Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

If St. John is going to win another NCAA title...

He has got to start doing his homework. His loss to Ness Saturday was simply a result of doing something you don't do against Ness, you don't attack his upper body. Look at Ness's match against Steve Santos of Columbia last year. Santos handled him fairly convincingly by attacking low and staying low on the hips. That's what St. John should've done yesterday and he would've won.

I would also honestly look into contacting the University of Virginia and see if they wouldn't loan video tape of Jedd Moore Vs James Green. Moore defeated Green twice last season, and he did it by continuously crowding Green the entire match and allowing him no space to generate his outside offense. St. John allows for that space and as a result it allows Green to set up his shots, penetrate and score. That's how he gets beat. St. John needs to do like Moore did and crowd Green.

If he doesn't, then he'd be best off to do what he can to avoid Green until the finals.

My thoughts of course worth exactly what you're paying for them.

DSJ stayed low most of the match but couldn't deny Ness

I am a bigger fan of Ness than DSJ, but your comment is hogwash. DSJ had a 1 pt lead AND riding time. With that short of time he should have been doing his patented ankle ride and if Ness got even close to his head he should have let him loose.

It is hard to take the killer instinct away from somebody when they need it to stay competitive. However, a good bit of coaching or safety first mentality could have EASILY reversed that result.

I am a bigger fan of Ness than DSJ, but your comment is hogwash. DSJ had a 1 pt lead AND riding time. With that short of time he should have been doing his patented ankle ride and if Ness got even close to his head he should have let him loose.

It is hard to take the killer instinct away from somebody when they need it to stay competitive. However, a good bit of coaching or safety first mentality could have EASILY reversed that result.

My point is DSJ appeared to have the good sense to stay low. It's not like he didn't have the data. He failed continue with the strategy. I'm sure he didn't plan to give up the opening TD either. Had he not done THAT, the outcome would have been different. Or would it?

My point is DSJ appeared to have the good sense to stay low. It's not like he didn't have the data. He failed continue with the strategy. I'm sure he didn't plan to give up the opening TD either. Had he not done THAT, the outcome would have been different. Or would it?

DSJ spent quite a bit of time working for the fall. By no means was he staying back on the hips late into the 3rd period. Again, I really like Ness and would love to see him win the whole thing. I simply disagree with you saying Ness couldn't be denied. With short time I would have been SCREAMING for DSJ to stay back and do NOT let Ness catch his head. I am sorry but it is a VERY avoidable move. Now who knows, maybe if he cuts Ness, Ness still pulls off a miraculous takedown to win but I would have made sure St. John at least eliminated the possibility of the Elevator Ness has perfected.

I don't have access to the video, but in one of these threads someone was suggesting that DSJ was riding parallel with the bar and not really going for the pin. Is that possible?

Oh and you mentioned "short time." How many seconds were on the clock when Ness started creating separation?

Agree with MSU. DSJ is up by 2 with riding time. He rode the piss out of Ness and was doing the exact same thing. If you are the NCAA champ, you dont change up your wrestling style because the #14 guy pulls a 5 pt move out of his ass with 10 seconds left to beat you.

There is a reason why this guy is an NCAA champ. He didnt get there by not having a mastery of wrestling strategy.

Funny it appears you are disagreeing with MSU. I thought MSU was suggesting DSJ should have switched up his style and gone to an ankle or cut him loose?

I'm confused. All I know is I get tired of "woulda shoulda" threads. DSJ lost 2 matches in a row. He's human.

Funny it appears you are disagreeing with MSU. I thought MSU was suggesting DSJ should have switched up his style and gone to an ankle or cut him loose?

I'm confused. All I know is I get tired of "woulda shoulda" threads. DSJ lost 2 matches in a row. He's human.

I think he was agreeing with the part where I said DSJ was not riding safe with essentially a 2 pt lead and that his mentality is hard to coach him to hold back.

I am not meaning to create a woulda shoulda thread. I love to watch the Ness bros wrestle because they are exciting and find/found ways to win. I simply tried to point out that the move Ness used to win is the ONE thing St. John should have been coached to avoid, ESPECIALLY, in the situation it occurred.

The more I think about it this thread reminds me BIG TIME of the first Metcalf/Caldwell match.

Metcalf shoots in on a single and lingers. Literally EVERYONE in the gym is yelling watch the spladle. Instead of bailing out and giving up the 2 Metcalf clings to the single and we ALL know how that ended for him. When guys are this good their mentality negates them from thinking about safety first. I know that I had the "There is NO WAY this guy is going to put me on my back mentality!" and I was nowhere near the level of these NCAA champs. It has to be the hardest part of coaching to get winners like these to know when to back it down and eliminate ANY chance of the big move.

I was watching Ness try for 2 minutes to pull that off. I've seen it a dozen times. DSJ probably should have cut him much earlier, but he might have gotten taken down again. DSJ chose to ride and gave Ness a lot of time. Ness (in his mind) was not going to be denied (in that scenario of being ridden). Yes, I guess I agree DSJ could have avoided it.

Great to read all the Hawk faithful touting the stall, ankle ride "Iowa style". Mr. Gable probably is chewing the inside of his cheeks raw to keep from blasting the lack of offense IA has been exhibiting 5 takedowns in 10 matches, surely you jest. There is always a lot of fans calling for stalling in Carver. I just never realized they were asking for their own wrestlers to be hit.

I think St. John can make adjustments against ness because I think he is the better wrestler. Against Walsh , who is also dangerous , St. John avoided trouble. Against Ness, he hung too long obviously. Green poses a bigger issue for him, however. I think green's just a tough matchup for him.

To me it looked like St.John was too intent on stalking Green. And I think it cost him. Against Ness, Ness made a long outside shot and was able to convert it to a takedown. St.John did well to right the ship but just got got with that step over chin whip at the end. I think that St.John is just a little flat right now, Coach Brands might be best served by sitting St.John down for a bit so he can re-charge his batteries.

To me it looked like St.John was too intent on stalking Green. And I think it cost him. Against Ness, Ness made a long outside shot and was able to convert it to a takedown. St.John did well to right the ship but just got got with that step over chin whip at the end. I think that St.John is just a little flat right now, Coach Brands might be best served by sitting St.John down for a bit so he can re-charge his batteries.

If I'm not mistaken DSJ sat out the Indiana dual that was right before they wrestled Nebraska.

It's easier to see how St. John beats Ness, than it is Green, imho.

I think Green's offense is quite a bit better this year; he's a little better on bottom; and he's more confident/mentally tougher (which may be the most important factor of all).

His stamina is still a little suspect, to be sure.

St. John's best bet may be, as others have suggested, that someone else knocks Green out of the championship bracket.