturdy limb, I don't think he will ever place as high as Marion did on multiple occasions.

I'll give another way of looking at this. Two years ago Iowa fans were saying the same thing then as they are saying now. That the future will certainly be better. Now, I get that things change, so maybe this time will be different. But let's look at 2012 and 2013 NCAA seeding for Iowa and what 2014 might look like if seeded today.

2012 vs 2013 vs ..... 2014

125 McDonough seeded #1 in 2012, seeded 3rd in 2013..... Gilman would be seeded 4th at best, maybe lower by the time NCAA's roll around

133 Ramos seeded 3rd in 2012, 2nd last year ..... Ramos would be seeded about 3rd today

141 Marion seeded 3rd in 2012, Ballweg 7th last year..... Jeva might be about 8 to 10 today

149 Did not qualify in 2012 or 2013 ..... Grothus might be 12th today, but still having to face Minotti, Tsirtsis and Grajales he might drop from being seeded. Still, any finish at NCAA's will be an improvement over 2012 and 2013.

157 St. John's was 2nd in 2012 and 2nd last year ..... Today he'd be seeded 2nd or 3rd.

165 Evans was seeded 5th in 2012, Moore 10th last year..... I think Moore will ultimately be about 5th this year.

174 Lofthouse was seeded 5th in 2012, Evans 3rd last year ..... Evans would be about 5th today.

184 Gambrall qualified but was unseeded in 2012, Lofthouse seeded 12th in 2013 (finished 5th) ..... Lofthouse might be about 4th or 5th in 2014. If he can't go then I'm not sure where Brooks would be seeded. 10th or 12th maybe?

197 Iowa did not qualify in 2012, Burak qualified in 2013 but went unseeded ..... Burak would qualify but he'd be unseeded in 2014

Hwt Telford was seeded 5th in 2012, 6th in 2013 ..... Today he'd be seeded 1 or 2, but by the time NCAA's roll around anything could happen. He could be 5th again.

Iowa seeds today vs. 2012

133, 157, 165, 174, and Hwt are about the same, 149, 184 and 197 are higher, and 125 and 141 are lower, The improvement at 149, 184 and 197 is more than the offset at 125 and 141, but is there a significant difference really?

Iowa seeds today vs. 2013

Obviously better at 149. Somewhat better at 165 and 184 keeping in mind that Iowa beat their seed at 184 last year by 7 spots. If this were seeded today then Iowa is 1 or 2 spots worse off this year vs. last at all of the other weights.

Has anything really changed?

After a 3rd place finish in 2012 Iowa finished 4th last year. I'm guessing they finish around 3rd this year too. Everyone else will reload in 2014 as well. Minnesota, Cornell and Penn State will re load too. Maybe for once Ohio State will live up to the hype.

Why would next year be any different for Iowa? I don't see any world beaters coming into their line up. Very nice wrestlers? You bet. Guys that are so good they can change things up overnight? I'm not seeing it.

Iowa is going to need to show more offense to attract the game changers. I think right now they are sort of stuck in neutral.

EDIT: Since No One stepped up to even remotely rebut what I wrote, I changed the headline to read "Nothing Has Changed".

:D

I can tell you one thing, I'm super glad we've got back to Iowa threads dominating the top of page 1. This is way better than topic after topic of Penn St. nonsense. Let's keep the Iowa discussions going boys!!! With a bit of luck we'll keep it this way and never return back to the Penn St. dominated discussions on page 1!!! Keep up the good work!!!

I can tell you one thing, I'm super glad we've got back to Iowa threads dominating the top of page 1. This is way better than topic after topic of Penn St. nonsense. Let's keep the Iowa discussions going boys!!! With a bit of luck we'll keep it this way and never return back to the Penn St. dominated discussions on page 1!!! Keep up the good work!!!

The next big PSU match is Feb 2nd against Michigan. I'm assuming the front page will again be dominated by PSU topics. Lets face it, talking about the PSU train is much more entertaining than all the boring "Iowa Style" nonsense....

The next big PSU match is Feb 2nd against Michigan. I'm assuming the front page will again be dominated by PSU topics. Lets face it, talking about the PSU train is much more entertaining then all the boring "Iowa Style" nonsense....

Iowa's 5 take downs yesterday weren't exciting enough for you?

