Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

Who are the real title contenders?

With all talk about darkhorses and parameters of who's what I figured I spur on some vitriol about who can really viably win a title.

125:

Mega

Garrett

Delgado

I know Gilman beat Delgado and all but I can't see him beating 2 of those 3 in the tournament as a freshman.

133:

Rainbows

Colon

Schopp

Graff

Pretty limited group in a deep deep weight I know. Just my thoughts.

141:

Steiber

Port

Retherford

I think Steiber will be the man but can't take anything away from the other two.

149:

Maple

Houdashelt

Maple has settled in and seems focused.

157:

Green

DSJ

Dierenger

D. Alton

I still see DSJ getting it done. Ness could beat any of them but see 125....not 2 in the same day.

165:

Taylor

Barring injury, it's over.

174:

Howe

Perry

Perry a step behind but knows how to win and could put a 1 in 5 match together to win.

184:

Ruth

Dean

No disrespect to "Headlock Sheptock", the kid is a stud. I just think Ruth is the man, and Dean via the Scuffle.

197:

I have no freaking idea. Schiller is impressive.

HWT:

Coon

Nelson

McMullan

Gwiz

Telford

Tough to predict this one based on this season's results.

for the most part I agree. But I don't think Graff is in the running at 133 or Alton at 157.

Graff is a 3X AA at that weight, with a 3rd last year. Gotta think he can be in the mix for the title, not necessarily the #1 or # 2 contender, but capable of winning it.

I think Brown should be in there at 174#. I think he can beat Perry...not sure about Howe, but hey they haven't wrestled since the All Star Classic and we all know a lot has changed since then.

The way seeding is looking he will have a BRUTAL gauntlet to run to win at 174. It is VERY likely he is the 3 seed at NCAA. If he is the 3 seed he will most likely have to beat Evans at the 6th seed, then Perry at the 2 before finally Howe in the finals. The worst part for him is that is his BEST case scenario. If he falters at the B1G tourney he could end up with the 4 or 5 seed and have to wrestle Kokesh or Storley then Howe in the SEMIS before even getting to the finals against the likely Perry.

You can add Brown to the mix all you like. If I were a betting man, I would have to consider him a long shot.

I agree that Alton needs to drop from this list with the quickness and Brown should be on it. Any list with Alton, of all people, as well as Graf and Gwiz also needs Brown on it.

Alton may have had a "real shot" (which I interpret as a reasonably high probability, say 20%, given the guys on the list and the guys not on the list) without the injury, but getting his first start last weekend with so little to go before nationals, I don't see it.

I can see Brown beating Perry but not Howe. Howe is a bad style match-up for Brown. Too rock solid in all positions and even more of a beast than Brown.

Dylan Alton has placed 3rd and has beaten 2 of the other 3 in the past.

His past credentials make it impossible to ignore in my mind.

Brown has been owned by Perry and therefore I don't see him being a title contender over Perry and Howe.

BTW, Brown ain't losing to Evans ever again.

My picks would be

125 - Delgado and Garrett, Mega

133 - Colon, Ramos, Schopp

141 - Steiber, Port, Retherford

149 - Maple and Houdashelt

157 - Green, St John and Deiringer

165 - Taylor

174 - Howe and perry

184 - Ruth (I believe something was off with Ruth during Dean match)

197 - Schiller, Gadson, Cox, Rutt (don't know enough about Perry)

Hwt - Coon, Nelson, McMullan (don't see Telford putting it all together, but maybe)

Dylan Alton has placed 3rd and has beaten 2 of the other 3 in the past.

His past credentials make it impossible to ignore in my mind.

Brown has been owned by Perry and therefore I don't see him being a title contender over Perry and Howe.

BTW, Brown ain't losing to Evans ever again.

That may have happened in the past, but Matt McDonough also won two national titles in the past prior to his shoulder injury. Alton has barely gotten back on the mat and he's on this list when every other major contender has substantially improved since "in the past" happened? I don't buy it.

Brown has increased the gap over Evans, so I don't see why he couldn't beat him again.

Lord Nelson - if you don't recall Sheptock beat Dean pretty easily this year and if seeds hold true he will be up top with Ruth wrestling Dean in semi. Jimmy's article was pretty good in the Washington post saying Ruth was the guy to beat in March.

The problem with guys like Miller and even Realbuto are they are capable of beating anyone but they lack consistency.

Huh!? Realbuto is 25-4, losing to Green by 5-6, Dieringer by 6-7, and Taffur by 3-5. His only "bad" loss, to Perrotti (2-4), came in the first competition of the season, and he's since avenged that loss twice.

That's inconsistent? :?

I'm in complete agreement with the OP. Even at 197, I'd say the exact same thing beyond Shiller I have no idea.

DAlton definitely deserves to be in there if he is 100%. Hasn't beaten DSJ and I wouldn't count on him doing it this year, but has and can definitely beat Green and Dieringer. Assuming full health. At this point the top seeds are up in the air, so the matchups are probably going to determine the finalists.

I think the fact that he loses to someone like Perotti and also Taffur(although he is tough) tells me he is still inconsistent when it comes to tournaments. Has he won any tournament that he has entered this year? I could do some research but I figure you will tell me.

So, is Brown never losing to Kokesh again, too? It just amazes me what little respect Robert gets for the season he has put together. Also, if Howe is a bad matchup for Brown, you could also say the same of Kokesh for Perry.

So, is Brown never losing to Kokesh again, too? It just amazes me what little respect Robert gets for the season he has put together. Also, if Howe is a bad matchup for Brown, you could also say the same of Kokesh for Perry.

I agree. If Brown is in there, which I think he should be (particularly if guys like Alton are on the list), Kokesh should be too.

I'd put Browne on the list at 174. Not sure why Perry is seen as invincible; I watched him come within one second of riding time of losing to Wilps, who, last time I checked, was ranked #7.

I don't think anyone sane thinks Perry is invincible, especially since he has proven his vincibility by losing to Howe.

I think the fact that he loses to someone like Perotti and also Taffur(although he is tough) tells me he is still inconsistent when it comes to tournaments. Has he won any tournament that he has entered this year? I could do some research but I figure you will tell me.

No, that's dominance, not consistancy - two different concepts. If you want to say Realbuto doesn't look to have the horsepower to beat the top 2-3 guys, I would actually agree - for the moment. But his performance has been remarkably consistant for a freshman.

And as for Taffur - check out where he is in the latest rankings from Gregg Henry over on WR:

Gregg Henry's/WrestlingReport D-I Rankings

2013-2014 NCAA National Rankings – January 27th Update

157:

1) James Green-Nebraska-Jr

2) Alex Dieringer-Oklahoma State-So

3) Derek St John-Iowa-Sr

4) Nestor Taffur-Boston-Sr

5) Brian Realbuto-Cornell-Fr