Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Poeta vs Askren

Thanks for posting! Fun match, I can't help but feel that a truly in shape Poeta could have ended up with the W on that one.

One thing that disappoints me is that I hadn't heard anything about that event before seeing this. Would have loved to see some info on this and even look at PPV for something like this in the future if they can keep lining up solid matches like this.

Poeta looked better IMO and lost on some pushout points. Askren proves he's still a winner though. After watching this how did Q Wright lose so badly? Matchup? Gameplan? Anyway, after the match Askren (again) calls out for a matchup with Kyle Dake. My question is this: Isn't AGON affiliated closely with CageFighter? And isn't KD in a contract with CageFighter? At the very least allowing Mike D to push the garbage trash talk from Askren to Dake has to put a stress on Dake's relationship with his sponsor. I would also still like to know the details of Burroughs departure from CF and who let Dake get involved with these guys after the laundry list of burned athletes/schools.

Sidenote: Sure I want to see this match. Who doesn't? I'll take Dake after Poeta's "success" against Ben.

Poeta looked better IMO and lost on some pushout points. Askren proves he's still a winner though. After watching this how did Q Wright lose so badly? Matchup? Gameplan? Anyway, after the match Askren (again) calls out for a matchup with Kyle Dake. My question is this: Isn't AGON affiliated closely with CageFighter? And isn't KD in a contract with CageFighter? At the very least allowing Mike D to push the garbage trash talk from Askren to Dake has to put a stress on Dake's relationship with his sponsor. I would also still like to know the details of Burroughs departure from CF and who let Dake get involved with these guys after the laundry list of burned athletes/schools.

Sidenote: Sure I want to see this match. Who doesn't? I'll take Dake after Poeta's "success" against Ben.

A rare win for Dake in fantasy wrestling!

A rare win for Dake in fantasy wrestling!

Wow, fun match. Poeta is crazy explosive. Without any knowledge of these AGON rules, it appears that Poeta outwrestled Askren in this one. Askren scored "cheap" points for Poeta stepping out of bounds, while Poeta scored points with beautiful wrestling technique. I am shocked that Askren could dominate guys like Herbert and Q Wright yet struggle with a smaller wrestler like Poeta.

Wow, fun match. Poeta is crazy explosive. Without any knowledge of these AGON rules, it appears that Poeta outwrestled Askren in this one. Askren scored "cheap" points for Poeta stepping out of bounds, while Poeta scored points with beautiful wrestling technique. I am shocked that Askren could dominate guys like Herbert and Q Wright yet struggle with a smaller wrestler like Poeta.

The way to beat the funk is through crisp, explosive takedowns. Herbert and Wright, while good wrestlers, are not phenomenal athletes. Askren I believe would struggle with Dake and Burroughs because of their combination of speed and strength (much like he did with Pendleton). Poeta looked very good here, especially for being so out of shape and focusing on coaching.

Askren vs. Burroughs. Burroughs would beat Askren, and the end result would never be in doubt. If Askren tried to be offensive, Burroughs would rack up the points. If Askren went into a defensive mode, Burroughs would still win, but he'd have to pick his shots, and it would be a low-scoring affair. Askren has nothing for Burroughs's speed, power, timing, technique, and range of attacks.

Askren vs. Dake. This is the the match I'd pay to see. They both have have phenomenal proprioception. They are great at scrambling, out-positioning their opponents, and scoring when there is a lot of body contact. Both seem to know how to always come out on top. This match-up would be fantastic to see. Two folkstyle legends.

Entertaining but frustrating match to watch. Askren has that same high stance and lack of sprawl that cost him in Fs while Poeta gives up a couple free points and can't quite hang on to a late lead.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too negative... But how are these matchups decided? Askren vs Poeta was fun but I can't even remember the other guys. Are the top freestyle and Greco guys not interested? If they want that MMA connection can they get top MMA wrestlers- Cejudo, Warren, Villa, Romero, etc... (Imagine convincing GSP to give it a shot) or get one international matchups. Aaron Pico is on a everyone's midrightnow, would he wrestle?

I guess what I'm saying I AGON needs more star power or at least noes intriguing matchups.

Entertaining but frustrating match to watch. Askren has that same high stance and lack of sprawl that cost him in Fs while Poeta gives up a couple free points and can't quite hang on to a late lead.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too negative... But how are these matchups decided? Askren vs Poeta was fun but I can't even remember the other guys. Are the top freestyle and Greco guys not interested? If they want that MMA connection can they get top MMA wrestlers- Cejudo, Warren, Villa, Romero, etc... (Imagine convincing GSP to give it a shot) or get one international matchups. Aaron Pico is on a everyone's midrightnow, would he wrestle?

