Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Toughest Weight at NCAA's?

Toughest to what? Win? AA?

Toughest to win depends on who you think is the best p4p guy in the country, but toughest to AA is 174 and it's not even close. 2 NCAA champs, 6 AAs, and 1 or 2 points separates the top 5 or 6 guys. Brutal weight.

That's what I took from it--most guys who could win/place/upset. Winner will beat a lot of good wrestlers along the way.

After that, Heavyweight.

If it were toughest weight to win, that's easy--165. Unless you're DT.

Toughest to win depends on who you think is the best p4p guy in the country, but toughest to AA is 174 and it's not even close. 2 NCAA champs, 6 AAs, and 1 or 2 points separates the top 5 or 6 guys. Brutal weight.

Actually there are 7 returning AA's as Cody Walters AA'd last year and you also have Weatherman back whom Walters beat in the R12 to make AA status. Walters has been injured most of the year so he hasn't been very visible but healthy he is the 7th best guy.

Simply put 174 has more high end wrestlers than any other weight and it is BY FAR the easiest to pick 6 AA's correctly.

Actually 7 AA's if you count Cody Walters, which no one seems to be doing.

I don't think it is the toughest, I think 133 is, and HWT is right there.

I could see anyone placing 5-8 at 174. The top 5-6 spots may be locked down in random order but the podium is wide open.

133 is deep and unpredictable. 8 returning AA's and a ton of young talent +Joe Colon makes it a bear if you ask me.

174...hard to place, hard to win...easily the toughest weight. I think 133 is right up there minus a few NC's, but I do think 133 will be the most exciting to watch. 174 has too many guys at the top who play it too safe. 133 is going to be balls to the walls action.

I could see anyone placing 5-8 at 174. The top 5-6 spots may be locked down in random order but the podium is wide open.

133 is deep and unpredictable. 8 returning AA's and a ton of young talent +Joe Colon makes it a bear if you ask me.

Anyone placing 5-8? Interesting. You don't think the seven AAs, of which two are national champions, might be a little bit of a problem for anyone to place ahead of them to AA?

If I'm trying to AA, I would trade two national champs for an extra AA or two at 133 any day, especially if the difference in AAs at the weights in question is as close as 7 vs 8.

Part of the reason why 174 is tougher than 133 is that 133 is as unpredictable as you say it is. Unpredictable means higher likelihood of unexpected outcomes, such as more lower-ranked guys making it on to the podium (hence, easier to AA than a more "predictable" weight, such as, say, 174). Maybe even a frosh like Grey or Gulibon will sneak in there. At 174, who the likely top 7 or so are is no mystery (though how those guys place in relation to one another is much more uncertain). That's how loaded the class is. Anyone who AAs at 174 will have run through a brutal gauntlet. I don't see 133 the same way.

No offense to Colon, but it's hard for me to rank a weight where the top-ranked guy is a senior who has never AA'd before over a weight that has two national champs in it, and the one who won it last year is not even the #1 guy this year.