Did you catch Brands' interview after intermission yesterday with Shane Sparks? "We have got to stay off our backs", classic stuff there. He could barely keep a straight face himself.

Penn State topics are all about whether they will get beaten out as #1. Iowa topica are all about whether they will ever be #1 again.

Either that or Cael vs the double Brands boys.

TBar should get a prize for nearly single handidly making penn state fans look bad as a group. I say nearly since mopar deserves credit as well.

You guys get unhappy when a Penn State fan celebrates a win over the defending national champion, and you get unhappy when the posts are about Iowa (unless they are totally 1000% positive). I'm thinking the real source of your discontent is Iowa no longer being the top wrestling squad. Just a hunch.

The next big PSU match is Feb 2nd against Michigan. I'm assuming the front page will again be dominated by PSU topics. Lets face it, talking about the PSU train is much more entertaining than all the boring "Iowa Style" nonsense....

Which, it should be noted, is a matchup between the only two unbeaten teams in Big Ten duals.

Iowa has lost their luster a bit this year. They are still a top five to eight team for the next couple years! The days of national titles year after year are over. I count six Big Ten teams, PSU,Minnesota,Michigan, Ohio State,Illinois,and Northwestern that all can beat Iowa next year. When has that ever occurred? Not in last thirty years!

Maybe Iowa will reload by hiring another alumni back. Sorry Vak I couldn't resist.

People writing here are nuts sometimes. They act as if IA wrestling has deteriorated. I'm no Hawk or Brand fan but most wrestling fans would be delighted to have Brand's "sorry record" of success.

Noted...And Thank You :geek: :geek: :geek:

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

TBar should get a prize for nearly single handidly making penn state fans look bad as a group. I say nearly since mopar deserves credit as well.

Iowa has lost their luster a bit this year. They are still a top five to eight team for the next couple years! The days of national titles year after year are over. I count six Big Ten teams, PSU,Minnesota,Michigan, Ohio State,Illinois,and Northwestern that all can beat Iowa next year. When has that ever occurred? Not in last thirty years!

Oh, it's smokey with "Wait till next year." :lol:

Not worried about Northwestern "losing their luster?"

You guys get unhappy when a Penn State fan celebrates a win over the defending national champion, and you get unhappy when the posts are about Iowa (unless they are totally 1000% positive). I'm thinking the real source of your discontent is Iowa no longer being the top wrestling squad. Just a hunch.

Considering that you are a never-ending source of Hawkeye posts, you must love them deep inside. Just an observation, but you spend more time discussing them than you do Penn State. Mopar may be crazy, but he's not obsessed.

Noted...And Thank You as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Considering that you are a never-ending source of Hawkeye posts, you must love them deep inside. Just an observation, but you spend more time discussing them than you do Penn State. Mopar may be crazy, but he's not obsessed.

Penn State fans should probably worry more about losing David Taylor and Ed Ruth than what other teams are losing.

It's ok. They'll still around helping the kids after this year.

Correct. I think they will be fine next year.

125: Megaludis - Possible NCAA champ. Top 3 likely.

133: Guilbon - R12 or low AA type guy.

141: Retherford - Possible NCAA champ. High AA likely.

149: Alton - Possible AA.

157: Alton - High AA possibility. Ability to win it all.

165: Hammond / Nickal - Freshman. NCAA qualifier.

174: Brown - Possible NCAA champ. High AA very likely.

184: McCutcheon / Phipps - NCAA qualifiers.

197: McIntosh - High AA possibility.

HWT: Lawson - AA possibility.

The year after that they will roll out Nolf and Nevills to fill in for Alton and Lawson. Losing the bonus points of Ruth and Taylor hurts. Brown and Retherford will pile up bonus. Both Altons can score falls from any position. McIntosh has shown the ability to put up lots of points and Megaludis is incredibly reliable. He will score some bonus also.

Penn State fans should probably worry more about losing David Taylor and Ed Ruth than what other teams are losing.

Why? You think Penn State wrestling won't be FUN next year? I do. Cael will have our guys scoring loads of points next year. Whether they win everything in sight, who knows? But I can assure you that Cael will have them firing off shots in rapid fire succession just as they always do.

Penn State wrestling is FUN. :D