I guess what I'm saying I AGON needs more star power or at least noes intriguing matchups.

Well this AGON was in Whitewater Wisconsin and had a local feel to the match ups, plus a youth tournament attached to it. That helped get the attendance near 4,000, reportedly. Poeta has a youth club in northern Illinois and The Askrens have one in Southern Wisconsin, so it was a friendly rivalry that supported their youth wrestling initiatives.

A few good ones about the non stop call outs since askren is trying to be scene as great as dake without being willing to to actually compete at an event with top flight talent

https://mobile.twitter.com/KingSalazarE ... 494656?p=v

https://mobile.twitter.com/SemWrestling ... 341056?p=v

Also see how they keep lying about attendance half the bleachers were puhed back in you can see on video https://mobile.twitter.com/WrestlingSHP ... 443968?p=v

This whole thing just rubs me wrong it lacks class all round and it keeps getting smaller and smaller with less exposure this thing will be dead soon just in time for askren to get back to fighting he doesn't care about wrestling

My stance...

Both Burroughs and Dake beat Askren in the AGON format and Freestyle for that matter.

In Folkstyle it becomes a little more interesting. Askren's funk was built for Folk.

I like AGON for the fact that they try to create "The Match Ups" fans dream about. Sure they won't get them all, but they are trying. Everyone tells Askren to joing the USA circuit and get the desired match up. That doesn't have the same marketing effect on fan. They would much rather go to a predetermined place and see the titans clash. There is no garantee Askren and Dake would meet up an an individual tournament.

I agree their PR and Mike D need to chill out a bit and a lot of people would become more receptive of the idea. I am all for wrestlers getting paid and it seems like attendance has been good at all the events so far. Sounds like they are attempting to build a steady platform and branch out. Not sure the ceiling of AGON, but am going to stick around to see how it plays out.

Poeta is the type of athlete that our sport needs to have involved after college. He is not Burroughs or even Dake, Howe, or Taylor, but he could push any of those guys to their limit and beat any of them on any given day. Sadly, amateur wrestling has no place for people who aren't immediately on the world team after college.

Now that there's a 154 lb weight for non-Olympic years, I really hope Poeta gives that weight serious consideration. He'd be right up there with any of the younger guys to be our rep.

Separately, Agon is just a fledgling organization at the moment, but we should all root for its success. I have no opinion of the guy running it, but providing more opportunities for post-grads to compete can only be good for our sport.

My stance...

Both Burroughs and Dake beat Askren in the AGON format and Freestyle for that matter.

In Folkstyle it becomes a little more interesting. Askren's funk was built for Folk.

Askren's funk is definitely well suited to folkstyle. But Burroughs would beat him in folkstyle.

Pendleton regularly beat Askren because he had such effective leg attacks. Askren couldn't get his funk going against him. Askren's funk relies on scrambling situations, body contact, and battles of positioning. Pendleton didn't allow those situations to happen. He simply went in for quick takedowns, and got them.

It would be the same with Burroughs. Askren would not be able to stop Burroughs's leg attacks, either. Remember, Burroughs is the best p4p wrestler in the world, and his strength is leg attacks.

My stance...

Askren's funk is definitely well suited to folkstyle. But Burroughs would beat him in folkstyle.

Pendleton regularly beat Askren because he had such effective leg attacks. Askren couldn't get his funk going against him. Askren's funk relies on scrambling situations, body contact, and battles of positioning. Pendleton didn't allow those situations to happen. He simply went in for quick takedowns, and got them.

It would be the same with Burroughs. Askren would not be able to stop Burroughs's leg attacks, either. Remember, Burroughs is the best p4p wrestler in the world, and his strength is leg attacks.

I didn't mean to imply that I though Askren would win, just that it would be a better matchup for him.

How do active US competitors and coaches view AGON? I know Sanderson was mocking it a bit, I don't suppose he's be willing to wrestle in it. If they want to keep getting the semi retired athletes how about Cunningham vs Pritzlaff? Both 74s with great careers and you always hear stories of their practice room prowess. I'd love to see Canada's Evan Macdonald wrestle here he made a career out of beating NCAA champs and wrestles a hugely exciting style.

2 things:

If Askren wants to wrestle Dake so bad, he should enter a freestyle tournament that Dake is entered in.

I think Poeta is coming back to freestyle at the new weight class (154 I think). Not sure if it's true, but something I read.

at the end of the Askren vs Poeta match. They asked Poeta what he intended on competing in the future and he said that he was done and retiring.

Askren wants to wrestle Dake cuz he is a competitor and he wants to make a profit off of it. He doesn't get both of those at a Freestyle tournament.